Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* > Cloth Diapering & EC *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Cloth Diapering & EC *Public* A public forum.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:33 PM   #16
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation
Default Re: What are your favourite cloth diapers -2011 edition

We always used GMD prefolds with a variety of covers, but my neighbor has turned me on to trying pockets. They aer SO trim! I couldn't even tell her ds was wearing cloth when I held him the other day.

So Im subbing here and hoping to get some pockets for this newest little bundle. It's been about 18mos since I've used cloth...gotta get back into the hang of it!

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
MiriamRose
Rose Garden

Growing is hard work

MiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond repute

Codi, that's what I love about the GMD fitteds. All the functionality, long life, and ease of washing of their prefolds, but TRIM.

Wife to my Submariner for 5 years!
MiriamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:37 PM   #18
Codi
Rose Garden

I thought I had it all figured out and now I feel like I am back to square one...

Ill have to look into those!

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Old 10-05-2011, 03:42 PM   #19
MiriamRose
Rose Garden

Growing is hard work

MiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond reputeMiriamRose has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't mean to spoil your groove. They are much cheaper than pockets though, so you could always try one or two before committing to a larger stash of them. I loved my pockets at first too but the love faded after several months of wear when they really started to wear out and I had problem after problem with stink, with the microfiber. So it's back to cotton for me.

Wife to my Submariner for 5 years!
MiriamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MiriamRose For This Useful Post:
Codi (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM   #20
Codi
Rose Garden

The GMD fitteds look good too!

---------- Post added at 04:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

That is just my LEAST favorite thing about cloth. The bulk. So the trimmer the better for me!

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
MiriamRose (10-05-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #21
WingsOfTheMorning
Deactivated

WingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond repute

All I know at this point is that I really dislike velcro. Few of my Bummis or Thirsties covers have been much use with DD2. Looking for some ideas!
WingsOfTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #22
cro
Rose Garden

cro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond repute

Now see, I loved velcro. I could never get a perfect fit w/ snaps, and if the velcro wore out, it was easy enough to replace. Good thing there's so many options!
E ~ born in America 12/08/08; natural bio miracle
cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:15 PM   #23
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

I still love prefolds with a Snappi and a wool cover. We use Fuzzi Bunz pockets for naps and for when we're out of the house.

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:16 PM   #24
WingsOfTheMorning
Deactivated

WingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond reputeWingsOfTheMorning has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I replaced all the velcro on my Bummis and I don't think the PUL will hold up to another round. And they never stay stuck to the tabs in the washer, so the velcro stuck to the edges of the gussets and tore them up (especially the Thirsties). But it seems when I asked about this back when I was using them with DD1, no one else has this problem.

Anyway, back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #25
Codi
Rose Garden

How old are the diapers? They do only have a certain "shelf life" if you will, before they just wont work any longer, right?

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Old 10-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #26
WingsOfTheMorning
Deactivated

I used the smalls for about 5 months with DD1. I haven't used them a ton this time since for various reasons we ended up using a lot of disposables so far. The gussets on the Thirsties are really torn up.

I used medium Bummis for over a year with DD1 and replaced the velcro once during that time. I threw them out when she grew out of them b/c the replaced velcro wasn't sticking anymore.

So what is considered the average shelf life of a cover?
Old 10-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #27
Codi
Rose Garden

I have no idea.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
WingsOfTheMorning (10-06-2011)
Old 10-05-2011, 07:04 PM   #28
JenLovie
Deactivated

You win when you choose health. MWWR

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute

We started with prefolds and covers for DS and then built up our pocket stash. Recently I fell in love with fitteds. I like prefolds and fitteds the best, but for DS's current size we have pockets and some fitteds. I haven't found a cover I love yet, but I did get some Thirsties Duos for the new baby and am working on knitting some wool. I would love to transition to all natural fibers, but the pckets are great for babysitters/family.
For the new baby I've bought a bunch of fitteds and have a variety of covers to try.
Favorite pocket: Rumparooz, hands down. Too bad they're pricey.
Favorite prefolds: GMD
Favorite fitted: I like Happy Heiny and Bumboo the most out of what we use now.
Favorite cover: The Imse Vimse we have never fit DS well, but I liked it the most based on style. I just wished the tabs would overlap.

ETA: Velcro vs Snaps? I like and dislike both. Velcro gets a tighter fit but it doesn't hold up. Snaps last so much longer but can be tricky for fitting. I dp prefer snaps overall because they last longer.

Last edited by JenLovie; 10-05-2011 at 07:10 PM.
JenLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #29
november
Rose Trellis

november has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond repute

BG 4.0s stuffed with Flip Organic inserts for our super soaker. We love, love, love anything BG and are very loyal to them. Microfiber isn't absorbent enough for us anymore and I don't like touching it anyway.

We also have four Grovia AIOs that are okay.

For night time, our system is a bit excessive but she pees like crazy and it holds more than a sposies can. We use a bamboo MotherEase Sandys fitted, with a Motherease stay dry liner, a Joeykicks hemp insert, and a MotherEase Airflow cover. Ugliest darn thing in the world but it's the best solution we can come up w/ for her since she pees like crazy.

Married to the love of my life
Mama to (7) & (2)

Save
november is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #30
JenLovie
Deactivated

You win when you choose health. MWWR

JenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond reputeJenLovie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
For night time, our system is a bit excessive but she pees like crazy and it holds more than a sposies can. We use a bamboo MotherEase Sandys fitted, with a Motherease stay dry liner, a Joeykicks hemp insert, and a MotherEase Airflow cover. Ugliest darn thing in the world but it's the best solution we can come up w/ for her since she pees like crazy.
We've been using sposies at night because he keeps leaking through cloth and then waking up in the middle of the night. With the sposie he hasn't leaked (yet) and thus sleeps better (still wakes occasionally, but it doesn't require an outfit and diaper change).
JenLovie is offline   Reply With Quote