Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vegetarianism & Veganism (Veg Support Forum) *Public* [Join Forum to Post] A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who is vegan or vegetarian?

I think I'm at 39 years. Still don't like eggs or dairy but am too lazy too be vegan (with a meat eating family.)

Last edited by mommylove; 11-27-2017 at 10:24 AM.
mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
flowermama (11-27-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 10:46 PM   #17
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord
Rose Garden

I'm most definitely an INFJ. ;-)

WaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond reputeWaitPatientlyOnTheLord has a reputation beyond repute

I've been vegan 10 years but last spring with all my new allergy issues was convinced by my (formerly supportive) dietician to start including eggs bc most foods have been eliminated for me. I only buy eggs from places where I can meet the chickens, but I still feel terrible about it. I don't buy things with eggs as an ingredient or anything, though. Now I'm thinking DD might be reacting to eggs so I'll probably just go back to reading the things I'm sensitive to because I just can't!! It's like I can't win for losing.

I made walnut oatmeal patties for thanksgiving. Plus all the other stuff...
WaitPatientlyOnTheLord is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WaitPatientlyOnTheLord For This Useful Post:
flowermama (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 12:13 PM   #18
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitPatientlyOnTheLord View Post
I've been vegan 10 years but last spring with all my new allergy issues was convinced by my (formerly supportive) dietician to start including eggs bc most foods have been eliminated for me. I only buy eggs from places where I can meet the chickens, but I still feel terrible about it. I don't buy things with eggs as an ingredient or anything, though. Now I'm thinking DD might be reacting to eggs so I'll probably just go back to reading the things I'm sensitive to because I just can't!! It's like I can't win for losing.

I made walnut oatmeal patties for thanksgiving. Plus all the other stuff...
Yum!

It would be so hard to have a lot of allergies! I understand feeling badly about eating the eggs. I got an egg once from a friend who raises birds, and I just couldn't bring myself to eat it. I don't have allergies, though. Anyway, so I don't judge you at all ((hugs)), but I can understand feeling badly about it, and I hope you are able to find an alternative source of nutrition that will be healthy for you and that you feel good about. What nutrients are you needing? Can you eat things like chia seeds, hemp seeds, and spirulina?

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post
I think I'm at 39 years. Still don't like eggs or dairy but am too lazy too be vegan (with a meat eating family.)
Wow, 39 years! So... I'm trying to understand -- do you eat eggs and dairy even if you don't like them?

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Chickadee is anaphylactic to egg and dairy. So we do lots of vegan baking!
Oh, that would be scary! I'm so glad there are so many non-egg and non-dairy options these days. What do you like to use for an egg replacer when you bake? Do you have a favorite non-dairy milk you like to use? We like to use rice milk because it has such a mild flavor, and it reminded my kids of breastmilk when they were little. Hemp milk is one of my favorites. And Ripple Milk is, too -- it's pea milk. It boggles my mind how many options there are these days!

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flowermama For This Useful Post:
bananacake (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #19
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I am posting in this thread on behalf of my dd. She has been vegetarian for 3 and half years (since she was 8) and has a lot of interest in being Vegan. Even in the aspects where she eats animal product - she is very careful, she prefers free. For awhile she would not drink cow milk (either coconut milk or almond milk) and only free range eggs. Now she drinks some cow milk again too. But no meat.

I used to be flexitarian (ate more vegetarian than not). But I have been eating more meat lately. STill no pork at all though.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
flowermama (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 12:25 AM   #20
mommylove
Rose Garden

mommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond reputemommylove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Wow, 39 years! So... I'm trying to understand -- do you eat eggs and dairy even if you don't like them?
Yes. But not unadulterated. I won't drink milk. Ever. But I will eat ice cream or cheese on occasion. I won't eat plain eggs. But I will eat them cooked/baked into things -- more willingly if I can't tell they're there.

I bake with eggs & butter.

If we go out or eat at someone's house, cheese ravioli (for example) tends to be something that meat eaters can wrap their heads around. I don't particularly care for it, but I'll eat it. I eat cheese on pizza.

If I were 100% on my own, I would totally be vegan. But since I'm not alone (and don't wish to be!!!!) this is the compromise I make for the sake of convenience.

mommylove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mommylove For This Useful Post:
bananacake (11-28-2017), flowermama (11-28-2017), Little Forest (11-30-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 11:40 AM   #21
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommylove View Post
Yes. But not unadulterated. I won't drink milk. Ever. But I will eat ice cream or cheese on occasion. I won't eat plain eggs. But I will eat them cooked/baked into things -- more willingly if I can't tell they're there.

I bake with eggs & butter.

If we go out or eat at someone's house, cheese ravioli (for example) tends to be something that meat eaters can wrap their heads around. I don't particularly care for it, but I'll eat it. I eat cheese on pizza.

If I were 100% on my own, I would totally be vegan. But since I'm not alone (and don't wish to be!!!!) this is the compromise I make for the sake of convenience.
Thanks for explaining! I've had a several people tell me recently that when they are around other people is when they are less likely to eat vegan.

Have you tried baking without eggs and butter? I'm not sure if it's something you are interested in, but I've found that it's pretty easy to veganize most recipes.

I was told that more and more people are becoming vegan. Someone told me last week that all the "hip bars" around here have vegan menus. I wonder if it's more younger people who are becoming attracted to being vegan? And I'm guessing since I live in western Washington, it might be more common here. Anyway, I think it's becoming easier to be vegan because more people have heard of it, and there are recipes all over the net. Hopefully some day people won't even bat an eye when someone says they are vegan!

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
I am posting in this thread on behalf of my dd. She has been vegetarian for 3 and half years (since she was 8) and has a lot of interest in being Vegan. Even in the aspects where she eats animal product - she is very careful, she prefers free. For awhile she would not drink cow milk (either coconut milk or almond milk) and only free range eggs. Now she drinks some cow milk again too. But no meat.

I used to be flexitarian (ate more vegetarian than not). But I have been eating more meat lately. STill no pork at all though.
Oh, good for your daughter! And good for you for supporting her not eating animals.

That's great that you used to be more vegetarian than not. Is it a conscious decision on your part to eat more meat, or is it something you are just slipping into? Are you interested in eating less again? So glad you aren't eating pigs.

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #22
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermama View Post
Is it a conscious decision on your part to eat more meat, or is it something you are just slipping into? Are you interested in eating less again? So glad you aren't eating pigs.
Oh definitely just slipping into. Or slipped into. Partly out of laziness.

I do plan to go more Flexitarian again soon.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
flowermama (11-28-2017)
Old 11-30-2017, 08:12 PM   #23
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

I used to roll my eyes at vegetarians, especially vegans. So funny to have done a 180 on that!

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
flowermama (12-01-2017)
Old 12-01-2017, 06:30 AM   #24
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

The carrot souffle was brought by a friend. His wife was out of town so he and his sons came over and I was shocked. I didn't know he could cook! When they finish their big move I intend to get the recipe because it was seriously good (though not vegan, I could taste the egg)!

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
flowermama (12-01-2017)