Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Technical Corner (Electronics, Computers, Websites (like Facebook), Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
butterflyqueen71
Rose Garden

butterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Nintendo DS for a 7 year old...

Dd will be 7 next month, and we are planning on getting her a DS. But I have NO clue what to get her. DS, DS lite, DSi...I mean, she's 7 what all features does she need, kwim? She doesn't need to go on the internet, she doesn't need to play games with friends online, etc. I understand there are some with cameras? She'd like that.

I think we may get her a DS console and one game to start with. Or two if we can find them cheap enough.

Suggestions?

TIA

butterflyqueen71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
LadybugSam
Deactivated

ladybug, ladybug fly away home

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nintendo DS for a 7 year old...

ds lite. orignal DS are hard to find and hard to find replacement stylists for. The DSI is the one with the camera, which a lot of kids find cool, but they're hard to find used (we buy all our stuffed used/refurbrished)

used games are awesome and its usually the "kid games" that get re-sold. Also look for Nintendo Advance games because they work on the same system
LadybugSam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LadybugSam For This Useful Post:
butterflyqueen71 (09-11-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
BeckaBlue
Rose Garden

AKA mama2madj

BeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond reputeBeckaBlue has a reputation beyond repute

nik has a ds lite. if it were me id get a dsi, lol! but he loves it

and if the dsi has the camera id get that for abs, cause taking photos is a favorite to her.

even w/ the dslite they can chat w/ other ds users with a smallish area (50ft maybe?)
K, 14 ENP
A, 11 INJ
N, 10 EFJ
J, 5.5 ETJ
El 10/11
D 1/13

"Against the grain should be a way of life. What's worth the prize is always worth the fight" - Nickelback
BeckaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BeckaBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
LadybugSam
Deactivated

LadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond reputeLadybugSam has a reputation beyond repute

the original ds does the same
Old 09-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
JessicaNichole
Rose Trellis

JessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to all

we own 4 ds's...3 ds lights and 1 dsi( well we actually have 5 but one is broken...the pink ones fade quickly, the touch screen goes out faster and so does the mic which is very important to game play. So i would not get her a pink one )

i would not get her a DSI because that can connect to the internet like a lap top. my kids love their DSlights( they can connect to a chat room and to other DS's that are very close to them but not directly to the internet ).

at 7 i would recomend games like "cooking momma" ( my girls love that ), there is a game called Zhu Zhu pets( i think thats how its spelled ) my kids are ALL obsessed with that game. Games like Dora and Diego might be to easy for her, but they are fun too
JessicaNichole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaNichole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute

With the Dsi that connect to the internet...what can it do online?
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
Allison
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Allison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond reputeAllison has a reputation beyond repute

We got the boys each a DSi for Christmas last year. They've probably used the camera and voice changing thingy more than the games. lol The almost-7-year-old's fav game has been purr pals.

Allison
Blessed mother of my three sons:
22, 20, 18

Grateful for GCM since 2004
Allison is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Allison For This Useful Post:
butterflyqueen71 (09-12-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
LadybugSam
Deactivated

mt 6 1/2 yr olds favorute games are mario cart and nintendogs

picross is a neat puzzle game if you don't mind reading her the instructions the first time around
Old 09-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
godsgracegiven

The Little Pet Shop game is good one for girls.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
JessicaNichole
Rose Trellis

JessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to allJessicaNichole is a name known to all

my husband took his DSI with him on deployment..its how he checked e-mail and surfed the net when he couldnt be in his room on his regular computer. You can go anywhere on the net on it. Yahoo, GCM, anywhere

Pet shop is a fun one! my kids are also really into pokemon right now too, they love evolving their pets or whatever you call them!
JessicaNichole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaNichole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
butterflyqueen71
Rose Garden

butterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond reputebutterflyqueen71 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies! I'm still a little confused, but I think I might be leaning towards the DS lite simply because it's cheaper. Plus it comes in red and that's the color dd wants.

Do they come with any games already on them? I wanted to get her one game for it to start with (she wants Despicable Me) and then maybe a couple more for Christmas. But I was thinking if it came with some preloaded that would keep her busy for awhile. There's a place here where you can buy used games too, plus Craigslist. I like the idea of getting the kid games used.

butterflyqueen71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #12
godsgracegiven

I am not sure if this has been mentioned already but you can get gameboy games for the DS too and they are cheaper. You can even go to the game store and get some game for five bucks. I just asked ds if his DS had preloaded games and he said no, see how much I know about it, lol

ETA: you have to share how she likes Despicable Me, am thinking my dd will like this one too Sounds fun!
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
butterflyqueen71 (09-25-2010)
Old 09-12-2010, 09:38 PM   #13
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

Viva Pinata is another good (reading required) game for littles - and is actually entertaining enough for mamas to play "over a shoulder"
And AFA replacement stylus (styluses? styli? ) you can use any stylus with the ds. (I have been known to use a plastic crochet hook )
Old 09-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
LadybugSam
Deactivated

you can, but they dont fit in the little hole on the side meant to keep them the ds lite styluses are fatter than the originals.
Old 09-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #15
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

Ah! My whole thing all goes in a little bag, unit, games, stylus. But I can see the need for a 7yo to try and keep it in the little slot deal - saves on lost styluses...styli...you know.