Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #1
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Help me organize these cabinets and my closet!

I am cleaning out drawers, kitchen cabinets, etc. I am mostly done, but these areas have me at a loss. I have a very small closet. I have some winter clothes that I can put in a storage box. We moved from a gigantic house to 1350 square feet. Help?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Beauty4Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me organize these cabinets and my closet!

What is tripping you up? Do you have pics?

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:28 PM   #3
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Beauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond reputeBeauty4Ashes has a reputation beyond repute

It appears that the pictures didn't load. It's the randomness of the cabinet and drawer. I ended up getting rid of or putting quite a few of my clothes into a storage box so my closet is nearly done.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that they might be glorified.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

On the closet with the medicine and stuff, my first thought is you need plastic drawer units like this

https://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-205...lastic+drawers

or this

https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-Min...lastic+drawers depending on how broad you want your categories. Then label them with either a label maker, sticky labels, or just little papers taped on. For example you might have cold medicines, cotton balls and q-tips, supplements, etc, as categories.

You might then be able to move some of the stuff from your drawer pic into that closet- there is a lot of unused space there.

As for the clothes closet, what is on the top shelf? How often do you use that stuff? And what about the blue drawers underneath- what is in them?

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Reva (05-08-2018), Soliloquy (05-07-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #5
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

This is the after pic of my closet. I moved winter clothes into a box and got rid of a dozen items. I have a few pairs of shorts and shirts that I want to be easily accessible on top, along with some printer paper and a couple of artist stretch canvases. I have underwear, socks, bras, and clothing in the drawers. I will go through the drawers tomorrow, I may be able to get rid of some stuff. I have a couple of pairs of the baby's shoes on the floor. The hanging shoe holder is pretty full, in spite of my not having many pairs of shoes.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 05-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
Aerynne
Rose Garden

A few thoughts. I would look at moving paper out first since that’s a different category. It is a small closet so don’t feel bad that it’s hard to fit stuff, let alone make it look nice. What about a back of the closet door shoe organizer to free up more space? Also do you have more room in a dresser or nightstand drawer? What about getting some under bed storage boxes?

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 05-07-2018, 08:22 PM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to ask about a dresser, too. I only hang long sleeve tops (if I had a really nice short-sleeve top I'd hang it but mine are all casual). I fold jeans and sweaters put them on a shelf in my closet. I have a hanging shoe organizer like yours. Bedding goes in my closet, too. But everything else goes in my dresser-- short sleeve tops, fitness clothes, sleep clothes, bras, underwear, socks. The baby has the bottom drawer of my dresser. Which she constantly empties and puts everything back in. I've given up on keep that drawer organized.

For my bathroom closet I have old plastic baskets that I got at Target or something back in the 1990s. But they still keep things organized. I have one for first aid (bandages, thermometer, etc; one for meds, EOs, and ointments; one for extra hygiene supplies (toothbrushes, tooth powder, shampoo); and one for extra beauty supplies. Then I have a separate one for travel-- smaller bottles, etc.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

I don't have a dresser, we left it in NY and if the house ever sells, we will go back for it. Our bed is on the floor, there is no space between the box spring and the floor. I find it easier to hang my clothes then to fold them. Be back later...

---------- Post added 05-08-2018 at 12:04 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-07-2018 at 11:36 PM ----------

I have my files on the bottom shelf of the book case. There is not a lot of space for the paper and envelopes. I prefer to keep it out of the reach of R. (Never mind, I found a different option.)

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 05-08-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

What do I do with these bags of beans and grains in the first cabinet and the bags of sugars and such in the second one? The first cabinet has 2+ lb bags of cracked wheat and various beans.

My book cases. I feel despair when I see them. I could put books back in boxes, but I would prefer not to.

---------- Post added at 12:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Some of the pictures didn't load.

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 PM ----------

What do you do with extra school notebooks that are still mostly full of blank papers? So many notebooks taking up space on the book case.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 05-08-2018, 02:58 PM   #10
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Book cases are done. It was just a matter of removing the binders from the bottom shelf and putting them in the top of my closet. That way I can keep them out of reach of the toddler. An added bonus, I can see the extra perfectly good school supplies for next year. My closet is looking pretty good.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 05-08-2018, 04:56 PM   #11
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I bought containers from Amazon to hold legumes and other dry foods. I can get a link later, if you like.

Would you consider a cheap, used dresser for the meantime? I couldn't live very long without a dresser.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:58 PM   #12
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

I would consider a used dresser, but we really don't have much space for one.

I used Mason jars for spices and beans. I have a couple of plastic containers that will be empty soon, one had nuts, another has coconut sugar, and the last one has coconut flour. It's a start.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

Old 05-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #13
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I would take everything out of your closet and purge again. Velvet hangers, all the same color and style (I like the ones with a bottom for pants and curvy bits to hold up camisoles.)

Add another shelf up top, 3/4 depth if you can't swing a full shelf because of the frame. Use boxes, maybe the cardboard shoe box style storage bins? to keep things up there that you rarely reach or need. Paper can be put in another space all together OR maybe in a magazine holder so it is vertical.

Over the door shoe rack, the kind with double mesh pockets (I know Amazon has those) will let you do shoes and other accessories like folded up scarves and rolled up belts in a smaller space.

I like Lock N Lock containers for stuff like bagged groceries.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #14
Beauty4Ashes
Rose Garden

Book cases are done. There are 3 shirts that are gifts, but won't be in my closet forever. Other then that, I think that I have culled as much as I can from my closet. There is really not much in there to begin with. Mil is visiting for a week, so I am not going out shopping too much. Maybe next week I will look for something to hold papers and office supplies. I have a magazine rack at my parents' house that I bought for my room. Maybe I will use that.

mom to B (6/2004)
D (6/2005)
L 4/2008
R 9/2015

The Following User Says Thank You to Beauty4Ashes For This Useful Post:
MegMarch (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 01:41 PM   #15
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

If your pantry is small (mine is), square and rectangular containers give you the most volume for their footprint. When I had a huge pantry, I used jars. Now I go for the biggest bang for the footprint.

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

By the way, I've been procrastinating on my closet. Your thread inspired me to get started.