Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #31
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I'm done with a messy house

I do remember getting to a point where I could look at a child's mess separately from other house cleaning needs and not let it stress me. I knew that at some point that day the child would clean it up, maybe with my help, but it wasn't my job at that moment. It helped me to be able to concentrate on and be satisfied with the jobs like kitchen and bathroom maintenance being under control. I'm not sure if that's helpful.

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
jandjmommy (04-17-2014), lucie (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:06 AM   #32
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

joysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly can't picture ever missing their messes when they are grown.
joysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joysworld For This Useful Post:
movinforward (04-21-2014), SamRose (04-16-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #33
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I won't miss the messes. I remember before kids the only messes I had to clean up when I got home from work were sometimes rinsing breakfast dishes!! And there weren't 4 or 5 loads of laundry a week. Two. Our clothes and towels.

I've never adjusted well to the extra work load at home and I think WOHM deserve an annual parade for having to do both. Because when WOHM, and DH stayed home I was doing both.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM   #34
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried confiscating anything left on the floor (or table or counter or whatever your problem area is)? I do that now, and it had more weight when it was new & scary , but at least there's no real fuss when something gets taken away & put in the 'confiscation bin' now. They can earn stuff back by doing an extra chore, but honestly they have enough stuff that they rarely miss what's gone. And THAT right there is a good way for me to prove the 'you have too much stuff' point, as well as saying if you dont take care of your things it tells me you no longer want them. Then I have a 3 strikes rule that if an item repeatedly ends up in the bin from being left on the floor, it's gone. (donated or sold)
It's not a magical fix, but it's helped some.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:08 AM   #35
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

joysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond repute

I have confiscated things, and they dont miss them.

I'm trying points. I came up with a list of chores that I like cleaned and assigned them points. Then I came up with a list of things the points can be used on. I told them about it last night and we started this morning. And it's working. They've cleaned their rooms, cleaned up after breakfast, empty dishwasher, picked up their toys from around the house (anything of theirs I had to pick up cost them a point), cleaned up the water off floor from their bath. They are really excited about the points.

I've had a chance to really clean the kitchen. Picked it up, cleaned off the countertops and table, swept, cleaned some of the baseboards, cleaned outside of fridge, clean some areas on the wall. Then I vacuumed living room and hallways. Feel really nice.
joysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to joysworld For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-16-2014), lucie (04-16-2014), movinforward (04-21-2014), RiverRock (04-17-2014), SamRose (04-16-2014), Singingmom (04-16-2014), staceylayne (04-18-2014), ThreeKids (04-18-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #36
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Kids adapt to the expectations of the household. DD had been making unholy crafty messes in multiple areas of the house for years. She went to my mom's house for a few days. Grandma handed her a box with fabric, scissors, and thread, showed her the one place she was allowed to sew, and told her that when she was done every last snip of thread had to go back in the box, and showed her where the box goes. Magic.
Clean straight through. Flitting from phone to getting dressed to calming kids to breakfast to starting laundry to checking computer to...is inefficient. Get everyone to clean for 30min straight through in the morning -after you've had your coffee but before the day gets away from you. Start off clean and you have a better chance of at least some of it ending clean. Like when you go into a friend's immaculate bathroom. You leave it as you found it, right? If you go into a grimy Texaco bathroom and your paper towel misses the trash can you may or may not pick it up.
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jandjmommy For This Useful Post:
movinforward (04-21-2014)
Old 04-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #37
Findabhair
Rose Bouquet

Findabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud ofFindabhair has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjmommy View Post
Kids adapt to the expectations of the household. DD had been making unholy crafty messes in multiple areas of the house for years. She went to my mom's house for a few days. Grandma handed her a box with fabric, scissors, and thread, showed her the one place she was allowed to sew, and told her that when she was done every last snip of thread had to go back in the box, and showed her where the box goes. Magic.
Clean straight through. Flitting from phone to getting dressed to calming kids to breakfast to starting laundry to checking computer to...is inefficient. Get everyone to clean for 30min straight through in the morning -after you've had your coffee but before the day gets away from you. Start off clean and you have a better chance of at least some of it ending clean. Like when you go into a friend's immaculate bathroom. You leave it as you found it, right? If you go into a grimy Texaco bathroom and your paper towel misses the trash can you may or may not pick it up.
Theoretically but I think visiting somewhere is somewhat different than being at home because I grew up in a house with an OCD mom who needs spick and span everything in it's place, and as a child my siblings could turn a perfectly tidy room at home into a complete pig sty in a matter of moments, and I had organized piles of art/ art supplies and laundry all over my bedroom floor a lot of the time which drove my mom batty. However I'd offer to clean up at other people's houses.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:12 AM   #38
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findabhair View Post
Theoretically but I think visiting somewhere is somewhat different than being at home because I grew up in a house with an OCD mom who needs spick and span everything in it's place, and as a child my siblings could turn a perfectly tidy room at home into a complete pig sty in a matter of moments, and I had organized piles of art/ art supplies and laundry all over my bedroom floor a lot of the time which drove my mom batty. However I'd offer to clean up at other people's houses.
I always think I'm explaining myself better than I am. What I mean is, kids are really not the cause of our messy houses. We are the ones who allow them to leave messes by modeling leaving messes, ignoring the messes left, and/or not teaching them how to clean up their own messes.
I am way too uptight to be OCD but DD I swear literally cannot see the havoc she trails around. Until my mom got her to pick up I honestly thought it was a lost cause - that I'd walk hunched over to pinch up threads and buttons and rubberbands until she grew up and moved away. It has taken a lot of time to teach her to craft at the dining table or in her room. When she cleans up she will still miss some. But she's training herself to look more closely because she reeeeeeally hates it when I ask her whether she looked under the table. She's not on automatic but she's close, and there has been no squelching whatsoever of her astounding creativity. She makes just as much stuff as ever, but now she cleans it up. Me not holding her accountable was the problem, not her making a mess. Making messes is awesome. Cleaning them up is necessary!
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jandjmommy For This Useful Post:
movinforward (04-21-2014), RiverRock (04-21-2014), staceylayne (04-18-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 07:24 AM   #39
movinforward
Rose Trellis

movinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond repute

It is very hard! I am right there with you. My kids are 12, 12, 7 and 5 and I feel like it is nonstop clean up at our house. I try to celebrate the small successes. For example, if clothes are continually going into hampers, instead of on floors, I am extremely happy. Last week, I found 10 pairs of PJs in my DSDs' beds - We had a talk about it and for the past week, they have been placing PJs in the hamper I think you just need to keep reminding - praise them for successes and find a workable situation. Can you take time in the eve, after boys go to bed, to clean up the kitchen and quick pick up? For me, starting the day with a clean kitchen is a big relief. The kitchen, for us, is the easiest thing to get out of control and it will drive me crazy. I cannot function in a dirty kitchen. Hang in there, I feel your pain
ThreeKids (04-21-2014)