Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #1
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recommend a mat/rug for me, please?

I need something for the floor in front of the kitchen sink. The dishwasher is to the right of the sink, the dish drainer sits on the counter above the dishwasher, and the Berkey is to the left of the sink. We get a LOT of water on the floor. The floor is ceramic tile, so it gets quite slippery very fast.

I'd like something fairly big, but the couple of rubber-backed rugs I've looked at are on the small side. DH wants an anti-fatigue mat, but I'm wondering if it would get slippery when wet.

So, what do you have and what do you like and dislike about it?
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:52 PM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Recommend a mat/rug for me, please?

Doesn't answer your question directly, but curious, why are you getting so much water on the floor? From what?
Old 09-19-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Canada, but my local Costco had anti-fatigue mats with texture in the top pattern. Maybe your local Costco has the same mats.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (09-20-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Doesn't answer your question directly, but curious, why are you getting so much water on the floor? From what?
Splashing from the sink, the kids playing with the Berkey spout, and wet dishes coming out of the dishwasher mostly. It just seems like somebody is ALWAYS spilling something.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRock View Post
I'm in Canada, but my local Costco had anti-fatigue mats with texture in the top pattern. Maybe your local Costco has the same mats.
I haven't checked, but Costco is right down the road. I should see what they've got!

The slightest bit of water on the floor makes is very slippery. I HATE the floor, but replacing it just isn't an option. I'm pulling out a towel every other day at least to mop up water, to keep people from falling, and lately I've taken to just leaving a folded bath towel in front of the sink. Just to clarify - we don't have any leaks (checked!) I just have kids that like to play in the sink and they are messy about it.

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!

Last edited by ViolaMum; 09-19-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:38 PM   #5
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I would get one of those big black mats that stores put at the front doors. They are pretty absorbent on top but the backing is rubber so it shouldn't get moldy underneath. Not the prettiest thing but we have used them in a rainy area and they worked well.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Like this

http://m.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMAST...500/202072107/

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShangriLewis For This Useful Post:
ViolaMum (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 12:52 AM   #6
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

What about these?

Rugs made for the water pets bring in: http://www.amazon.com/Walky-Dog-Micr...absorbent+rugs

http://www.amazon.com/Durable-Washab...absorbent+rugs

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76924...=76526-pprrtop

http://www.amazon.com/Bathroom-Thous...absorbent+rugs
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FaithHopeLove For This Useful Post:
Llee (05-10-2016), ViolaMum (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 04:13 AM   #7
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

:

Pet mats? That's genius! I never would have thought of it. The memory foam looks super comfortable - like the ant-fatigue mats, but more absorbent.

But I really like the one from LL Bean, too. I clicked through to the everyday version and it comes in lots more colors. I'm 15 minutes away from a Bean store and it just didn't occur to me to look there!

The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
FaithHopeLove (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! Yeah, some of the pet rugs have giant dog paw prints embroidered on them but that one I found was not so "pet specific"! Let us know what you pick and how it works!
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #9
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I think the anti fatigue mats would be dangerous with lots of water.

I am coveting your closeness to a Bean store

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Yes, please update the thread with what you find works.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #11
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

So, I'm back with an update. I finally got something last week. (Yep, it took me that long to decide! )

Costco and Bed Bath & Beyond didn't have anything. I wanted to get the Bean rug, but they didn't have any in the stores at the time. The size I wanted was a little pricey, too, so I went back to following links on Amazon which left me a little

I ended up with an indoor/outdoor rug from Ikea. (It looks better in person, than on the website.) The big bonus is that it's long - covers the floor in front of my sink, the dishwasher, and the one cabinet with the Berkey - and it was only $30! So if I hate it in 3 months, it won't be hard to toss.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (05-10-2016), knitlove (05-11-2016), Llee (05-10-2016)