Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:31 AM   #16
FlyingBlueKiwi
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

FlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingBlueKiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: High School Spanish or French

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealLifeMama View Post
Jodi, I did not even see your reply until I had finished replying to FlyingBlueKiwi. Also, I was responding to the question of why Spanish if she wanted to take something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticJourney View Post
I think since you mentioned it in the OP, people assumed it was part of the equastion.
Yes, I assumed it was part of the question. My apologies. It does sound like you are a bit overwhelmed.

Go Team Lioness!!!
FlyingBlueKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingBlueKiwi For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #17
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I've studied French, Spanish, and Portuguese. They are all "Romance Languages" and similar in structure. After studying years of French, Spanish and Portuguese were easy for me to learn. Your knowledge of conjugating verbs in Spanish will be helpful if your dd studies French. If she takes ballet, she will have an understanding of the pronunciation. Between French and Spanish, I think Spanish is easier to learn because the phonetics are more straight forward.

If she is willing, you could have her practice both languages on Duolingo (free) and then decide after she has a bit of experience with both languages. I know you said you don't have time for her to explore languages, but a week spent learning French should be enough time for her to convince you that she is willing to put the effort in for two years. If she doesn't like French after a free trial, then Spanish can be your back-up. If she isn't self-motivated with French, then she will likely need your help with Spanish.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-24-2017), Quiteria (07-24-2017), tempus vernum (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:24 AM   #18
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Letting her study the language she wants may be the motivating factor and using something like duolingo may help her to enjoy it.My dd was very motivated and did it pretty independently but you may have to set a time each day to help her to stay on task and agree to letting her study the French and use the app if she follows through

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #19
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I am overwhelmed trying to get all her required courses in.
I am not against French if she'd do it.
Thanks for the ideas and input.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for RealLifeMama:
Quiteria (07-24-2017), tempus vernum (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #20
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I am overwhelmed trying to get all her required courses in.
I am not against French if she'd do it.
Thanks for the ideas and input.
Junior year was really really tough for dd1. We were planning and we survived ok so dd just finished her advanced biology last week and has a few more lessons of US history but she will be done before September and we lived through it . Sooooo hard that senior year feels like easy street

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #21
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

We recently decided to give dd an extra year or two. I know that's not likely an option for you, so not saying that as a suggestion, but just commiserating that the stress of cramming it all into four years has hit here, too. It's tough, and I don't know how they expect kids to fit it all in with quality work.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #22
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

What helped for us was to use things as elective credit that were not so load heavy.It may be something she already is doing like music groups or other activities.Then you can keep the basic courses meatier if you like

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #23
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
Junior year was really really tough for dd1. We were planning and we survived ok so dd just finished her advanced biology last week and has a few more lessons of US history but she will be done before September and we lived through it . Sooooo hard that senior year feels like easy street
You know, that reminds me. I graduated from high school a year early. I was *done* and ready for college. I had to take American History by correspondence. Easy. Easy. Easy. I also took it in college where I actually learned something. However, if there is anything you can do like that to make it easier on your whole family, I second it!

I do like Duolingo. I re-do the lessons over and over again until I'm sure I know the words.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (07-24-2017), tempus vernum (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #24
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
You know, that reminds me. I graduated from high school a year early. I was *done* and ready for college. I had to take American History by correspondence. Easy. Easy. Easy. I also took it in college where I actually learned something. However, if there is anything you can do like that to make it easier on your whole family, I second it!

I do like Duolingo. I re-do the lessons over and over again until I'm sure I know the words.
dd1 has a very very light load for senior year. She will be working more and enjoying her last year of high school extracurriculars

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-26-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #25
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

I thought maybe we could try Monarch.
Has anyone had experience with their classes? It is very affordable.

I am leaning toward the French now, although I really would love the opportunity to dive into Spanish again.

She has been asking me what certain words Spanish words mean, though, because she has been listening to that song "Despacito" this summer.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (08-09-2017), tempus vernum (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #26
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

That song has been driving me nuts! Lol, I can catch words that I know, but not fast enough to string together whole phrases. I need to Google the lyrics so I see the ones I'm not hearing clearly enough.

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #27
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiteria View Post
That song has been driving me nuts! Lol, I can catch words that I know, but not fast enough to string together whole phrases. I need to Google the lyrics so I see the ones I'm not hearing clearly enough.
I have to do it with English songs too my kids laugh with me sometimes when I'm singing the wrong words

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 01:00 PM   #28
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
I thought maybe we could try Monarch.
Has anyone had experience with their classes? It is very affordable.
Quoting myself, because it just dawned on me that the Monarch is going to pretty much be the same as SOS, right? Just that with SOS, I would own it and could use it for another kid, and the Monarch would just be a license, right?
I think they are the same price.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13

Old 08-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #29
Quiteria
Rose Garden

All their products are the same, just formatted as paper, CD-ROM, or online license.

(I haven't tried them, though. Just looked into it since a friend uses SOS.)

Last edited by Quiteria; 08-09-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #30
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

She has been asking me what certain words Spanish words mean, though, because she has been listening to that song "Despacito" this summer.
I recently watched a google translate video that was hilarious. Google translate was voiced over the original video. It can probably be found on youTube.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (08-10-2017)