Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 09-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default I made my own laundry detergent.

And as soon as it's gone I'm going back to Charlie's Soap.

It was cheap.
It cleans great.
And after only a week there is white soap residue in my washing machine. Which is not only bad for the machine, long-term, it's bad for clothes and horrible for diapers.

The recipe was 1 bar Dr Bronner's (grated), 4 cups baking soda, 3 cups super washing soda (I think).

I hate bathing with soap because it makes the shower filthy and my skin all tight and itchy. But I tried this anyway.

Does anyone have a soap-free detergent recipe?

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

I found this recipe for equal parts washing soda, borax, and Oxi-Clean. I think having a bucket of Charlie's would just be easier.

http://carriewillard.com/best-laundr...cloth-diapers/
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
bananacake (09-21-2015), FaithHopeLove (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I made my own laundry detergent.

My recipe is Fels naptha, borax and washing soda and Ive never had build up. Howuch are you using per load? My recipe calls for 1 tbsp but I usually use 2. I think tide is ultimately cheaper though
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I use 1 Tbsp per load. And I usually remember to put vinegar in the fabric softener dispenser to help reduce build up.

I think so much depends on your water. I had to switch dishwasher detergent after we moved here because of build up.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for writing this. I get Charlie's Soap for about $10 from Amazon subscribe & save, and it lasts up to 2 months, even with cloth diapers. I just can't imagine the effort to get everything and make it would save much money.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

It was super easy to make but any savings are negated if my washing machine doesn't last as long as it would without build up. I only tried it to save money
Old 09-21-2015, 02:47 PM   #6
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried soap nuts? They are the husks of Sapindus Mukorossi tree. No build up!

You can use them in the laundry machine like this: Put 3-4 husks in a little cotton bag or bind them inside a cotton hancerchief. Put them in the laundry machine. for white wash or very dirty wash, add a table spoon of baking soda.
The husks are biodegradable. You can use them for many kinds of washing, not just for laundry. You can boil a few husks in a liter of water for 20 minutes and use the liquid as a shampoo.

Soap nuts hardly give any foam and they do not develop buid ups like soap.

There are also some soap nut products, such as easy to use laundry liquid. I use one with lavender, it is lovely.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I'm glad they work for you.

I haven't tried them because, last I checked, Charlie's is much cheaper.

The reviews on Soap Nuts and diapers are mixed.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 09-21-2015 at 02:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #8
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I just saw a recipe with Epsom Salts. I have a top loader and hard water. Homemade detergent just doesn't work.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:55 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

We have hard water, too. Hoping to get a softener in a few years.
Old 09-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #10
ShangriLewis

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

We plan to buy this next year and I am definitely adding a water softener to my list.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

Old 09-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #11
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Soap nuts may not be the cheapest, I agree . But they are worth trying because they can be used in so many ways.

http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/soap-nuts.html

I wonder would it be possible to grow such a tree in your own garden? That would be nice .
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

They're wonderful! Our last two houses had one. It's really important to me that the cold water in the kitchen is bypassed from the softener so you don't have to drink softened water. . Yuck. (Unless you get a salt-free softener, which would be my first choice, but they're quite expensive. But, then you don't have to budget for and lug bags of salt, either.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ShangriLewis (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
ShangriLewis

We had one in Seattle and I was able to wash all my clothes even diapers in soap works soap flakes. Amazing and every thing was so clean.

Heather

Old 09-21-2015, 10:16 PM   #14
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds really frustrating!

For saving money but still using natural detergent, I use Ecos Lily and Magnolia (liquid) which is sold at Costco in a huge bottle that is fairly economical, or the liquid lavender detergent from Trader Joes (which I suspect is really made by Ecos). The bottle is much smaller but it's priced well. I think my water here is fairly soft, but I still had some trouble with underarm smells not washing out of clothes worn for gardening and such, so I make a spray with Bac-out, vinegar, and dawn in it to pre-treat underarm areas and that works like a charm. I've been intrigued to try making my own, but after reading of your experience, I think I'll stick to what I'm using. I hate build-up!
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #15
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is very personal and very specific to washer and water.

We cannot use charlie's soap. I have no clue why but it doesn't clean our clothes well. I think we are slobs I've also tried homemade - a ton of recipes - from the felt naptha to the washing soda/borax/oxyclean.

I gave up

I use ecos because I can get it cheap and it is pretty safe.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote