Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 11-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving meal

My brother and his family are moving into their own place. My mother asked me to come up with something to feed everyone helping them move. I would be feeding at least three grown men, two women and possibly a teenage girl. It has to be gluten, soy and seafood free.
Also, I have my high need nephew, my daughter's best friend along with my own children that day, so I can't do a lot of prep. I will be doing a Girl Scout meeting the night before and getting moving boxes for them the day before, so I need something fairly easy and very portable for me to take across town.
I am drawing a complete blank. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Moving meal

Pizza is the first thing that comes to mind. Obviously gluten, but is there a gluten free option that you can order?

Tacos? You could do the meat in a crock pot and just bring shells and other toppings for people to assemble their own. Side of nachos and salsa and you've got a full rounded meal.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Baked potato bar? You can do baked potatoes really easily in a crock pot (or easily in an oven too if that's easier). Bring some cheese, sour cream, chives, and anything else depending on how fancy you want to get.

Fresh veggies and dip on the side. Maybe some cut up fresh fruit. Nice well rounded and filling meal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (11-04-2016), Llee (11-04-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #3
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Pizza is the first thing that comes to mind. Obviously gluten, but is there a gluten free option that you can order?

Tacos? You could do the meat in a crock pot and just bring shells and other toppings for people to assemble their own. Side of nachos and salsa and you've got a full rounded meal.

---------- Post added at 11:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

Baked potato bar? You can do baked potatoes really easily in a crock pot (or easily in an oven too if that's easier). Bring some cheese, sour cream, chives, and anything else depending on how fancy you want to get.

Fresh veggies and dip on the side. Maybe some cut up fresh fruit. Nice well rounded and filling meal.
I need something a little lighter than the last two. The pizza idea would work since I need something that can be eaten with a paper towel on the go and then the paper towel is trashed. Sit down type meals are not going to work very well.

Old 11-03-2016, 04:27 PM   #4
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

What about those taco salad in a bag things? I've never had them, but my kids talk about them. You take a little bag of corn chips or nacho chips, crush them, add a spoonful of meat and whatever other toppings you like then eat out of the bag with a fork.

If you don't want to do the small bags of chips, you can do a big bag and have everyone assemble their salad in a sandwich size ziploc.

No plates. Use plastic forks and those can just be put in the trash.

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

How filling does it have to be? Can it just be a tie over? As in, could you just do some trays of finger food? Veggies? Cut up fruit? Cheese and meat slices? Bag of chips? Etc?
Old 11-03-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
rjy9343
Rose Garden

It needs to be pretty filling and the tacos in a bag could work well. They are really good and fairly easy.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:41 PM   #6
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Are the chips or corn tortillas soy free?
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:04 AM   #7
Indigo
Climbing Rose

Indigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to beholdIndigo is a splendid one to behold

When we moved a friend made us a big pot of sloppy joes, rolls and fresh veggies on the side, bottles of water, and cookies. That was great because as our friends who were helping us needed a break, they would come in grab a quick bite, then head out again. I realize this may not be the perfect meal for you, needing rolls - but I think something simple and hearty along these lines would work well.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:17 AM   #8
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Suggestions:

1. Oven fried or baked chicken pieces

2. Spaghetti (you could use disposable plates or bowls) Using rice or corn noodles

3. Shepard's pie with mashed potatoes on top.

4. Chuck wagon (beans, hamburger with a Carolina bar b que sauce and served over rice)

You could have a salad, or just chip on the side. Most things that are super easy would be requiring bread and that can be difficult with needing it to be soy and gluten free.

You could do a barbque roast or chicken and pull it and serve over rice or with potato salad on the side and those can be cooked ahead of time as you can fit it into your schedule.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #9
rjy9343
Rose Garden

The sloppy joes would be great. I have safe bread that would work for the ones that can't have soy or gluten. Chips and cookies are also very doable for this since again, I have safe ones for the ones that need them. I am also feeding people that are very leery of anything that could possibly be good for you, so that will work really well. I should have thought of that.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
mamacat (11-04-2016)
Old 11-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #10
bec28
Rose Garden

bec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond reputebec28 has a reputation beyond repute

You could also do pulled pork in a crockpot for sandwiches
staying at home and loving it! learning to be a more grace filled, gentle mama
bec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:29 AM   #11
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

We always did chilli and corn bread for things like this. Disposable bowls and utensils, sat in the croc pot all day, corn bread baked ahead.

Other option would be gf baked ziti. Again disposable utensils and bowls, gf pasta.

Also sloppy Joe's, croc pot sloppy Joe's.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #12
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the gluten free pizzas are usually expensive and small so smthng lie crockpot sloppy joes with choieof bread or rolls woul be really good

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjy9343 View Post
The sloppy joes would be great. I have safe bread that would work for the ones that can't have soy or gluten. Chips and cookies are also very doable for this since again, I have safe ones for the ones that need them. I am also feeding people that are very leery of anything that could possibly be good for you, so that will work really well. I should have thought of that.
If you use bar b q sauce in you sloppy joes check it for soy and gluten. There are some comersal ones that are soy and gluten free. But just to keep in mind.

I just did sloppy joes for 15 on Monday and it worked great.
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote