Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 09-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #46
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What kind of soup do you like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns_Gal View Post
Spirited Duo, could you post your wild rice soup recipe when you get a chance? I think DH would love it.
Wild Rice Soup

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 carrots, finely diced (about 1 cup)
2 leeks, white and light green parts, finely diced (about 2.5 cups)
2 celery stalks, finely diced (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 quarts chicken broth
3/4 cups wild rice
1/2 teaspoon salt (do not add until final steps as you might not need it at all depending on the chicken broth you use)
3/4 cup heavy (whipping) cream
3 tablespoons dry sherry (or I've used dry red wine)
1/4 cup minced chives (do not omit, this finishes the flavours, use dried if you don't have fresh)
3 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional, imho)

In a soup pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Saute the carrots, leeks and celery until softened, roughly five minutes.

Reduce heat to low, add the flour and stir well. Cook for about three minutes, stirring constantly.

Add the broth gradually and stir well so as to avoid lumps. Bring to a simmer.

Add the wild rice and salt (if using). Continue simmering until the rice is tender, but still a little chewy, about 45 minutes.

Stir in the cream and sherry (or wine). Add salt if needed. Serve garnished with chives (must) and parsley (optional).

Enjoy! Robin
Macky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (09-15-2010)
Old 09-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #47
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited Duo View Post
Beef and barley soup is awesome as well as a hamburger soup recipe from a community cookbook (fundraiser) from hubby's home town years ago; it's heavier on veggies than other hamburger soups I've had. I guess chili would come under this same category... just made some this week (rainy here).

Oooo... I've got a wild rice soup (recipe clipped from local paper) that is hubby's favourite – masses of wild rice with carrots and celery and other veggies in an incredibly yummy broth with a smidge of cream.

I finally found a split pea and ham soup recipe that I like (more complex than the usual recipe), but only myself and DD2 like it... DD1 and DH turn up their noses at the mere mention of split peas.

ETA: Oh, I made a squash soup for the first time last week that was heavy on the roasted garlic (two full heads). I don't typically like squash in any form except pumpkin pie and muffins, but this was absolutely delicious!
i would LOVE recipes for these 3 soups...they sound wonderful!!! thanks
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #48
Serafine
Deactivated

Serafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond reputeSerafine has a reputation beyond repute

I made this the other night...wonderful! I subbed ground beef (browned with italian seasonings) for the sausage and bacon.

http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/O/573.htm

this (almost identical version) is really good too:

http://www.tuscanrecipes.com/recipes...a-toscana.html
Serafine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serafine For This Useful Post:
Abibigail (09-15-2010), charla (09-15-2010)
Old 09-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #49
Macky
Deactivated

Macky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond reputeMacky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by abh5e8 View Post
i would LOVE recipes for these 3 soups...they sound wonderful!!! thanks
Beef with Barley Soup

1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup flour
1.5 lbs stewing beef, bite-sized chunks
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
6 cups beef stock
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
2 carrots, sliced
1/2 cup barley, rinsed if necessary
500 ml tin (roughly 17 oz) of diced tomatoes or 1 lb fresh (not in original Harrowsmith magazine recipe)

In a large skillet or soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Dredge meat in flour using a bowl or plastic bag (shake 'n bake style), as you're used to; shake off excess. Saute beef in batches until well browned. Transfer to a bowl.

Saute onion in same skillet/pot until softened. Add garlic and saute for half a minute or so. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, until mixture turns a dark rust colour, a couple of minutes.

Add wine and bring to a boil, scraping the brown bits off the bottom to add flavour ("deglazing" the pan, only without taking the onion/garlic/tomato paste mixture out). Add the beef back to the pan along with the stock and herbs/spices.

Bring back to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Skim any scum that may come to the surface.

Add carrots and barley and continue to simmer until tender, roughly 30 minutes.

*This recipe doesn't have the variety of veggies I usually like in a soup. We still really like it, though... it's like a simple soup/stew cross. In case you're wondering why you need to finely dice the onions, it's so that over the course of simmering and stirring, they dissolve to flavour the stock; you don't see them in the finished soup (good for kids who avoid onions like the plague). I've often wondered if adding some peas or green beans might be nice.

Thought I'd take a look at the Taste of Home website for the other two since they were from that magazine... low and behold, the recipes are there, so I don't have to type!

Split Pea and Ham Soup
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/S...a-and-Ham-Soup

Garlic Butternut Bisque
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/G...tternut-Bisque

... and because we're at the Taste of Home website and I just made this soup a couple of days ago and LOVE it so much...
Mushroom Potato Soup

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Mushroom-Potato-Soup

I've got a cauliflower in the fridge right now that will be ending up in this recipe...
Curried Roast Cauliflower Soup
http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/...uliflower-soup
The photo here does not do the soup justice. I've brought this to pot luck meals and even people who (say they) don't like curry like this soup. DH's grandmother went for seconds and she was a bland, meat and potatoes type of cook. Adjust the quantity and type of curry powder to the crowd your feeding. You can make this mild but complex or hot and spicy. I also add 1/2 a cup of heavy (whipping) cream because my hubby prefers cream soups, but it really can stand on its own without.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Macky For This Useful Post:
abh5e8 (09-15-2010), charla (09-15-2010), mommylove (09-15-2010)
Old 09-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #50
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Robin. I'm making the cauliflower one tonight & I'm super excited to try the butternut squash one.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 PM   #51
hollymarie

Roasted Red Pepper...mmmmmmmm
Old 09-15-2010, 04:13 PM   #52
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollymarie View Post
Roasted Red Pepper...mmmmmmmm
Do you have a recipe?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #53
Macky
Deactivated

Mommylove, if you have regular olive oil, I find it adds greatly to the flavour of the cauliflower soup. Don't use extra virgin in the oven because the smoking point is too low. Just the regular stuff or light.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 PM   #54
curlymopmom
Deactivated

curlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond repute

Sooooo many of these look so yummy but I can't eat them. I am going to try to substitute a bit, but some are impossible.

My favorite soup (that I actually make and can eat right now) is chicken curry soup. I don't like it spicy, so I use a sweeter curry. And I cheat and use canned chicken.
curlymopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #55
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirited Duo View Post
Mommylove, if you have regular olive oil, I find it adds greatly to the flavour of the cauliflower soup. Don't use extra virgin in the oven because the smoking point is too low. Just the regular stuff or light.
I didn't see this until after the fact. I used extra virgin olive oil. I had NO idea that the smoking point is lower than regular or light. Good to know. I will definitely remember that for the future when roasting veggies. Thanks.

As a side note, the roasted cauliflower was amazing!!! Oh my gosh, it went from ho-hum to incredible. How is it possible I've never had roasted cauliflower?

Oh, and the soup was great, too.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Not soup, but if anyone's interested this very easy Cheese & Thyme Biscuit recipe got rave reviews at my house.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 PM   #56
joyousTXmama
Climbing Rose

joyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to beholdjoyousTXmama is a splendid one to behold

I just made this minestrone, and it's fantastic. Filling and very healthy. Vegan too, if you use veggie broth rather than chicken, for those who are vegan.

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/jamies...ne/Detail.aspx
and MK (May 2015)
Longing to hold my three s in heaven (Feb 2011, June 2011, July 2012)

AP'ing, co-sleeping, CLW, no-circ, selectively vaccinating, and learning gentleness in parenting every day!

LOVE LETS LIVE

joyousTXmama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joyousTXmama For This Useful Post:
charla (09-16-2010), curlymopmom (09-16-2010)
Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 AM   #57
Ajani
Rose Trellis

Learning what I'm called to believe

Ajani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond reputeAjani has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlymopmom View Post
Sooooo many of these look so yummy but I can't eat tthem
Why not? What can't you have? I'm sure we can find some soups for you.

Come share food with me.

~ Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow." ~

Ajani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #58
curlymopmom
Deactivated

curlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond reputecurlymopmom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajani View Post
Why not? What can't you have? I'm sure we can find some soups for you.
Oh, thank you! I am going to make the cauliflower one. And the minestrone. And I think I pulled a couple more, just don't have my list ATM.

If I'm cooking for the family, it has to be free of: dairy, large amounts of soy, beef, citrus (so the lime is out), wheat, egg, peanuts.

I love cream soups. I don't want to spend the $ on the safe cream sub... at least not since I have to buy such a large amount from amazon. I am going to check whole foods for it when I'm there next week. Otherwise I'll have to play around with almond or hemp milk and see if it is better than nothing. I miss cream soups.

And then if they're too cheesy, I'm not sure if the daiya substitute would quite do it for me. But it's all worth a try!
curlymopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:50 AM   #59
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlymopmom View Post
If I'm cooking for the family, it has to be free of: dairy, large amounts of soy, beef, citrus (so the lime is out), wheat, egg, peanuts.
I came across this recipe for black bean soup. Maybe it would work for your family if you don't top it with sour cream? The picture just looks sooooo yummy. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2010/09/black-bean-soup.html
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #60
Macky
Deactivated

Stephanie... we're dairy free here, too, and I missed cream soups and sauces for a VERY long time! I'm posting original recipes without my substitutions here because everyone has their own favourite dairy subs.

I'm now substituting cashew milk for any milk or cream in any soup/sauce recipe. Cashews have a higher fat content than other nut milks and making it yourself means you can adjust consistency, so I find it MUCH closer to the actual thing when cooking. No one I've fed it to can tell the difference.

Whiz up raw (they must be raw, not toasted) cashews in the blender at a 1:1 to 1:3 ratio with water – less water for a thicker cream substitute or more water to substitute for milk. Blend for as long as it takes to make a smooth mixture – a couple of minutes usually. If you're using it in a sauce instead of a soup, you'll need a thickener (cornstarch unless you're corn free) and a bit of salt, too.

I'm using Earth Balance as a sub for hard butter. Depending on the recipe, though, you can often substitute olive oil or vegetable oil when it's just for sauteing. Only do it when you peruse the ingredient list and decide the soup doesn't depend on the butter flavour (ie. I wouldn't use oil to saute leeks in a simple potato soup).

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post
... As a side note, the roasted cauliflower was amazing!!! Oh my gosh, it went from ho-hum to incredible. How is it possible I've never had roasted cauliflower?...
It was actually this recipe that turned me on to cauliflower. I hated the stuff until I made this soup and tasted some of the cauliflower before I added it back to the soup. The only reason I tried the recipe in the first place is that I try things I hate every once in a while to see if my palate has changed. I've hated tea my whole life (much to my British father's dismay), but decided to make a mug about a week ago and have been having 2 or 3 cups a day ever since. (Haven't told Dad yet. ) Back to the cauliflower, though... now I roast it like this for a side veggie for supper, using far less salt, though, when it's not going into soup.