Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 07-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #16
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions for Potential Pediatrician?

Def about after hours. The Ped we used when our kids were young used an after hours sort of coop so you didnt have to go to ER. You would want to know which ones take call for your ped.Another thing to ask is about antibiotic policy.Since all of the latest points to only using if absolutely needed and if a bacteria has been cultured. A lot of Peds are very much on board with this some of the older ones still tend to use an RX for every sniffle

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 02:30 PM   #17
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llee View Post
Over the years, I have stopped asking questions. What I do instead is find doctors who respect the parents and the patients. No matter what their personal or professional beliefs are, a doctor that respects me as the mother is one that I can and do work with.

I am glad that has worked for you but I definitely want to ask questions to get a feel for each doctor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #18
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes if you engage in a dialogue and ask questions it should give you a sense of whether they are a Ped that does respect a parent and their gut feelings and requests and listens or has a sort of "I am the Dr." attitude . One of the other things I liked about ours was you could email him with a question or concern and he would answer by email that same day by the evening time so you weren't having to have a nurse or front office person be a middle man and wait for a phone call back

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (07-25-2017), Sweet Life (07-25-2017), Virginia (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #19
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

I always ask why they became a doctor and why peds.
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-22-2017), mamacat (07-22-2017), mommychem (07-23-2017), Sweet Life (07-25-2017), Virginia (07-22-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #20
Virginia
Rose Garden

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPies View Post
I always ask why they became a doctor and why peds.
Oh, that's a really good one!
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
mamacat (07-22-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 04:34 AM   #21
Virginia
Rose Garden

Consultation with one practice this morning and another practice Thursday morning. Thanks to y'all, I am armed with some great questions!

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (07-25-2017), Soliloquy (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #22
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
One of the other things I liked about ours was you could email him with a question or concern and he would answer by email that same day by the evening time so you weren't having to have a nurse or front office person be a middle man and wait for a phone call back
We see a family nurse practitioner and I love that I can email her directly with non-urgent questions. It can be so hard to talk during appointments and I always come home and realize I forgot to ask her something.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:29 PM   #23
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
We see a family nurse practitioner and I love that I can email her directly with non-urgent questions. It can be so hard to talk during appointments and I always come home and realize I forgot to ask her something.

Yes! I can message mine through an app. Super awesome.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 07-31-2017, 05:06 AM   #24
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneandbaby View Post
The most important things for me is access and communication. The vast majority of practices in our area now have a model in which you see your "primary" only for well visits and you get "whoever" is around for sick visits, and get shunted to "the team" when it comes to referrals/other needs. Now, I get that one doctor isn't working 24/7 just to be available for me, but a primary should meet the definition of that term, and should take actual ownership of a child's care. That means that at the very least, a primary:

Should be informed and/or consulted if your child has to come in for a sick appt and sees another provider,

Should personally discuss/oversee any referrals for needed specialty care

Should discuss the results and treatment recommendations made by specialty providers for your child

Should be responsible for relaying information about your child's medical history to specialty providers before an initial appointment and whenever other relevant information changes.

If not the admitting doctor for a child who needs an inpatient admission, should be in direct verbal contact with the admitting team to discuss relevant medical history and should get updates from the responsible medical team along with discussions about discharge planning and pst hospitalization follow up.

It's called a "medical home" care model and this model is openly advocated for by the AAP. I can link to information on it if you are interested.

It was basically near impossible to find this model of care near us. Most of the practices here talk a good game but when you actually get down to asking questions about coordination of care, fall apart. They essentially function as urgent care clinics, where there is no behind the scenes coordination or communication regarding care and pediatricians don't take full responsibility for *their* panel of patients, instead relying on a "group" mentality where the panel of doctors can equally substitute for each other for the entire group practice's panel of patients and no one takes any real lead responsibility to be informed/updated.

It was a long, long uphill climb for us to get true primary care here. For my older 7 kids, this has been found at a family practice, not pediatrician office. They are a husband/wife D.O. team and they're it, so everything goes through them. My youngest ended up being far too medically complex for their comfort level, so we finally a pediatrician who has been trained in the medical home model of care and is very knowledgeable on the data that it reduces cost, inpatient hospital stays and improves quality of life and access to appropriate medical care. 90% of our communication takes place via text/phone or email, not to mention all the coordination and discussions she has with my child's other medical providers. This has hands down help prevent hospitalizations for her.

Your child's PCP should be someone who will be the conductor of your child's medical orchestra for their growing years and I absolutely wouldn't settle for anything less.

Thank you! That was really helpful

I think I am lucky to live near a city with one of the best medical schools in the country- we are not lacking in doctors of all kinds here It's great having choices and being able to interview lots of doctors.

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 AM   #25
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
Thank you! That was really helpful

I think I am lucky to live near a city with one of the best medical schools in the country- we are not lacking in doctors of all kinds here It's great having choices and being able to interview lots of doctors.

We are also in that situation. it's lovely and my girls have had 3 primary doctors but we've finally settled into a family practice Doctor we love. The only thing I've noticed personally is at the teaching hospital for children sometimes their priority is teaching vs doing what's best for the child.

For example, our ds had a tongue tie. We were referred to ENT at the children's hospital. They wanted to wait till he was 1 and clip under general anesthesia. In the mean time, bfing was difficult and painful but we managed. We went to an ENT outside of the hospital who had pediatric credentials but sees people of all ages. She snipped it immediately after seeing it. One visit, done. One drop of blood. That was only bleeding. He bf immediately and the ordeal was behind us.

I got the impression that without general anesthesia, it is too difficult for residents to see how a tongue tie is trimmed.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Llee (07-31-2017), Soliloquy (08-01-2017), Virginia (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 06:59 AM   #26
mamacat
Rose Garden

We also have a large teaching hospital in this town and in our experience best to avoid because they tend to over test and invasive test and the bedside manner nursing care is not always the best. Long waits in the outpatient clinics and less serious surgeries being bumped and that kind of thing. our grandson was followed for a foot surgery he had to have at age 1 and the appts waits were horrid. When they finally did schedule him for the surgery it was early in the day but he kept getting bumped and was nothing by mouth for waaay too long

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 07-31-2017, 07:02 AM   #27
Virginia
Rose Garden

I'm sorry to hear about the negative experiences.

We don't use the hospital that's connected to the university/med school We use a different network of hospitals. But being here near the med school means there's no shortage of doctors and nurses, unlike in a more rural area

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
mamacat (07-31-2017), Soliloquy (08-01-2017), tempus vernum (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 09:31 AM   #28
mamacat
Rose Garden

Yeah just threw that in there because some people equate the big teaching hospitals with the best dr.s and latest technology care and sometimes much better to use the other medical centers available

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (07-31-2017), Virginia (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 06:25 PM   #29
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

I find that true too about big university children's hospitals. We have a well known, well recognized university children's hospital about 2 hours from us straight down the highway or we can choose to drive 2 hours over state roads (minimal highway) to another children's hospital that better meets our family's needs. We choose to go to the second, even before we had family in the area.
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #30
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Yeah just threw that in there because some people equate the big teaching hospitals with the best dr.s and latest technology care and sometimes much better to use the other medical centers available

Ah gotcha. Thanks

DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020