Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #1
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default small holes in t-shirts

I wasn't quite sure where to put this, but I have a recurring, very frustrating problem of finding small holes in my cotton shirts. The odd thing is that they are often in the same place, right in the middle, near the belly button/waist area. I'm so tired of finding holes in my shirts!!

I only seem to find the holes around that area, though I haven't fully inspected the shirts. No belts that they are getting caught on, not finding holes in other clothes to think it's something with the washer, no evidence of bugs or moths. I hang these shirts to dry, so nothing with the dryer. I still wear the shirts, but now that I'm working I feel like I need to wear shirts without holes, which sadly leaves me with very few options. What in the world could be going on?!

I should also add that I've found some random holes in ds' clothes too, though I'm not sure if it is connected. Nice brands like Carters or Gymboree, and all of the sudden one day there is a small hole. I don't think it is anything he is doing to put holes in his clothes.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: small holes in t-shirts

This has been happening to a few of my shirts as well recently.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Mine do that too. I think it is because I have a thick waist and I think it is from pants with a button or something underneath the shirt, plus I am short and sadly, my stomach is counter height and often brushes up against the kitchen counters when I am working in there.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I can think of is possibly Velcro causing it to happen in certain loads that dad's dress up stuff isnwashed with. But it's odd that it's the same spot. Well actually a pair of brand new shorts got all rubbed weird in the front zipper area as well.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

Mine do this too and I don't understand why

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I know you said you don't think it is washer related, but I'll throw this out as a possible idea.

When you wash items with zippers, are you zipping them up before putting in the wash? Things like jeans, or zip up sweatshirts? I found that the rough zippers can cause damage to other clothes so now I always zip and button everything up before throwing in the wash.

Seems it would affect more than just your shirts, but worth throwing out there.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by believer View Post
Mine do that too. I think it is because I have a thick waist and I think it is from pants with a button or something underneath the shirt, plus I am short and sadly, my stomach is counter height and often brushes up against the kitchen counters when I am working in there.
I think this is it. A group of moms and I were discussing this and we all get holes in the same spot on our shirts. We decided it was from rubbing against the kitchen counters all the time. Wear an apron, save a shirt.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (08-30-2014), believer (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I agree about counters. I think it happens more when I wear pants from Old Navy too
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #9
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatist View Post
Wear an apron, save a shirt.
Aprons are fantastic anyway. So good excuse to wear them.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Hopetobe (09-01-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #10
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Aprons are fantastic anyway. So good excuse to wear them.
I can wear one in the winter, but not in the summer. It is just too hot. It won't really cool off here until November.
We have two seasons - summer, and not summer. Not summer runs from Nov. until around April or May. The rest of the year - it is summer.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #11
2sunshines

Ah yes. I'm in Michigan. So we have two seasons. Winter. And winter with a bit of warmth. So aprons are useful year round. I have more than my share. I am in love with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
Punkie (09-02-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #12
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't noticed any rhyme or reason or pattern at all to the tiny holes in my family's t-shirts. They're even in the baby's t-shirts - for example, on the back of the one he's wearing now

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #13
milkdud
Rose Trellis

milkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond reputemilkdud has a reputation beyond repute

I found teeny, tiny bugs on my clothes that were eating holes.
Gobstopper 09/2009
Bit o' Honey 11/2012

11/2003 & 12/2011
milkdud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #14
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

Yeah, we've had moth larvae before that have eaten little holes in the clothes, but these are new clothes and we got rid of the moths a long time ago. Also, moths only ate the natural fibers, not the t-shirts, IIRC.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, ds' shirts are getting holes too, and some on the back of his shirts (so no wear near the kitchen counter! ). Interesting thought on zippers- I don't close them but can try that. I don't think dh is getting any holes, and the clothes are washed together, but I'm not sure he'd notice. I can try the aprons- that makes sense. I can see ds pulling at it all the time though, and it seems like it would be a pain to wear it all day with taking care of a 1 year old. I do have a couple that I like though.
No evidence of any bugs, but I know that they can do this. Appreciate the ideas!