Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #1
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

loving my family since 1991

Leslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things I swore I wouldn't do.

Between this message board and another one I was on when all of my older kids were small, I used to swear I would never interfere in my son's relationship, ever.
I've seen all the post from mothers who had to deal with their mother in-laws disagreeing with everything they did and I swore I'd never do that.
My son moved out of the house in 2010 with his girlfriend and she was all right but it didn't last and it wasn't long before he was single. It actually ended really bad because she cheated on him and he moved in with my mom and he didn't date again for a long time.
He did finally meet a girl and they eventually moved in together but she kept making derogatory comments to me about my son.
She complained how he never wanted to go out with her and she always had to go by herself and he defended himself saying well you want to go out to bonfires and party all night but I have to get up at 3 in the morning and go to work. She'd say...well sucks to be you then because I don't have to be work till noon and only work 4 hours a day.
I raised my eyebrows but stayed out of it because it's not my life it's not my relationship and Jack is a big boy.
Halloween of a year later, we stopped by his house to trick-or-treat there and I walk in and say hi to him and she looks at me and says don't talk to him only stupid things come out of his mouth.
I totally backtracked on everything I said I would never do and pulled him aside and said why are you with her. She is horrible. just because you're my son and not a girl, doesn't mean I will stand here and allow this kind of abuse to happen.
He nodded and agreed that it was bad.
At a family dinner he came to we all kind of ganged up on him and had an intervention of sorts. He admitted she's always talking down to him and always talks bad about him to her friends even when he's right there. She comes home from work and she screams and she yells and it's always a grouch.
Long story short, yes he did leave her thankfully.
He was single again for years after that until he met a girl while he was in college.
It was rather adorable how he told me. He said that he had gone out with a girl a few times and I said oh that's good it's really good that you're dating again. They said yeah she has a baby and I told him that is so sweet and he said yeah she gets jealous when we hug and gets in the middle
I'm all...
Then, he said she's really into cars too. We sit around and talk about building cars together. I laughed and said oh my, son, you just met the one🤗
They just bought a house together, so I assume it's going well.
I've gone back to I am completely staying out of my son's relationship. As long as he is happy so am I.

Mommy to our valentine sweetheart, Jessica Lynn, and March Jellybean, Kaitlyn Elizabeth. My heart is overflowing with love for my precious girls.

Wife to my best friend

Homeschooling, sometimes co sleeping mommy to a teenager and sweet little one
Leslie_JJKs_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Leslie_JJKs_mom For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (10-09-2020), CelticJourney (10-09-2020), Close2MyHeart (10-12-2020), ECingMama (10-09-2020), Hermana Linda (10-09-2020), knitlove (10-09-2020), Llee (10-09-2020), Maedchen (10-09-2020), Pragmatist (10-09-2020), Quiteria (11-10-2020), SewingGreenMama (10-09-2020), Singingmom (10-10-2020), Soliloquy (10-09-2020), ValiantJoy07 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #2
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things I swore I wouldn't do.

While I agree with staying out of their relationships when it comes to personality differences, etc. When it comes to my son being abused, that's where I draw the line. It is not loving to not step in when you see abuse.
If you don't like her because she is polar opposites with you - for me that would be b Kardashian loving, dressed to the nines, etc I'm ... not. I like my jeans, sneakers, tanks, t-shirts, or historically accurate 1890's dress. There is no in-between :roflol
If it's personality differences then yes, stay out of it, but if he is being abused it is absolutely loving to step in, point it out and help him get free. That is where the line will be for me.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
graciousmomma (10-09-2020), knitlove (10-09-2020), Llee (10-09-2020), Pragmatist (10-09-2020), Soliloquy (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #3
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Staying out is correct, until there is abuse or danger.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
knitlove (10-09-2020), SewingGreenMama (10-09-2020), Soliloquy (10-13-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:48 PM   #4
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you have found a good medium of how to interact with your son.

And a complete off topic

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (10-13-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #5
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
knitlove (10-09-2020), Quiteria (11-10-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

Leslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie_JJKs_mom has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad to hear this. I always had that nagging guilt that I swore I'd accept whoever my son chose to be his other half.
He later told me he knew he wanted out, but splitting up would be messy, and it was.
I was so shocked that Halloween when she was horrible to him right in front of me. My little girls, 2 and 8, were right there, so I just got them out of there and finished out trick or treating. Later though, I went back and had a long discussion with him.

Mommy to our valentine sweetheart, Jessica Lynn, and March Jellybean, Kaitlyn Elizabeth. My heart is overflowing with love for my precious girls.

Wife to my best friend

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leslie_JJKs_mom For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-09-2020), SewingGreenMama (10-09-2020), Soliloquy (10-13-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

I needed this story. It’s like the “next chapters” forum after 9-teenager that we don’t have.
You’re a good mama.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (10-09-2020), Pragmatist (10-10-2020), SewingGreenMama (10-09-2020), Soliloquy (10-13-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 05:16 PM   #8
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth1231 View Post
I needed this story. It’s like the “next chapters” forum after 9-teenager that we don’t have.

You’re a good mama.
I was wondering if we had a forum for being the parent of adult children.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
MaybeGracie (10-09-2020), The Tickle Momster (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 05:23 PM   #9
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, we have MBA (125+) - Teens and Beyond, available in your CP under Member Groups.

My pages:
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-13-2020), MaybeGracie (10-09-2020), SewingGreenMama (10-09-2020), Singingmom (10-10-2020), Soliloquy (10-13-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 05:28 PM   #10
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermana Linda View Post
Actually, we have MBA (125+) - Teens and Beyond, available in your CP under Member Groups.
I'm a brand new teen mom (eldest turned 13 three weeks ago).
I'm so glad to see this!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-13-2020), Beth1231 (10-09-2020), Hermana Linda (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #11
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

Awww. Thank you.
I parented through so many naysayers who thought I was ruining my child. When he got into some trouble at 17, I thought maybe they had been right and I should have been more strict on him.
He's amazing today. I'm so proud and a lot of those people who judged, their kids went wild after they left home, and never stopped.

Wife to my best friend

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Leslie_JJKs_mom For This Useful Post:
mommychem (10-10-2020), Pragmatist (10-10-2020), SewingGreenMama (10-09-2020), Soliloquy (10-13-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #12
Hermana Linda
Administrator

I was told that my attachment parenting would result in clingy boys who would never leave my side. I was also told that not spanking them would ruin them. They grew up, joined the Marines, got married to wonderful women, had kids and are now amazing husbands and fathers.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

My pages:

Last edited by Hermana Linda; 10-09-2020 at 08:29 PM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-13-2020), graciousmomma (10-11-2020), mommychem (10-10-2020), Pragmatist (10-10-2020), Quiteria (11-10-2020), rdsmommy (10-10-2020), SewingGreenMama (10-12-2020), Singingmom (10-10-2020), Soliloquy (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #13
Leslie_JJKs_mom
Rose Garden

Same!!!
My 2 older kids are very independent. My 7 year old is still very clingy, but I'm already in the morning knowing how quickly that is going to change.
actually, it's kind of odd. I look forward to it and dread it at the same time. One day she won't be constantly at my side, and I'll have so much freedom��
One day, she'll not want me all the time��

Wife to my best friend

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leslie_JJKs_mom For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (10-12-2020), Soliloquy (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
Close2MyHeart
Rose Garden

Back for Friendships

Close2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond reputeClose2MyHeart has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't read any of the responses, but I am so glad you said something to him. My husband was in a really bad, verbally/mentally abusive marriage for 20 yrs. Once they separated, his family started telling him how relieved they were. That they knew before the wedding that she wasn't good for him and treated him and others around her poorly. I kinda wish they had spoken up then and potentially saved him from 20 yrs of abuse.
DS1(21), DS2(20), BD1(20), DD1(19), BS1(17), DS3(16), BS2(14), DD2(14), BD2(10), BD3 (8)
(B = Bonus/Step)
Close2MyHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Close2MyHeart For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-13-2020), Quiteria (11-10-2020), SewingGreenMama (10-12-2020), Soliloquy (10-13-2020)
Old 10-12-2020, 03:05 PM   #15
Hermana Linda
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Close2MyHeart View Post
I didn't read any of the responses, but I am so glad you said something to him. My husband was in a really bad, verbally/mentally abusive marriage for 20 yrs. Once they separated, his family started telling him how relieved they were. That they knew before the wedding that she wasn't good for him and treated him and others around her poorly. I kinda wish they had spoken up then and potentially saved him from 20 yrs of abuse.
For what it's worth, I've seen people try to warn people not to marry an abusive person, and I've never seen it do any good. All it did was damage the healthy relationship, making it that much harder for the victim to get help when they needed it.

My pages:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Close2MyHeart (10-14-2020), knitlove (10-12-2020), Quiteria (11-10-2020), tempus vernum (10-13-2020)