Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #1
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

joysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default I think I'm done with a messy house

I can't stand it any longer. I try and try and try to just deal, but I can't. I have a 6, 7, and 8 yos and they keep me sooooooooo busy. I just don't have time to clean. But I'm done having a messy house. What do I do? Is it possible to have a clean house with kids these ages? And if not, how do I learn to deal with a messy house. Any tips?

Last edited by joysworld; 04-15-2014 at 07:52 PM.
joysworld is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joysworld For This Useful Post:
MaiMama (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #2
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think I'm done

Don't scare me like that! I thought you were done with us.

Regarding the house...I have no miraculous answers. Do your kids help clean at all?

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to staceylayne For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (04-15-2014), WanderingJuniper (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
Singingmom
Administrator

Oh, sing to the Lord a new song!

Singingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond reputeSingingmom has a reputation beyond repute

Scared me too!

At those ages it's sometimes more work to have them help with things and teach them how, but in the long run it's gold. What kinds of things are they already doing?

Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Romans 15:13
Singingmom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Singingmom For This Useful Post:
jandjmommy (04-17-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #4
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

joysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond reputejoysworld has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about that. Didn't even realize. I'm just so tired and done with a messy house.

They empty and load dishwasher, empty dryer, vacuum (but do an awful job). And clean their room.

The good thing is I'm a minamalist so when it's messy, an hour and the whole house is clean. But what's the point of cleaning it when its messy an hour after I clean it.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I had an answer for you. It drives me nuts, too. I keep telling myself that some day I will truly miss this. My kids are creative and do all kinds of projects (and even finish them, sometimes! ). I'm working on HTCI and making sure everything has a place. I do also tell them that I do not want to see ANYTHING on the floor unless it's a floor activity that they currently doing (building or something). Legos, papers, books, on the floor go to Goodwill.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
movinforward (04-21-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

I am so there with you. I have no answers either
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
Maggirayne
Rose Garden

Standing for gentleness and honesty

Maggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond reputeMaggirayne has a reputation beyond repute

Cleaning with kids is like shoveling while it's snowing. I hate it. :P
Maggirayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Maggirayne For This Useful Post:
Findabhair (04-17-2014), graciousmomma (04-17-2014), joysworld (04-15-2014), MaiMama (04-15-2014), movinforward (04-21-2014), PlateauMama (04-21-2014), Soliloquy (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually just told my kids to stay on the couch while I clean and then for a while after. I just needed to see progress that badly. I didn't care what they did on the couch, there just had to be some stalling of the constant "pick something up, wander over there, drop it, pick up something else" cycle they do. I try to tell them to just visit things where they are, not to wander around with it if they can't put it back where it was, but there are more of them than there are of me and I wouldn't have the attention span to watch for them dropping stuff to tell them to take it back even if I had three sets of eyes.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
deena (04-15-2014), movinforward (04-21-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 04:16 PM   #9
staceylayne
Rose Garden

Hopeful.

staceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond reputestaceylayne has a reputation beyond repute

We're all loads of help!

Is it cleaning-cleaning (dusting, scrubbing toilets, etc) that's getting you down? Or the tidy-cleaning of toys and papers and crayons and legos and discarded socks and Rainbow Loom bands () and and...?

Joyful momma to:

B - 7.5, my pensive planner
D - 5.5, my spunky sunshine
C - 3.5, my cuddly cutie

And baby girl A, born April 28!
Why, yes, I am ENFP

But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. James 3:17-18
staceylayne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to staceylayne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (04-15-2014), WanderingJuniper (04-15-2014)
The Following User Says they are praying for staceylayne:
apmommy (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

I have no solutions, just
joysworld (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
Peaceful Meadows
Rose Garden

Peaceful Meadows has disabled reputation

Do what I do, find a friend who also has a messy house then you'll feel normal.

Seriously, you are in the midst of busy years. You have the rest of your life to clean. It's o.k. to sometimes let the house go as long as it's not hazardous.

It helps me to have the kids pickup their things in the living and family rooms before lunch and before bedtime. When I'm consistent in this, it keeps the main living areas mostly clutter free. The bedrooms are a different story, though.

ETA: I have them each in charge of an area. The oldest and youngest are in charge of the vacuuming and dusting the living room. The two middle boys are in charge of vacuuming and dusting the family room. They each have a part of the bathroom they clean. It helps so much for them to have areas they are responsible for.

Feel free to visit my little nook

Last edited by Peaceful Meadows; 04-15-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Peaceful Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peaceful Meadows For This Useful Post:
Kiara.I (04-15-2014), MaiMama (04-15-2014), Soliloquy (04-15-2014), squiddles (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 04:56 PM   #12
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceylayne View Post
We're all loads of help!

Is it cleaning-cleaning (dusting, scrubbing toilets, etc) that's getting you down? Or the tidy-cleaning of toys and papers and crayons and legos and discarded socks and Rainbow Loom bands () and and...?
It's all of it. I don't even get to the cleaning cleaning because I'm so busy picking up.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:02 PM   #13
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I think you really just have to be on it almost constantly.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 05:10 PM   #14
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

GIGANTIC LOVING SQUISHY HUG.

You don't know how much it scared me to see the title, and the relief to see it in housekeeping.

Anyway - clean house. My kids have to pick up there own stuff and put their own stuff away. When I fold their laundry (less often than I'd like to admit ) they have to put it away. If they don't put their stuff away they lose it

I've thought about getting everyone their own basket. And when I do my 10 minute tidy I just dump their stuff in there and they can put it away.

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
joysworld (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 05:17 PM   #15
joysworld
Deactivated

~I choose joy~

What about something like this

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I think you really just have to be on it almost constantly.
That is soooooo tiring though and I can't really do it constantly.
The Following User Says Thank You to joysworld For This Useful Post: