Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #1
Taedareth
Rose Garden

The Doctor: If there's one thing I can't stand it's an unpunctual alien attack!

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any keto mamas?

If you're doing any kind of ketogenic diet, post here and let us know how it's going Also, I hope we can share favorite recipes and tips for success with meal planning, exercise, etc.

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
Taedareth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
Sweet Life (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #2
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any keto mamas?

I did Keto for a while not just for inflammation but to lose the last 15 lbs of baby weight... I'm at my goal weight now and have added fruit back to my diet, so pretty sure I'm not longer in ketosis... lol,
But I've never felt better! Aside from really missing fresh fruit it's been the best food change I've ever made!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-13-2017), Taedareth (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I tried this winter and want to try again. The book my doctor had me read was frustrating. It was pretty condescending and self-righteous ('the other scientist are all wrong, but this is scientifically generated, so follow it strictly') and did NOT prepare me for the side effects I experienced. Still healing from the rash

A friend of mine is doing this and says she lost 15 pounds in a month.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

I had been doing keto for almost 5 months. I only lose weight on keto if I track every single thing I eat. I LOVE the idea of it and still eat pretty low carb/high fat/moderate protein. I also never felt satiated on keto, even after 45 days of 30-ish net carbs daily (that was everything weighed and measured, so I was not guessing).

So now I am eating closer to 100 grams net carbs, which is working much better for me. Still a lot less than most people. I get 50% of my calories from fat. I can actually wait to eat between meals.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #5
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Taedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond reputeTaedareth has a reputation beyond repute

CJ that sounds frustrating I've been reading a book called Keto Clarity and found it very enlightening. Hmm there were a couple of other books I got from the library that were mainly recipe books but had a couple chapters of really great info at the beginning. I can look up their titles if you want

Squiddles that's encouraging! So let's see, I started keto at St Patrick's Day. Partly because my hubby wants to keep his blood sugar stable (to avoid diabetes, which he's at risk for) but also because I wanted to lose 20 lbs. It's been 2.5 months and I've lost 10 lbs Yay!

Currently this "granola" is my favorite keto recipe Except I used homemade buttered toasted pecans instead of almonds

http://www.wickedstuffed.com/keto-re...free-low-carb/

Soapmaker. Sourdough baker. Seed sower. Duck grower. Hungarian speaker. Torah seeker.

Keep within me / a stillness / deeper and sweeter / than a forest's / in mid of winter. ~Hebridean Altars
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-13-2017), CelticJourney (06-12-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute

I found some pretty good info on dietdr.com (I think that's it) and it seemed much more reasonable and listed the potential side effects I experienced (so I didn't feel like I was crazy anymore)

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
The Following User Says Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (06-13-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

I did Keto from Thanksgiving until 2 weeks ago. We went on a cruise and we have visitors, so this is a sort of planned break. (I had planned to break only on the cruise, but now I'm extending the break until the second set of visitors leaves.)

I have really loved the weight loss! And it's coming back now that I'm on my keto-break! But, I feel confident about returning to keto next week!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:24 AM   #8
everybody's mother
Rose Bouquet

everybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to behold

Hubby and I did an under 20 carb diet for around a year....felt great.....gained weight....went back to our lower than average carb "normal" diet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
everybody's mother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to everybody's mother For This Useful Post:
bananacake (06-13-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 04:36 AM   #9
everybody's mother
Rose Bouquet

everybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to beholdeverybody's mother is a splendid one to behold

So, between this thread and a person on fb selling some sort of keto product, I've begun to wonder if we might have been doing it wrong....we only tracked carbs - not proteins or fats. My book just says "higher fat, moderate protein" with no definitions. Would anyone care to share what levels worked for them and what that looked like in food terms? I really feel like it *ought* to work, like it *wanted* to....it just never quite got there.

The Following User Says Thank You to everybody's mother For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #10
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Oh! Read the book Keto Clarity. This really is a high fat diet, but our bodies are all very individual in what percentage of fat/protein/carb we need to keep our bodies in a natural state our using fats (dietary and bodily reserves) for energy instead of sugars/carbs.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #11
everybody's mother
Rose Bouquet

Thank you, I will look for that!

Old 06-14-2017, 10:48 AM   #12
Taedareth
Rose Garden

Here's an interesting article about kids on keto. Did you know that the metabolism of a breastfed baby is naturally in a state of ketosis?

https://www.ketovangelist.com/is-keto-safe-for-kids/

The Following User Says Thank You to Taedareth For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-14-2017)
Old 06-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #13
JPeriod
Climbing Rose

JPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to all

I am not actively seeking ketosis, but I get in there when I do HCG 2.0. I'm chiming in because I was wondering more about the rash -- why it happens and how I can prevent it. It's AWFUL, so I find myself toeing the line of low carb until the spots start to appear, then I add some extra fruit to get it to calm down. I probably have to stay above 40 g to keep it away.
& E. - The Spirited Spawn's Spirited Sister (DD 10/2010 My healing HBAC & forever grateful )
JPeriod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JPeriod For This Useful Post:
WanderingJuniper (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 06:07 AM   #14
CelticJourney
Administrator

The diet dr page said they THINK it has something to do with chemcials released at keto stage being excreted through sweat. For me it was bad under my arms and around my bra line. Is still have some dry patches from the damage done, but finally not so raw it hurts to use deoderant.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:30 AM   #15
JPeriod
Climbing Rose

JPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to allJPeriod is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
The diet dr page said they THINK it has something to do with chemcials released at keto stage being excreted through sweat. For me it was bad under my arms and around my bra line. Is still have some dry patches from the damage done, but finally not so raw it hurts to use deoderant.
Yeah, don't think it's that at all for me. We've been very natural/organic for 8 years. I can literally turn the rash on and off with the amount of carbs within a day or two. I get it on the back of my neck so my hair covers it well, but the itching! Once it starts traveling around the front of my neck and people wonder if I have measles, I know it's time to turn it off.
& E. - The Spirited Spawn's Spirited Sister (DD 10/2010 My healing HBAC & forever grateful )
JPeriod is offline   Reply With Quote