Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Beverages *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:26 PM   #16
Lady TS
Rose Garden

Wish I was there!

Lady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond reputeLady TS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kombucha recipes, tips, tweaks, and general Q & A

I read somewhere that you should use a glass container that hasn't been washed with dishsoap.

So, can I use my suntea container then? It's definitely been washed with dishsoap.
and Avery, with the Lord September 2010

In essentials, Unity
In non-essentials, Liberty
In all things, Charity

My Blogs: Living Healthy in the Modern World and Wordy Musings
Lady TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #17
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havilah
Do you brew in a bowl? Where'd you find a rubber band that big? That sounds like a much better plan.
I brew in a gallon jar--the size of the mouth is about 6 inches in diameter, I'd guess, maybe a bit more. I buy them at the farm where we get raw milk. I also use them for storing grain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Savannah
Is it safe to use herbal tea? I always thought it wasn't. . .
It is safe but my understanding is that you have to use black tea for the SCOBY to make glucorionic acid, which is one of the main health benefits. If you use herbal tea, you won't get nearly the same health benefits. During the fermentation, almost all the caffeine (as well as sugar) is chemically converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady TS
I read somewhere that you should use a glass container that hasn't been washed with dishsoap.

So, can I use my suntea container then? It's definitely been washed with dishsoap.
I've read that, too. I use all-natural dish soap and dishwasher detergent and I use it on my kombucha utensils all the time. It's fine. If you use a mainstream dishwasher detergent, then it has chlorine bleach in it and it will leave a residue that could kill your SCOBY. You can use a natural dish soap or vinegar and water. If you've ever used conventional soap, just rinse really, really, really well.

Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #18
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

I washed mine in hot water/vinegar to remove any residue.
Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #19
hopefromgrace
Climbing Rose

hopefromgrace has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaM

It is safe but my understanding is that you have to use black tea for the SCOBY to make glucorionic acid, which is one of the main health benefits. If you use herbal tea, you won't get nearly the same health benefits. During the fermentation, almost all the caffeine (as well as sugar) is chemically converted.
What about using green tea? I wonder if that would make the glucorionic acid.....

So, that was my question earlier.......about caffeine....so, it's safe to give to kids?

My scoby has been resting the way you all mentioned, but not in the fridge......do you think it is still ok?
How do you tell if it's not good?
and precious baby Harmony born 9/6/10-my labor day baby!
Both born at home.

missing our angel babies, 9/07 and 11/08

When Mother Teresa received her nobel prize, she was asked,"What can we do to promote world peace?"
She replied, "Go home and love your family."

hopefromgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #20
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

:wave I am about to start my first batch using no refined sugar as an experiment. I recently read a website about using only honey in kombucha and have been wanting to try it

AFA the unanswered questions so far. . . .

Kombucha is definitely safe for kids

Not sure on the unrefrigerated scoby - but it's probably okay cuz it's just like making a tiny batch of kombucha

Not sure on the green tea. I've never had a scoby go bad so I have no clue how to tell if it's not good When I was concerned, I googled and got some pics But if it *looks* fine, you will know for sure if it doesn't have a baby, it's probably not good or you messed up somehow.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #21
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

There are some websites that tell you to NEVER refrigerate a SCOBY, just to keep it fed. If it runs out of food, it will eventually die. Refrigeration slows down the metabolism of the SCOBY so it won't starve as quickly. If a baby doesn't start to grow when you put it in fresh sweet tea, then it's dead. So, the one on your counter--did it grow a baby?

Lisa Kombucha Method: This is what I've come up with after awhile--it's the easiest for me.

Bring about 4 cups of water to a boil.
Pour into a large bowl w/ a spout. (I use the Pampered Chef mixing bowl--it has measurement right on the bowl, a handle, and a spout. )
Add 2 Tbsp. organic black tea and 1 cup sugar.
Stir well to dissolve the sugar
Let sit for about at least an hour--or until you're ready.
Remove SCOBYs from finished KT, place in bowl, bottle finished kombucha leaving about 1/2 cup in the jar. Do not wash the jar.
Put some VERY cold water into the jar, then add the sweet tea (I pour it through a strainer), then more cold water until it's at the appropriate level (I figured out the right level previous times through measuring but I no longer measure).
Add the SCOBY.
Cover w/ dishtowel (I use the same one over and over w/o washing) and secure w/ a rubber band. Place in pantry.
Write date on calendar so I don't forget!
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
purstrength (08-06-2009)
Old 02-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #22
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

never be afraid of who you were meant to be

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

my last batch of green tea didn't produce a very good scoby..does much better on black.

What about water?? We have a RO and our tap water is from a water softener..I think I have been using the RO water...but would prefer to just use tap because it is unlimited..where the RO runs out....

any ideas??

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
cobluegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #23
crunchymum
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

speak softly and carry a big coffee

crunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond reputecrunchymum has a reputation beyond repute

the recipe i always use says to use distilled water...

birth doula
my waterbirth montage
my etsy!

"i did not want my children to love me because i had been an adequate mother, because i would never be one, this i already knew. i wanted my children to love me for the same reason i want my children themselves to be loved: because we are all irreducible, irreplaceable." -gina bria
crunchymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #24
lmgeenw
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

lmgeenw has disabled reputation

I want to make kombucha, but for whatever reason, I am scared. I make yogurt and kefir, but I use starter, not grains. I got grains from kefir once and I killed them when dd2 was born. Is a scoby kind of the same?

Wife to DH since 1999
Momma to 3 awesome kiddos
IBCLC and postpartum doula in private practice
lmgeenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #25
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I've read many sources that say to used distilled water. I don't. I did once but it didn't make any difference. I used filtered water.

You can use plain tap water if you let it sit out for 24 hours. That give the chlorine time to evaporate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmgeenw
I want to make kombucha, but for whatever reason, I am scared. I make yogurt and kefir, but I use starter, not grains. I got grains from kefir once and I killed them when dd2 was born. Is a scoby kind of the same?
A kombucha SCOBY is similar to a kefir SCOBY but they look different. Kefir needs to be attended to almost daily while kombucha brews for 7-21 days, depending on your taste preference and the temperature in your home. In some ways kefir is easier, in some ways kombucha is easier.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #26
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

cobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond reputecobluegirl has a reputation beyond repute

my tap water has salt it in..because it is filtered through a water softener...

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1

The greatest challenge for most of us is believing that we are worthy now, right this minute. Worthiness doesn't have prerequisites. ~Brene Brown "The Gifts of Imperfection"[/CENTER]
Old 02-09-2009, 06:12 PM   #27
Blue Savannah
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Blue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Savannah has a reputation beyond repute

I get water outside. . . it is well water, and not softened like the house tap water. We have filtered water, too, but the poor filter can't keep up with my kombucha habit.

BTW, putting the kombucha in old wine bottles for a second ferment is my favorite way to drink it. So fizzy!
Blue Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #28
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobluegirl
my tap water has salt it in..because it is filtered through a water softener...
ahhh, that probably wouldn't be good. Can you bypass the softener?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #29
Havilah

Mine is 9 days old and it's jelly-like on the top layer, and there are a few moldy areas forming. Is that normal? It seems gross.

It's starting to smell more kombucha-ish though. For awhile it just smelled like stinky stale tea.

Oh, and what does "growing a baby" look like? There are stringy bits around in the water, and little stringy bits trailing from the mother.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #30
cobluegirl
Rose Garden

Can you post a picture? shouldn't be any mold...

T4/1 ISTJ Enneagram 9

Ds-T4/2
Dd1-T1/4
Dd2-T2/1