Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Animal Companions (Pets) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Animal Companions (Pets) *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy possibly re-homing our dog

Kinda long, bare with me lol

About two and a half years ago we adopted a sweet dog named Brody from church friends of ours, (he had been chasing and attacking their chickens so they couldn't keep him), he is a lab/greyhound mix. He is now 10 years old, and could potentially live another couple years or more.
He is in excellent physical health, but he seems to be bi-polar (if that's possible for dogs). He bounces back and forth between incredibly depressed, to unbelievably happy. All we know about his history is this:
Birth-2years: unknown/shelter
2years-4years: owned by John, who trained him incredibly well, he was a fantastic owner, we met him and have gotten to know him, he comes over to visit and give us training tips, he rehomed Brody because his work hours were too long and Brody was needing to stay crated for up to 14 hours during the day, and was seeming to be very depressed by this.
4years-7years: Brenda's family (from church)
7years-now: us

We have speculated that during Brody's first two years he must have been abused, because he does not like most men, and he cowers in fear (serious shaking fear) when there is tension in the room. He couldn't handle the baby crying or me hollering at the kids... thankfully those things have lessened lately, and he has adapted well... but he's still a very very emotional dog.

We spend a lot of time with him daily, we have 5 acres for him to race on, the greyhound in him LOVES running! He loves the boys and must go everywhere with them, and sleeps on their beds. We love him a lot.

Anyways... with John and with Brenda he had doggy siblings. I believe that he is incredibly lonely. He is SO social when we take him to the dog park, I think he really wants a doggy friend. He's never been alone like that until our house. It is not an option for us to get another dog. At all.

We are building a new house, and at our new property we are within hearing distance of a gun range , on sunny weekends the guns are going off like a war zone, and we recently had Brody there and noticed how miserable he was... he was just an emotional wreck, and now we're worried about what life will be like there for him...

So, a few months ago Brody followed the car of our friends down our driveway and down the road about 1/2 mile, he stopped at a home that had 3 dogs in the front yard. They became BEST FRIENDS, and ever since then he runs away every chance he can get and goes straight there. He has even spent the night there, ON THE WOMAN's BED! The people there (three elderly folks) just love him, he is so happy there, when I go to pick him up he resists terribly. The other day they straight up asked if we would consider letting them adopt him.

I am so conflicted... he is obviously so happy there with THREE doggy friends, totally spoiled by the humans, 25 acres to run on... But we really love him a lot and I burst into tears everytime I think of letting him go. The kids could go either way on it, we've talked and they understand the situation, but get a little sad too...

Any advice would be appreciated... or just some listening ears... and prayers that we'd figure something out
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #2
CelticJourney
Administrator

CelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond reputeCelticJourney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: possibly re-homing our dog

I know we will probably never have an 'only' dog. They got so much from each other (and I love that the older dogs wear out the puppies and help them learn where to go to the bathroom ). So I would say 'go big or rehome'. Consider getting him a puppy or letting him live where he is happy. Of course that doesn't address the gun fire sounds.

"Truth without love is divisive and hurtful & love without truth is anemic"--Pastor Estep

Arise, cry out in the night...pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord; Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children..; Lamentations 2:19
CelticJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CelticJourney For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (04-09-2017), Llee (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #3
weerach
Rose Garden

weerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond reputeweerach has a reputation beyond repute

Aww I reeeally feel for you. Huge hugs. I couldn't imagine rehoming Monty, even if he is an excitable scamp.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Mr N 2009
Mr J 2010
Miss S 2013
Miss N - 2016

6 angels waiting with the Lord

"Looking off unto Jesus my spirit is blessed,
In the world i have turmoil ; In him i have rest,
While the sea of my life all about me may roar,
When i look unto Jesus i see it no more"
weerach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weerach For This Useful Post:
mamacat (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 07:28 AM   #4
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

I would let him go, dogs that are poorly socialized but the early years I think really need other dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 AM   #5
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like he really does need other dogs around and since you are not in a position to get one would consider the rehoming.Maybe you could arrange to go visit him from time to time

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C

Last edited by mamacat; 04-09-2017 at 10:55 AM.
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
knitlove (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #6
MrsHutch
Rose Garden

An Enneagram 7 type 1/2 ENTP

MrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond reputeMrsHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It seems like this is perfect for him, especially with you moving to somewhere that you know will be hard for him. I understand the emotional connection (we are having to rehome our dog of 3 years before we move overseas), but this seems to me like a case of "if you love him, let him go."
Missing three I will meet in Heaven (Feb 2012), (Apr 2016) & (Jun 2020)

"Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people don't shoot their husbands, they just don't." -Legally Blonde
MrsHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsHutch For This Useful Post:
bananacake (04-09-2017), BestLaidPlans (04-09-2017), knitlove (04-09-2017), squiddles (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
DolphinMemae
Rose Trellis

(me holding my first granddaughter, Clara Ruth

DolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond reputeDolphinMemae has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar situation with a dog we loved very, very dearly. An older man who had the room for her to run and who loved to take her out on adventures while we lived in his home moved away. I offered to let Princess go with him but he said he could never take my dog away from me; and I let it go at that. But Princess wasn't happy when he moved away. She loved us and was very loyal to us, but she would run away and romp in the places he used to take her every chance she got. Eventually she developed a liver condition and her life ended prematurely. It's my extreme love for her that makes me wonder at times if I really should have insisted that he take her. I will never know, but there remains a sad regret in my heart.
Ryan ,Married to his sweetheart, Sara
Kerith - PixieMama Married to her first love Eli
and Benjamin Married to his Precious Gabby
Memae to eleven wonderful grandchildren

DolphinMemae is offline   Reply With Quote