Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Question House cleanliness standard for hospitality

I've been thinking about this quite a bit. I'd love to have more people over, but I think I may have a ridiculously high standard of house cleanliness which makes having people over not possible very often. It's interesting because there is a huge discrepancy of what I expect for my own house than what I expect when I go to other's houses.

So for my own house I feel like the living area must be dusted, vacuumed, furniture vacuumed (cause of the cat) and everything put away. The kitchen spotless - cabinets, counters, sink, appliances, rug, floor, etc. and everything tidied. The bathroom spotless as well - toilet, sink, mirrors, dust, floor, but not necessarily the tub/shower unless they are overnight guests.

If I'm visiting someone else's house, it doesn't have to be dusted or tidied or vacuumed or spotless by any stretch of the imagination.

I need to pare my standard down to something more reasonable so I can enjoy having more frequent guests. So if you were coming to my house for dinner or an afternoon visit, what would be your minimum standard of cleanliness?
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
BriansLovie (04-14-2014), ECingMama (04-03-2014), Elspeth (04-09-2014), graciousmomma (04-04-2014), KLin (04-16-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House cleanliness standard for hospitality

I will start this by saying I have the same issues!

Other people's houses don't gross me out, usually. For me, if things are decently clean I don't mind. So floors vacuumed within the last couple of days (or swept), a little day to day dirt is to be expected. I don't mind dirty dishes on the counter within reason, but if all of the kitchen counters are filthy and covered with smelly dishes, that would be a problem. Clutter on countertops and side tables and such does not bother me at all (i.e. stacks of papers or books or the like).

I guess the things that bother me are things that scream "I haven't bothered with cleaning in the last month" rather than day to day messes and hard to deal with things (like clutter) that are to be expected.
charla (04-03-2014), KLin (04-16-2014), Mama2MeadowRose (04-04-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
SamRose
Rose Garden

I <3 these cuties!

SamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond reputeSamRose has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the thing: just like you dont expect so much from others, they likely dont expect so much from you. If you cant bring yourself to relax your personal standards to as low as you accept from others, find a happy middle ground at least. Maybe skip the dusting and just throw a blanket over the couch so ppl dont sit in the cat hair? (Id appreciate that, as dh is allergic)

I have lower standards for what I expect than what I give as well, so I understand. I feel like it makes my guests feel special & valued to know that I put thought & effort into their visit, but I also know that my closer friends understand what life is like for a homeschooling mom of 4 young kids, and if a visit reveals more mess or clutter than normal, no biggie.

In general, if somebody is inviting me to spend time in their home, Id expect that their place not be filthy. Id appreciate not having to step or sit in yuckiness all over. If you invited us over for dinner, I would hope there would be clean dishes.
SamRose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SamRose For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014), gdzprncess (04-03-2014), houseforjoy (04-07-2014), JoannaV (04-03-2014), mom2boys (04-03-2014), Virginia (04-14-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
blondie
Rose Garden

A little bit crunchy, a little bit rock n' roll!

blondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond reputeblondie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the same way.

Lilla Rose Stylist
blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blondie For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014), TenderLovingWillow (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation

I have the EXACT SAME problem!! I want to sweep, mop, wipe down everything, nothing be out of place, flowers on the table/counter, bathroom scrubbed, etc, etc, etc...when I am having guests over.

But if I go to someone else's house I don't judge or look around to see how clean it is. Messy doesn't bug me at other's houses, filthy can.

To me:

Messy = normal day-to-day life stuff, kids toys around, laundry here or there, papers on counters, some crumbs on the floor, etc.

Filthy = urine all over the toilet/bathroom, sticky nasty floors and counters that are not clean enough to eat off (well, floor doesn't need to be clean enough to eat off of ), etc.

I know I have ridiculously high standards for my own house but I still don't regularly meet them and try hard to let some things go when guests come over because I have heard that people can actually feel uncomfortable in a home that is spotless when they come over. It needs to feel more "homey" and lived in for maximum comfort.

MOMMY TO
A - 14
A - 11
N - 8
Codi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Codi For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #6
Carini
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

If you don't stop naming nuts....

Carini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond reputeCarini has a reputation beyond repute

I'm the same way. I have gotten WAY better since having DD. Before DD, I would deep clean pretty much the entire house. Plus fresh flowers, candles and the works before I had people over. I'm still pretty particular about the way my house looks for parties or even when my parents come to stay. I've relaxed a lot for play dates and friends with kids.
Still, when we have friends over all surfaces are clear, bathroom wiped, floor vacuumed and mopped and kitchen spotless. I can relax more and enjoy my guests if the house is clean and comfortable to my standards.

I don't expect that at other people's or even notice if the floor is vacuumed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ISTJ
Wife to J - 2004
Doops - 10/2010
Sweetie Girl - 7/2014

Carini is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Carini For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Daria_Aleksandrovna
Rose Trellis

Daria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond reputeDaria_Aleksandrovna has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, if you want to be freaked out into more cleanliness - I do twitch my nose at old moldy bathrooms that should have been re-caulked ages ago. Mold grosses me out fast.

Kitchen/reception, dirty plates lying around - not batting eyelid, however

We definitely all need to chill out more, instead of putting more competitive pressure on each other))
DD1 (born Mar'15 )

Last edited by Daria_Aleksandrovna; 04-03-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Daria_Aleksandrovna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daria_Aleksandrovna For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014), DahliaRW (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

We have some friends and family members that it is ok with not being "company ready" and then others would only have over if was up to a certain standard

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014), Daria_Aleksandrovna (04-03-2014), ECingMama (04-03-2014), Emerald Orchid (04-03-2014), graciousmomma (04-04-2014), teamommy (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

I really like what this blog post has to say about it. And I'm going to break the link because I don't know what else she talks about on her blog.

http://dugansincahoots.com /2014/01/23/we-cant-be-friends/

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #10
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to have different standards for different visitors, how long we've lived at that location (we have moved pretty frequently in the past few years) and also how often they visit and how long they will be staying.

When someone is coming over for the first time I try to have things quite clean & tidy. If it's someone who visits more often and knows that the house is generally in 'acceptable' order I don't worry and do quick spot checks. If the person is staying with us overnight, I try to clean areas they'll be using a bit more thoroughly than usual, but not overboard so they'll still feel comfortable and not like they have to act like they're in a museum.

I enjoy having people over and so does my DH. I'm the type who gladly invited people who lived in larger homes to my dorm room in college for microwave meals and/or cookies and milk parties. I miss those days!

I'm a bit more cautious about inviting some people into my home now than I used to be. I tend to be more concerned that they won't think our house is 'nice enough' as opposed to 'clean enough' now that we should theoretically be more established than right out of college or newlywed.

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunflowermom For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014), ECingMama (04-03-2014), Emerald Orchid (04-03-2014), graciousmomma (04-04-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 01:26 PM   #11
LikeQuietDreams
Rose Trellis

fka Sweetbelly :)

LikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond repute

I really struggle with this as someone who struggles with housekeeping in general. I've literally gone years without inviting any one over, because the house never felt company ready.

My standards now are that nothing is stinky, the floor is reasonably clean and swept, the bathroom is mostly clean and not stinky, the kitchen counter and table are wiped off and clean, and I have enough clean dishes to be able to offer a snack or a drink.

It still bothers me, but I'm intentionally trying to be okay with it. Between lowering my standards and implementing some HTCI stuff, I'm starting to feel more comfortable.

Wifey to my always thinking, sarcastic, librarian, INFJ hubby. (10/2007) "So, I've been thinking..."
Loving mama to my energetic, compassionate, and BIG feelings having ds "I" (01/2009) "You're going to be okay, little plant."
and my easy-going though slightly demanding, tough bulldozer, ds "H". (09/2011) "Hey! Hey! HEEEY!"

I'm blogging!
LikeQuietDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LikeQuietDreams For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014), Elspeth (04-09-2014), KarenBoo (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #12
Auroras mom
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Bringing wacky back

Auroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond reputeAuroras mom has a reputation beyond repute

Close friends are allowed to see our daily stuff - laundry being done, dd's messes/toys, a few dishes from the previous meal, but anyone else and I feel I must have the entire house spotless and shiny.

"You make beautiful things
You make beautiful things out of dust
You make beautiful things out of us
You make things new
You are making me new"
- Gungor
Auroras mom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Auroras mom For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 05:04 PM   #13
sweetpeas
Rose Trellis

sweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeas has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't read the other replies yet, and don't really have an answer to your question, but wanted to throw 2 thoughts out for you (and anyone) to ponder

1) When I was younger/newly married, freaked out more about such things, I based how clean MY house had to be, on how clean someone else's house was. So if we visited someone and their house was spotless, then I freaked out and had to have my house spotless to have them over. If I visited someone's house and it was cluttered/lived in, then I relaxed and happily said "stop by anytime!" Guess which of those groups led to better friendships . . . I was insecure, eventually it hit me, others might be doing the same thing, so why not take the first step (plus, then I had spirited twins and a dh who was gone 12+ hrs a day, if you could walk through the house w/o breaking your neck, I was doing good that day!)

2) When the twins were toddlers, a young, overwhelmed mom who'd recently started attending our babywearing group, stopped by my house to pick something up. She barely stepped in the front door, but I was running an online buyers co-op and had turned my living room into shipping central, the kids had toys all over the entryway . . . by then, it didn't even phase me (and that part was GOOD compared to if she'd come on in to the kitchen & family room) that was our normal. Later she e-mailed me to thank me for what I'd given her, and she also gushingly thanked me for having a messy house. She had been feeling SO discouraged because whenever she went to a playdate or babywearing meeting or anything, the house was perfectly clean, and she could NOT keep her house like that and felt like she was the only one. . . that was really eye-opening to me, to realize that sometimes, in our striving to impress others, we discourage, instead of encouraging. . . and also helped me to let people see how we "really live" instead of some fake level of perfection.

Busy Homeschooling Mom to 3 Sweetpeas:
Lexie & Ashlyn 16 yr old twins
and
Lina, 9
Virtual Accountant and Bookkeeper in my "spare time"
sweetpeas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sweetpeas For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014), DahliaRW (04-03-2014), Daria_Aleksandrovna (04-04-2014), ECingMama (04-03-2014), Emerald Orchid (04-03-2014), graciousmomma (04-04-2014), heartofjoy (04-03-2014), KarenBoo (04-03-2014), november (04-15-2014), sunflowermom (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Those are some really good points, LaRee.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #15
Codi
Rose Garden

Codi has disabled reputation