Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default 12-12-12 project (minimalism/decluttering related)final update post 26

Okay so I just made this up. But I want to know if anyone will play with me. Here is how it works:

For the next 12 days including today, I am going to pick 12 categories of items that I will pare down to 12 things in each category. I am putting the rest of my items in that category in a sealed box. We then live without the items for 12 weeks and at the end we reevaluate what we want to keep and what we didn't actually miss. While nothing has to go permanently, this is an idea to help declutter without the commitment of permanence. 12 weeks ends on 12-15 in case anyone wants to know.

This can be as easy or as hard as you like. Someone who is just starting decluttering can do something easier like limiting themselves to 12 pair of footwear, whereas perhaps a die-hard minimalist could limit themselves to 12 items of clothing (this will not be me).

If anyone wants to play, please post what category you picked and what you decluttered.

So today I pared down my kitchen utensils (which were driving me crazy! You should have seen my utensil drawer!) to 12 items (kitchen utensils defined by me as any implement that is designed to serve or measure food, but does not include knives or eating utensils).

-a peeler
-a set of measuring cups
-a set of measuring spoons
-2 bamboo spoons
-1 plastic serving spoon
-1 can opener
-1 rubber spatula
-1 pancake spatula
-1 brownie spatula
-1 pizza cutter
-1 whisk

You can make up whatever rules you want. For example I am counting a set of measuring cups as one item.

Some ideas, some easy and some hard:

12 pair of footwear
12 shirts
12 pair of pants
12 board games
12 puzzles
12 kid art supplies
12 baking dishes
12 pots and pans
12 drinking glasses/cups/mugs
12 kitchen utensils
12 cleaning products
12 items of jewelry
12 baby toys
12 kinds of toys (sets like legos count as one)
12 board books
12 towels
12 pieces of furniture
12 yard toys
12 outfits per person

It doesn't have to be stuff, either. To simplify your schedule you could pick:

12 outside-the-home commitments per week
12 entrees you will make for dinner
12 websites you will visit
12 people you can text or call (except in case of emergency or necessity)
12 places outside the home you will go to (church, library, bank, etc)

Whatever- anything you want, your rules about what counts as an item.

Will anyone play with me?

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

I have now also pared my board books down to 12

Autumn by Gerda Mueller
Summer (can't find it but I know it's out somewhere so I'm counting it)
Blue Hat, Green Hat
an Usborne farm book
I am a Bunny
Bunny's Noisy Book
the Very Hungry Caterpillar
Diggers and Dumpers
Pajama Time
I Howl, I Growl
Forest Bright, Forest Night

Now I can't remember the last one and so I can't go look.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day

Last edited by Aerynne; 12-14-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (09-25-2014), cro (11-09-2014), kiloyd (09-25-2014), Soliloquy (09-25-2014), tessiemae (10-26-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 12-12-12 project (minimalism/decluttering related)

Oooh, sounds fun. I don't feel like I can do it right now, being in the middle of moving and all, but im grabbing some popcorn.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-22-2014)
Old 09-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

That's fine, too. Cheer me on, then?

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014, 03:11 AM   #4
Love_Is_Patient
Rose Trellis

Love_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds like a neat idea! I should try it since it will motivate me to organize some things just to see how many I have, lol.
Aerynne (09-23-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

I have now reduced my clothing down to 12 bottoms and 12 tops. I am choosing to count pajamas, but not underwear or outerwear, in the totals.

3 skirts (plum print, light blue print, black solid)
1 pair of capris (olive)
1 pair of shorts (khaki)
1 pair of black pants
1 pair of black yoga pants
2 pair of jeans
2 pajama bottoms, one light and one heavier
1 pair of thermal pants

2 polo shirts
5 t-shirts
1 long-sleeved t-shirt
2 dressy tops (one goes with each skirt)
1 lighter pajama top
1 sweater

I am hoping to do this for my kids today as well, except Bunny because he still pees in his pants so I need lots of bottoms for him.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 09-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #6
sprout
Rose Garden

sprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond reputesprout has a reputation beyond repute

neat idea!
sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sprout For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #7
KSM
Seedling Rose

KSM is on a distinguished road

I'll play! But, I don't think I can do 12 days worth. Most of out stuff has already been pared down to 12 or fewer items. I'll do 3 days? 1 day for each kid's clothing.
KSM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KSM For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM View Post
I'll play! But, I don't think I can do 12 days worth. Most of out stuff has already been pared down to 12 or fewer items. I'll do 3 days? 1 day for each kid's clothing.
Wow, really? You should make a photo house tour. I would love to see it! Will you tell me what kinds of items you already have 12 or fewer of? I'd love to know for inspiration's sake!

I did our bath towels, so now I'm up to four categories.

What do you guys think I should do next (after my kids' clothes) and why?

I'm considering:

board games

puzzles (because I have puzzles for four kids of different ages, including the wood ones for babies, this could be a challenge. Or maybe I already have 12 or fewer)

kids' art supplies (a set of crayons would count as one item, though)

office supplies (12 types of office supplies- scissors, stapler, pens, etc)

toys (I'm probably almost there with toys anyway)

but I'm also open to suggestions

I'm loving cooking in my kitchen now with fewer utensils! And I'm excited about my new wardrobe!

I've always tried to be a minimalist. But I've never limited myself to an arbitrary number before, and I've never done massive scale temporary decluttering before (it's always been permanent). I must say I'm liking this!

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (09-26-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 06:41 PM   #9
KSM
Seedling Rose

KSM is on a distinguished road

I'll try to get pictures tomorrow after my kids are up and going. I've never thought of myself as minimalist before, just economical. Lol. Or I may be taking this the wrong way and not thinking the same as you? I'll give some examples:

Bath towels - family of 5, 2 towels each + 2 for guests = 12

Sheets - 3 sets for master bed, 2 twin sets for ds1, 4 crib/toddler sets for ds2&3, 1 set for guest futon. = 10 sets of sheets

My clothes
-10 shirts
- 9 skirts, 2 pants, 1 shorts
-12 dresses (maybe counting skirts and dresses is cheating?)
-6 pair shoes.

Kids toys
- 3 little people sets
- play kitchen
- indoor basketball goal with balls
- ball pit with slide
- Mr. potato head
- 1 small box of blocks
- 1 small box of cars
- 2-3 talking book type toys
- there is a box of toys they never played with that I had just put away...

- I don't know how many clothes my kids have, but it is way too many! 1 & 3 to wore the same size for 6-8 months. Now that 3yo finally grew, 1yo has enough for 2.

Art supplies
- 1 pencil box full of each
• markers
• pencils
• crayons
• sharpies
- 3 sets paint (1 for each boy)
- 2 pair scissors
- glue
- glitter
- 1 folder full of stickers

We do have hundreds of books though. I love books and am always collecting more. Definitely not minimalist there.
KSM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KSM For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-25-2014), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (09-26-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I'll play but I have to think first. I have a downsized wardrobe already, very few shoes, etc. My kids need to downsize, though.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-25-2014)
Old 09-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Aerynne
Rose Garden

KSM, I don't think anything is cheating. You can make the right categories for however much of something you want. It's just a matter of how much of a minimalist you want to be. Like I said, a category could be "pairs of shoes" if you're not much of a minimalist or it could be "items of clothing" if you're a die-hard.

All my kids' clothes are done. They were pretty happy to do it. I think the fact that I declutter constantly, both for myself and with my kids (their rooms) helps them realize that it really is helping them. My dd even said she had wanted to declutter her clothes again but needed my help (I'm not sure why she didn't ask, but she didn't).

My kitchen is so much easier to keep clean. Tonight I had time to play with play dough with my kids because cleaning the kitchen was faster. And I know the clothes thing is going to help so much! Now I have to decide what is next.

Soliloquy, I'd start with whatever is bugging you the most. My utensils were driving me insane which is why I started with those.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 09-26-2014, 06:04 AM   #12
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

So, I always feel like I cant declutter my kitchen items (utensils, pots and small appliances) because I cook so much from scratch that I really use them all. But it sounds like you were using all yours too, Erin (since you were cleaning them.) Do you find it makes food prep more of a hassle not to have all your items?

Last edited by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord; 09-26-2014 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:19 AM   #13
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Neat idea! Considering jumping in...
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 06:39 AM   #14
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
So, I always feel like I cant declutter my kitchen items (utensils, pots and small appliances) because I cook so much from scratch that I really use them all. But it sounds like you were using all yours too, Erin (since you were cleaning them.) Do you find it makes food prep more of a hassle not to have all your items?
I cook all from scratch, too. The only thing I have missed has been my tiny rubber spatula yesterday when the mustard was almost all gone. The one rubber spatula I kept was bigger. The things I've put away- let's see- my birthday cake frosting kit (no bdays in the next little while, but I know I will need that one back), a second set of measuring cups and measuring spoons, three scoops (just use a spoon now- we even got ice cream and I served it with a spoon), duplicate peelers, a duplicate can opener, my potato masher, some serving spoons and stirring spoons, all my kid silverware (really they can just use regular and it's easier for the kids to put away, but I do need to get a larger set), a grater, a pie server, a couple of sets of tongs (I will probably get one back out eventually, but 2 forks works fine for serving salad), my sushi-making supplies (may want those back eventually, too) that's all I can think of. But it is a whole full box of stuff (a Jimmy John's box that they give you when you buy a bunch of their day-old bread in case anyone knows what box I mean. Btw, Jimmy John's day old bread is 50 cents a loaf in case anyone was wondering). I really love looking in my utensil drawer now- it is so empty! I can see exactly what is in there. I really should have taken before and after pictures of all of this stuff- it's an amazing difference. That and all of our closets!

I'm thinking when I get my kitchen utensils back (because I will want some things back when the 12 weeks is over) of limiting myself to twelve more things, or 24 total.

I was thinking of it like when I go to a hotel with a kitchen (which we always try to do when we go to a hotel) and it's just stocked with basic utensils, and it really works fine for cooking basic food, which is what I usually cook anyway.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Last edited by Aerynne; 09-26-2014 at 06:42 AM.
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (09-26-2014)
Old 09-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I was just over in the capsule wardrobe thread and thinking I might combine these ideas....I like the idea of just putting it away for long enough to test it out without getting rid of it permanently....
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (09-26-2014)