Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 05-08-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling something you're *supposed* to keep forever

Quote:
I think I'm ready to let it go. I think.
I hope it sells well and you feel peace about it. Mine is still wrapped in paper, in a box and it is our 26th anniversary next week. I *think* I have used it once.

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
Aisling
Deactivated

Even artichokes have hearts!

Aisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond reputeAisling has a reputation beyond repute

Truly, I can't think of anything more horrific than someone saying, "Here, have something breakable you don't care about, but you SHOULD care about, and keep it through moves and children and reorganizing for years and years without shattering it. Cheers!!"

Aisling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Aisling For This Useful Post:
CJNeeley (06-29-2012), Damselfly (05-08-2012), Lily (05-08-2012), mamaeffie (05-08-2012), PrincessAnika (05-08-2012), RubySlippers (05-08-2012), WaitPatientlyOnTheLord (05-08-2012), WanderingJuniper (05-09-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #18
Marrae
Moderator in Tweens & Teens, Teens & Beyond, the Cookbook, Let's Talk, Drawing Closer, and Bible Study
I support GCM!

The presence of the Holy Spirit is the keystone of all our hopes

Marrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond reputeMarrae has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Truly, I can't think of anything more horrific than someone saying, "Here, have something breakable you don't care about, but you SHOULD care about, and keep it through moves and children and reorganizing for years and years without shattering it. Cheers!!"
In my case, I asked for it. I truly liked and still like it but it just doesn't 'fit' with me any more. I'm sorry that you don't like china, Aisling. I was going to sent it over for Christmas. J/K

wife (dh A, *~ 33 ~ * years) mother (dd G 29, ds D 25)

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8 : 28

Marrae is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Marrae For This Useful Post:
Aisling (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #19
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrae View Post
In my case, I asked for it. I truly liked and still like it but it just doesn't 'fit' with me any more. I'm sorry that you don't like china, Aisling. I was going to sent it over for Christmas. J/K
This is me too, exactly!
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I use mine often enough that it has prime cupboard space in the kitchen. I put it in the dishwasher. It coordinates with our everyday Mikasa and cheapo Ikea stacks when we have a big crowd over. I'm not attached to the pattern (white with gold trim), but it is just on the fancy side of practical. I'm glad we were given so much china as wedding gifts because I don't think I would ever buy this much on my own.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #21
Jillie

I really want to sell mine, too. My mother-in-law convinced me to register for it, even though I didn't really want to. We have moved several times since we got married, and I'm so tired of lugging it around and having it take up storage space. Especially since we've never used it. And I kinda don't even care for the design anymore.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #22
Wonder Woman
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Yep. I'm a 3.

Wonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond reputeWonder Woman has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to upset everyone from the proper side of my FOO by registering for Pfalztgraff. Apparently stoneware dishes with pretty pink and blue flowers weren't fancy enough, and it was horrid that I had picked something that had 4 place settings for $100

But I know me - I like to USE pretty things, and I also knew there was no way I'd be attached enough to any object to keep it forever (my husband and son are the only items I plan to keep that long )

I kept it and used it until I was sick of it, so maybe 7 years? Then I gave it to my MIL

I have pretty Corelle right now, that I got with the proceeds of one of my first ever web design jobs. Eventually in another year or so, I'll get some other pretty Corelle.

I don't believe in letting things own you - I love pretty things, I use pretty things, but having THINGS hanging around my neck that I feel I must keep/use a certain way/let those things dictate my behavior...that makes me

Why yes, I *do* have a strong opinion about this
Wonder Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonder Woman For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (05-12-2012), CJNeeley (06-29-2012), Damselfly (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #23
ReadingMommy
Rose Trellis

ReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeReadingMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Woman View Post
I managed to upset everyone from the proper side of my FOO by registering for Pfalztgraff. Apparently stoneware dishes with pretty pink and blue flowers weren't fancy enough, and it was horrid that I had picked something that had 4 place settings for $100
This is what I wish I would have done...register for something I would use everyday. At the time, I figured I would register for the china because it would be harder to buy that for myself. But I just didn't have a good concept back then of how our lives would *actually* work and I didn't know myself as well then. I actually could write *pages* about what I would do differently *now* from what I chose during that time period in my life! (At least I still like the guy I picked)
Creative, Thinking Boy (04/2008)
Spunky Little Lady (08/2010)
Snuggle-bug Sweetie (09/2014)

ReadingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ReadingMommy For This Useful Post:
Annainprogress (05-12-2012), Damselfly (05-08-2012), Wonder Woman (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #24
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

I have my mom's silver from her wedding to my dad and ancient crystal and various serving pieces. I never use them, but have held on to them for sentimental reasons. But I may just sell them.

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #25
Stacy
Rose Bouquet

:)

Stacy is a splendid one to beholdStacy is a splendid one to beholdStacy is a splendid one to beholdStacy is a splendid one to beholdStacy is a splendid one to beholdStacy is a splendid one to beholdStacy is a splendid one to beholdStacy is a splendid one to behold

I'm almost completely unsentimental about most things. Take the money and run, hun. Sell it, sell it, sell it!
Auroras mom (05-08-2012), Lily (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #26
Andrea
Rose Blossom

Andrea is a glorious beacon of lightAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightAndrea is a glorious beacon of lightAndrea is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to be the odd man out, but I don't think I'd sell it. If fancy dinners with china are a part of your fantasy self/fantasy life, then why not let it be a motivator to start becoming that fantasy person?

I understand being on a clean-out kick (I'm in one too - I'm calling it "Organize 2012"), but it's also a good point for re-evaluating your life. Are you really living the life that you want to live, or are cleaning out the house just to fit the aspects of the life you have right now, whether you're loving all of it or not? I like fancy stuff and special experiences, so I'm making it a point to use my china. I use it once a week for Shabbat, but you don't have to use it that frequently. If you like a fancy dinner, then make it a goal to have one nice "these-are-our-fancy-manners-and-this-is-how-we-use-them" dinner a month. My kids are roughly the same age as yours, and our weekly china & crystal dinners turn out fine. And if something breaks, it breaks. My china pattern is called "Eternal" for a reason.

Loving Mama to:
Big boy J (born 11/2008)
Baby girl L (born 12/2010)

Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
CJNeeley (06-29-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #27
RubySlippers
Deactivated

There's no place like home.

RubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond repute

We inherited china and don't use it. It's somewhere in the attic packed in paper.
It's hard to let go.
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote