Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Mothering Thru the Years > Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Nurturing our Children (AP & Multi-age Parenting Topics) *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Attachment and Natural Parenting

Old 02-13-2018, 08:01 AM   #1
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute
Default school poetry contests

how do y'all deal with these contests? the ones that flood the school with entry forms, and if your kid is a "finalist" you have the "opportunity" to buy a $$$ book that is only available to "finalists." And just about every person that enters becomes a finalist, so it's really not an accomplishment. I don't want to disappoint my son, but I also don't want to shell out $40 for a book that will probably just sit on a shelf I fell for one of these things when I was a kid, it was cool and exciting at the time. As I got older I felt stupid for falling for it and bad that my parents spent $$$ on the books. I threw them away because it was depressing (and the books were ridiculously huge).
How do I not buy the book and explain these lame "contests" without hurting my son's feelings and hurting his desire to try to do things??

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Photographer at Grace and Gratitude by TLC
https://www.facebook.com/GraceandGra...TLC/?ref=br_rs
passthemanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #2
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: school poetry contests

Who makes money off this deal - some random company? The school? Both? I don't understand why the school would allow this?

If it's a fundraiser for the school, Id be tempted to bring up the PTO about doing away with such fundraisers. We don't have them anymore. Our PTO just asks parents to write checks. They give a suggested amount but you can give more, less or none and in the end we spend way less than any fundraiser (bc all the money goes directly to the PTO). We do still have a fundraising carnival though. But no selling of stuff. My sisters kids school did that too (stopped all fundraisers, they are all in college now). Fundraisers are definitely going away from the schools I all know of. Time for your school to get on board with this fantastic trend.

I have never heard of such a thing - this poetry contest. Not as child myself nor my children have never received such a form. Someone is allowing this into the school. So my thought would be to find out why and complain about stopping it.

As far as telling your son, I would tell him the truth. The book is not the budget at this time. Maybe set up a time to take ds out for ice cream for working hard on poetry and emphasize his hard work over this external accolades.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16

Last edited by twoplustwo; 02-13-2018 at 01:54 PM.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #3
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I might also look into Lulu and such. I'd have to look again to remember the names, but there are a couple of on-demand printers that can bind your writing into a book, plus the photo companies that offer photobooks...if you take a few photos for illustrations, you can enter the writing as captions basically, as a text box on a scrapbooking page.

I would show him how he could make a whole anthology to share with grandparents if he wants, for much, much cheaper. If he never gets around to it, that's okay, too.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-13-2018), Llee (02-16-2018), passthemanna (02-13-2018), twoplustwo (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
passthemanna
Rose Garden

"...to do justice,and to love kindness,and to walk humbly with your God..." Mi 6:8

passthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond reputepassthemanna has a reputation beyond repute

He loves making books, his sister too. I think that’s a great idea! It’s called appelley publishing rising stars. I don’t know who brings it into the school. I’m on the pto board and it’s not our deal! We are trying to move towards raffles and community based fundraising where everyone benefits and the school gets most of the profits.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
Llee (02-16-2018), Quiteria (02-13-2018), twoplustwo (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 04:10 PM   #5
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.lulu.com/create/books

https://photos3.walmart.com/about/ph...=Photo%20Books

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #6
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I'd explain that it's a fake contest, it's really just a self-publishing poetry book scam. Everyone who enters "wins" and gets their poem in a book for $40; no one except other entrants will ever see the book.

Who's Who Among American High School Students is also a scam (if that's still around). I refused to submit the request for personal data for my university alumni, too. I know they're hoping to sell alumni books. Anyone who went to university with me can find me on Facebook. No need for a book.

I'd see if there were any legit writing contests in your area. My local PBS station has one.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-20-2018), passthemanna (02-13-2018), Quiteria (02-13-2018), twoplustwo (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
passthemanna
Rose Garden

Lulu looks really cool! That might be good for their tubs of drawings I’ve kept . J really likes the Lulu book idea. I didn’t have the heart to tell him the poem book was a scam, just said “if we’re going to spend money we should have a book that is all yours!”

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passthemanna For This Useful Post:
Llee (02-16-2018), twoplustwo (02-14-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
MaybeGracie
Moderator in A Twinkle in Our Eyes, Cradled in Our Wombs, Gentle Discipline, Nurturing Our Children, and Let's Talk

MaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond reputeMaybeGracie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthemanna View Post
how do y'all deal with these contests? the ones that flood the school with entry forms, and if your kid is a "finalist" you have the "opportunity" to buy a $$$ book that is only available to "finalists." And just about every person that enters becomes a finalist, so it's really not an accomplishment. I don't want to disappoint my son, but I also don't want to shell out $40 for a book that will probably just sit on a shelf I fell for one of these things when I was a kid, it was cool and exciting at the time. As I got older I felt stupid for falling for it and bad that my parents spent $$$ on the books. I threw them away because it was depressing (and the books were ridiculously huge).
How do I not buy the book and explain these lame "contests" without hurting my son's feelings and hurting his desire to try to do things??
I did the exact same thing as a kid. I submitted a poem, it was "chosen" to be published, my parents bought the huge book, and it felt very cool. Now in hindsight it's just embarrassing. Pretty sure my parents still have the book though.

That's a hard thing to have to explain to an enthusiastic young writer, though. I find it so odd that the school permits those forms to be made available to the students; in my case, I think I saw an advertisement for the "contest" in a magazine. I think the best approach would be to explain how it's a scam, and then help him to find legitimate writing contests to submit his work to instead. That way he still feels encouraged in this area, and he learns to be a cautious consumer as well. The Lulu book of his own self-published poems is a great idea too!

Ezer Kenegdo to Isaac since 2007
Raising Jacob (16), Luke (14), Lily (11), Elizabeth (9), Clara (6), and Emily (3) in the knowledge and love of God

Blogging at The Hippie Housewife about attachment parenting, natural living, life as a Jesus-follower, and more, all tied together through our journey towards a more intentional life.
MaybeGracie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaybeGracie For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (02-15-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, just remembered I often see Black History Month writing contests in February. Your local children's librarian might know of one, too.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #10
JessicaTX
Rose Garden

JessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond reputeJessicaTX has a reputation beyond repute

Huh...my teacher entered a poem of mine in school and I "won" but my parents never bought the book. i also won puma shoes, a tshirt and tickets to a professional basketball game. I wonder if it was the same deal.
JessicaTX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JessicaTX For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2018, 06:54 AM   #11
passthemanna
Rose Garden

There are a few of these “contests “. 80-100% of people who enter “win” and then can purchase a book with all the poems for a ridiculous amount of money.

J- 12
R- 9
S- 6
Old 02-19-2018, 11:07 PM   #12
Thursday's Child
Seedling Rose

A Swede married to a Lebanese.

Thursday's Child will become famous soon enough

My son's poem was sent in to one by his 3rd grade teacher. I bought the book but it was only about $10 or so. Since the teacher did it I think it may have been more legit. I'm too lady to get out of bed and check the name. LOL
Our pastor had me email the poem to the church secretary who put it in the monthly newsletter. A lovely older gentleman at our church does calligraphy and did one for him of his poem. We framed it and keep it in the front room. That probably meant more than the book.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Children are the most delightful pledges of a loving marriage. They are the best wool on the sheep. - Martin Luther
Thursday's Child is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thursday's Child For This Useful Post:
passthemanna (02-20-2018), Quiteria (02-20-2018), twoplustwo (02-20-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 07:12 PM   #13
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I've never seen of one of these so no personal experience BUT my first thought is that this could be an excellent learning tool for your child! Scams in the guise of "contents" and "winning" are unfortunately a huge part of our entire culture and something he will run in to countless times over his lifetime. So using this situation as an opportunity to help him identify these himself will benefit him dramatically long term.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
MaybeGracie (02-20-2018), passthemanna (02-21-2018), Quiteria (02-20-2018), Soliloquy (02-27-2018), Thursday's Child (02-22-2018), twoplustwo (02-21-2018)