Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #1
Onebusygrl
Seedling Rose

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. ~Louisa May Alcott

Onebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to all
Default Tell me about your washer!

So we are in the market for a new washing machine and I need some suggestions. We have a 4 year old Whirlpool Duet but have horrible issues with black mold growing inside, and despite all our cleaning efforts, most of our clothes now smell like mildew after being washed.

After doing some research and finding that this is a common problem with front load washers, regardless of brand, I decided to look at top load washers. However, even the "highly rated" ones have a good amount of negative reviews that consistently talk about some pretty annoying problems, like "unbalanced load errors", presumably because the new HE washers have no agitator. The big problem with this for me is that it can cause a load of laundry to take several hours to wash, and that's something I'm not willing to deal with. It would be especially annoying for my husband who often does a last minute load of laundry the night before he goes on shift.

Do you have a washer that you love? With no mold issues and no unbalanced load errors, or other major issues, preferably?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aidan - 5
Emalyn - 2
Kylie Ann - EDD June 9

Onebusygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #2
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tell me about your washer!

Whirlpool Duet here. We have had it just a little over two years, and so far have had no problems. I still like it a lot.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Onebusygrl (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

To prevent mold, we always dry it and keep the door propped open a little. No problems yet and its been 2 years. It's a Samsung VRT.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God

Last edited by Hermana Linda; 04-06-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Onebusygrl (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 08:41 AM   #4
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I *love* my front loader. It's a Samsung. No mold issues, I've been fanatical about keeping washing machines open when not in use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (04-06-2014), Onebusygrl (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Onebusygrl
Seedling Rose

I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship. ~Louisa May Alcott

Onebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to allOnebusygrl is a name known to all

We've tried everything with ours including cleaning it regularly and leaving the door open, but the detergent dispenser and door seal always grow black mold...and I can only assume it's elsewhere inside the machine if it's there despite everything we've done. It's been going on for at least 2 years. I've read about several class action lawsuits against Whirlpool for these issues. They say it's a design issue but I don't know why everyone doesn't experience the problems if that's the case. So frustrating. The old school washers were so much better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aidan - 5
Emalyn - 2
Kylie Ann - EDD June 9

Onebusygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

That's terrible.

Old 04-06-2014, 11:37 PM   #7
AnotherNamedKate
Climbing Rose

AnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond reputeAnotherNamedKate has a reputation beyond repute

Our laundry room is really small, so we have to have a top loader. We just got a brand spankin' new washer and dryer, both are Whirlpool Cabrio. We had some problems with the washer, but it turned out to be an installation error. After that was fixed I just love it! It's got the same capacity as a front loader, and without the agitator I can fit our king sized comforter in there easily (it has a setting for it too). I haven't had any problems with run times or unbalancing issues. My clothes never get that soiled, so I put them on the lightest cycle, and that normally takes just under a half hour. Dh's gym clothes go on the hell fire setting, which takes about fifty minutes but the horrible putrid stench comes out really well. I've not had a problem with it getting stains in ds's clothes out either. The dryer is really fast too and has a sensor to detect when clothes are actually dry, it's a bit on the noisy side though, but nothing compared to our old GE one.

Now, my mom has an LG front loader, which is more money but it's slightly better still. It's more expensive, but it also sings to you when it's done. She hasn't had mold issues yet, but I've heard on the newer front loaders they have fixed that problem by improving the seals somehow.

ENTJ
AnotherNamedKate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AnotherNamedKate For This Useful Post:
Onebusygrl (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 06:21 AM   #8
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

Does your Duet have the "fan fresh" feature? If so, do you use it? I think that is supposed to help with the mold issue.

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebusygrl View Post
The old school washers were so much better!

Yes, they are. And for that reason, I use old school. New machines are controlled by computers, which are awesome when they work, but when they don't, it's expensive to fix. And by reading reviews, they all have issues.

Old school machines without computers will run forever. After a decade or two, when something does break, it's going to be an inexpensive repair that a handy husband can probably manage.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
Onebusygrl (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #10
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Hmmm. We have a front loading whirlpool duet. We didn't specifically choose this one -- as a part of our home purchase it came with a percentage to spend on whirlpool appliances. We needed a washer, they offered this washer, so that's what we ended up with.

That said, we've had it for four years and I love it. I've never had any mold problems. I have always kept the door open on it tho from the very beginning because I've heard the mold stories from people...
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Onebusygrl (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

We have an old school washer.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Onebusygrl (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 AM   #12
RubySlippers
Deactivated

There's no place like home.

RubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond reputeRubySlippers has a reputation beyond repute

I love my *LARGE CAPACITY* washer. It's a top loading Whirlpool Cabrio, which reminds me that I have weeks of laundry to catch up on...

Skips off to put a load in...
RubySlippers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RubySlippers For This Useful Post:
Onebusygrl (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #13
Shutterbug
Rose Bush

Shutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to allShutterbug is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherNamedKate View Post
...but it also sings to you when it's done. ...
I want one that sings to me!
Hermana Linda (04-07-2014), Onebusygrl (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #14
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

My Samsung sings, too! It has about 5 different tunes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Onebusygrl (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

See, this thread is multi-purpose. After responding in here, I went and did a clean my washer cycle. I always forget to do those.

Now I feel accomplished.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Onebusygrl (04-07-2014)