Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House cleanliness standard for hospitality

I've always felt like I was alone with this problem and I should have known there is a whole sisterhood out there.

KarenBoo, I like the sentiment of the blog post quite a bit.

I need to process more before I can respond to anything else, but I'm so grateful for all of your observations.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to charla For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #17
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the House that Cleans Itself has helped me so much. I hate that I've been a perfectionist.

It's nice to have people over.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
charla (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #18
LikeQuietDreams
Rose Trellis

fka Sweetbelly :)

LikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeas View Post
She had been feeling SO discouraged because whenever she went to a playdate or babywearing meeting or anything, the house was perfectly clean, and she could NOT keep her house like that and felt like she was the only one. . . that was really eye-opening to me, to realize that sometimes, in our striving to impress others, we discourage, instead of encouraging. . . and also helped me to let people see how we "really live" instead of some fake level of perfection.
This is such a good point. A local gcmer and I started having regular playdates over a year ago. At first, I think we both cleaned like mad-women before every get-together. But then as we got to know each other better, we realized that we were struggling with the same thing. That took some of the pressure off, and we slowly started letting down our walls a bit and not stressing as much about cleaning up for each other. It's been really refreshing for me, not only to not have to fake a super-clean house every time she comes over, but also to not feel like a failure stacked up against her. We're both real moms with real homes full of real people. Our homes don't look like magazine spreads, and that's okay. I actually think that is what jump-started my lowering my expectations... I just felt so relieved that I could be real with someone.

Wifey to my always thinking, sarcastic, librarian, INFJ hubby. (10/2007) "So, I've been thinking..."
Loving mama to my energetic, compassionate, and BIG feelings having ds "I" (01/2009) "You're going to be okay, little plant."
and my easy-going though slightly demanding, tough bulldozer, ds "H". (09/2011) "Hey! Hey! HEEEY!"

I'm blogging!
LikeQuietDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LikeQuietDreams For This Useful Post:
BriansLovie (04-14-2014), charla (04-03-2014), ECingMama (04-05-2014), Findabhair (04-04-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 PM   #19
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

My standard to have guests over is ridiculous. Even once people are here, I will go fix something I forgot, like wipe down a lightswitch. For other people's houses, I don't care much as long as I can breathe (cat allergy and sensitive to odors). If you are offering me food, I do hope the kitchen appears sanitary and I do notice whether you wash your hands before dealing with food.
I want to know why we all can't keep our homes clean regularly? I have such a problem with day to day stuff, but growing up we went in and out of so many houses with no notice and everyone's house was Always clean! Not necessarily perfect, but definitely clean and uncluttered. Do we just have too much stuff now? Or too many screens to keep us from basic housekeeping? What is it, do you think?
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jandjmommy For This Useful Post:
charla (04-07-2014), Virginia (04-14-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #20
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjmommy View Post
)
I want to know why we all can't keep our homes clean regularly? I have such a problem with day to day stuff, but growing up we went in and out of so many houses with no notice and everyone's house was Always clean! Not necessarily perfect, but definitely clean and uncluttered. Do we just have too much stuff now? Or too many screens to keep us from basic housekeeping? What is it, do you think?
Now that I de-cluttered (for the 4th time in 4 years) and my kids are 4/6, my house *is* staying clean. I didn't run in and out of other people's houses when I was 4-6 and certainly not when I was younger than that. By the time, kids are elem age, I think it's easier *if* you have a a working system. And that's about the age that kids start running in and out of neighbor's homes, right?

House that Cleans Itself helped me figure out a system that works for *me.* So thrilled!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
charla (04-07-2014), jandjmommy (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM   #21
jandjmommy
Rose Bouquet

jandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of lightjandjmommy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
Now that I de-cluttered (for the 4th time in 4 years) and my kids are 4/6, my house *is* staying clean. I didn't run in and out of other people's houses when I was 4-6 and certainly not when I was younger than that. By the time, kids are elem age, I think it's easier *if* you have a a working system. And that's about the age that kids start running in and out of neighbor's homes, right?

House that Cleans Itself helped me figure out a system that works for *me.* So thrilled!
haha, we weren't by ourselves - I mean with my mom/parents dropping in on friends, taking food to people, picking kids up to play....I do agree that it's much easier to keep up now that my kids are "big". Baby time was easy too. It was that time between 2 and 4 when they're big enough to make big messes but not big enough to thoroughly clean up that was my worst time for sure.
jandjmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jandjmommy For This Useful Post:
charla (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #22
ECingMama
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandjmommy View Post
haha, we weren't by ourselves - I mean with my mom/parents dropping in on friends, taking food to people, picking kids up to play....I do agree that it's much easier to keep up now that my kids are "big". Baby time was easy too. It was that time between 2 and 4 when they're big enough to make big messes but not big enough to thoroughly clean up that was my worst time for sure.
yes, 2-4 is the worst!

I make sure my house is spotless if people are coming over....I don't have any friends where I'd just drop by....but I am looking forward to that era!
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
charla (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #23
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

My DH's aunt was in town and wanted to stop in to see us. I spent most of the day hoping she would change her mind about coming but tidied a bit here and there. I was also in the mid to late stages of pregnancy and oh.so.tired with my first boy. When she said she was on her way over, I ran the vacuum cleaner and picked up more stuff. I was exhausted. She arrived and walked in and I kept cleaning even while she was there. (House was much more unkept than I liked because I had already been to the ER for a hemorrhage during the pregnancy and my DH wanted me to take it very easy for the rest of the pregnancy though he was working crazy overtime and couldn't help with the cleaning). DH's aunt begged me to sit down and stop cleaning. She said, "I didn't come to visit your house, I came to visit you." She then told me how when she was a single mom, she lived in the projects with a mattress in the living room where she slept with her kids. She told me how blessed I was to have the house that I had. It definitely made me reflect and relax my standards a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device
mommychem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
charla (04-07-2014), DahliaRW (04-07-2014), ECingMama (04-07-2014), LikeQuietDreams (04-07-2014), lucie (04-07-2014), MaybeGracie (04-08-2014), RiverRock (04-22-2014), SamRose (04-07-2014), sweetpeas (04-07-2014), Tasmanian Saint (04-07-2014), Virginia (04-14-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #24
JulAmber
Seedling Rose

JulAmber is on a distinguished road

Tell me more about this House That Cleans Itself. I'm intrigued!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JulAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #25
LikeQuietDreams
Rose Trellis

fka Sweetbelly :)

LikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond reputeLikeQuietDreams has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulAmber View Post
Tell me more about this House That Cleans Itself. I'm intrigued!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's a link to the book. It's all about recognizing that some people are naturally gifted at housekeeping and some are not. It's all about working with your natural habits instead of against them. Domina posted a very detailed book review... you might want to do a search for it.

http://www.amazon.com/House-That-Cle...+cleans+itself

Wifey to my always thinking, sarcastic, librarian, INFJ hubby. (10/2007) "So, I've been thinking..."
Loving mama to my energetic, compassionate, and BIG feelings having ds "I" (01/2009) "You're going to be okay, little plant."
and my easy-going though slightly demanding, tough bulldozer, ds "H". (09/2011) "Hey! Hey! HEEEY!"

I'm blogging!
LikeQuietDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 AM   #26
ForHim
Rose Bush

ForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant futureForHim has a brilliant future

My house is always clean-ish. I used to be absolutely petrified of people coming over and it used to really stress me out. I never knew other people noticed, until DH let it slip that one of our friends was visiting. She told him not to tell me because she knows how I stressed about the house being spotless. And apparently she was not the only friend / family member who did this.

It changed me a lot. Now I clean for us because we are worthy of having a clean house. Not that I've every lived in a messy house, it has always been picke up, dishes washed, and bathroom has always been spotless. If people drop by, that's fine. I don't lift a finger to clean anything. This is authentically us. We enjoy our house, We enjoy our things. We look after our things. And I am blessed to have family and friends who want to visit. If they have a bad impression, that's on them, but I am at peace that I am dong the best I can for my family. If that means, the washer is leaking water all over the floor (again!) and my daughter is happily playing in it, so be it!

Hymnsong (April 2018)
ForHim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForHim For This Useful Post:
charla (04-14-2014), lucie (04-14-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #27
mommy2abigail
Rose Trellis

mommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant futuremommy2abigail has a brilliant future

That sounds reasonable to me, and what I like having done before official guests. Sometimes my neighbor comes over unannounced, but she's got 4 kids under 6, so she totally understands!

“Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong.”
Leo Buscaglia
mommy2abigail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommy2abigail For This Useful Post:
charla (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 05:51 PM   #28
peekaboomama
Climbing Rose

peekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboomama has a reputation beyond repute

I try. I'm not a housekeeper though. For most people, my standard is no clothes lying around, few if any toys in the middle of the room (they may be kicked right to the side...), and the bathroom quick wiped down with vinegar spray. My best friend doesn't get that much , but then she comes in without calling/knocking too.

I used to be petrified to invite people over because my house is SO not magazine worthy, but I've come to value the fellowship more than making a good impression It's been freeing.

Gabi Sunshine: Blogging sewing and creative play
peekaboomama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peekaboomama For This Useful Post:
charla (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #29
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

We live out of the way, so we don't get many visitors When someone is coming to visit, even family, I want the house spotless

But...I think I'm a little different than you guys If I go over to someone's house, I totally notice if it's dirty. I don't necessarily judge them or anything, but I definitely see the cobwebs in the corner, the dust on top of the ceiling fan blades, etc. I don't mean to It just happens
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
charla (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 06:25 PM   #30
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

Striving to be a gentle mama and enjoying my littles.

BriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
We live out of the way, so we don't get many visitors When someone is coming to visit, even family, I want the house spotless

But...I think I'm a little different than you guys If I go over to someone's house, I totally notice if it's dirty. I don't necessarily judge them or anything, but I definitely see the cobwebs in the corner, the dust on top of the ceiling fan blades, etc. I don't mean to It just happens
This made me laugh!!! Now I guess I better clean like a mad woman before you come visit some day!

I struggle with this. I'm not a great housekeeper and it bothers me a lot. I always freak out about cleaning when someone comes over. I worry about what they think of me. But I think I need to just relax because I am a mother who can't do it all and I have three boys and a husband who pee on the floor sometimes. .

Mama to J - 11, J - 9, & A - 5
&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
BriansLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BriansLovie For This Useful Post:
charla (04-14-2014), Virginia (04-14-2014)