Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #1
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ugh! Friend posted on FB she is using the Ferber method to sleep train her baby.

Baby is about 10 months.

I have to say something!
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
kiloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:30 PM   #2
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ugh! Friend posted on FB she is using the Ferber method to sleep train her baby.

I might say something like "yeah, it gets so exhausting sometimes with little ones. I ended up cosleeping rather than sleep training. let me know if you go this way instead and I'll share my favorite safety resources with you."
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (07-29-2019), CelticJourney (07-29-2019), everybody's mother (07-29-2019), kiloyd (07-28-2019), MercyInDisguise (08-15-2019), Singingmom (07-29-2019), twoplustwo (07-30-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:41 PM   #3
kiloyd
Rose Garden

kiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond reputekiloyd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ugh! Friend posted on FB she is using the Ferber method to sleep train her baby.

I said that I had some well meaning friends push me to do that when my youngest was about a year. That I fell asleep for 20 minutes outside his door and when I went in and got him he was still crying and he wrapped his arms around my neck and I told him I'd never leave him to cry alone again. That it went against my mother instincts.

Poor baby. Mom said she cried for 56 minutes.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (07-29-2019), everybody's mother (07-29-2019), Hermana Linda (07-28-2019), MariJo7 (07-31-2019), MercyInDisguise (08-15-2019), Singingmom (07-29-2019), Tasmanian Saint (08-11-2019), twoplustwo (07-30-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 07:41 PM   #4
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a good resource.
http://www.drmomma.org/2009/12/train...ld-go.html?m=1

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-29-2019), kiloyd (07-28-2019), MercyInDisguise (08-15-2019), Singingmom (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 08:31 PM   #5
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ugh! Friend posted on FB she is using the Ferber method to sleep train her baby.

Whatever you say, my experience has been that moms are usually more open to advice if it’s given in a private message instead of on their wall/status You probably already know this

It’s so sad to hear about our friends making decisions like that My best friend sleep trained her baby, and it was heartbreaking to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (07-29-2019), ECingMama (07-29-2019), everybody's mother (07-29-2019), kiloyd (07-29-2019), MercyInDisguise (08-15-2019), Singingmom (07-29-2019), twoplustwo (07-30-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 06:10 AM   #6
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

It has always been odd to me that most people find the silence of orphanages horrifying, yet do the same to their own child.
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (07-29-2019), derdsgirl (07-30-2019), everybody's mother (07-29-2019), kiloyd (07-29-2019), MaySunflowers (07-31-2019), MercyInDisguise (08-15-2019), SewingGreenMama (08-13-2019), Singingmom (07-29-2019), Soliloquy (07-30-2019), Tasmanian Saint (08-11-2019), twoplustwo (07-30-2019), Virginia (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 12:05 PM   #7
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I’m sorry. I haven’t really had any luck convincing people otherwise, but hopefully you will.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-29-2019), kiloyd (07-29-2019), MaySunflowers (07-31-2019), twoplustwo (07-30-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 01:20 PM   #8
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I guess I participate in the conversations hoping to just let them know there are options but mostly so others who aren't at that point yet will know there are options once they have babies who have night needs beyond social expectations.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (07-29-2019), everybody's mother (07-29-2019), kiloyd (07-29-2019), Singingmom (07-29-2019), Tasmanian Saint (08-11-2019), twoplustwo (07-30-2019), Virginia (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #9
kiloyd
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPies View Post
It has always been odd to me that most people find the silence of orphanages horrifying, yet do the same to their own child.
So true! Probably because their child gets love and cuddles during the daytime.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I’m sorry. I haven’t really had any luck convincing people otherwise, but hopefully you will.
I'm not a debater at all. So just put that paragraph about my experience. She had several others say something positive about it.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-31-2019), twoplustwo (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #10
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPies View Post
There is a great article about that, written by a couple that went to a foreign orphanage to pick up the child they were about to adopt. I tried to search for it but couldn't find it. Are you familiar with it? I thought it was called "the loudest silence" but that turned up a band or something . . .
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-31-2019), kiloyd (07-31-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #11
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote not working. . . I’m sorry. I haven’t really had any luck convincing people otherwise, but hopefully you will.

Maybe not directly . . .butno "one" person convinced to not CIO. No "one" person convinced us not to circumcise. Etc. Etc.

Just as no "one" person witnessed to me which eventually led me to be saved at age 30.

It's about cracks and culture.

On the flip side, not saying anything reinforces.

Now, I say that and I am an avid avoider of anything not keeping up with friends on facebook. But I don't check it daily and hide most of my friends due to time constraints.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (07-30-2019), ECingMama (08-11-2019), everybody's mother (07-31-2019), kiloyd (07-31-2019), rjy9343 (08-11-2019), Soliloquy (07-30-2019), Virginia (07-30-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 06:23 PM   #12
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Quote not working. . . I’m sorry. I haven’t really had any luck convincing people otherwise, but hopefully you will.

Maybe not directly . . .butno "one" person convinced to not CIO. No "one" person convinced us not to circumcise. Etc. Etc.

Just as no "one" person witnessed to me which eventually led me to be saved at age 30.

It's about cracks and culture.

On the flip side, not saying anything reinforces.

Now, I say that and I am an avid avoider of anything not keeping up with friends on facebook. But I don't check it daily and hide most of my friends due to time constraints.

That’s true. I just speak up for babies and kids and hope it helps someone.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (08-11-2019), everybody's mother (07-31-2019), kiloyd (07-31-2019), twoplustwo (07-30-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 06:49 AM   #13
MariJo7
Rose Trellis

MariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond reputeMariJo7 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
I said that I had some well meaning friends push me to do that when my youngest was about a year. That I fell asleep for 20 minutes outside his door and when I went in and got him he was still crying and he wrapped his arms around my neck and I told him I'd never leave him to cry alone again. That it went against my mother instincts.

Poor baby. Mom said she cried for 56 minutes.

What you said was good! It was right from your heart.
MariJo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MariJo7 For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-31-2019), kiloyd (07-31-2019), Virginia (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #14
kiloyd
Rose Garden

I unfollowed her so I didn't have to see the daily updates.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariJo7 View Post
What you said was good! It was right from your heart.
Thank you. I didn't want to say "don't do it, it's so sad for baby", but something from my experience.
dd1 18
dd2 16
ds2 10
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiloyd For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-31-2019), Virginia (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 11:59 AM   #15
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiloyd View Post
I unfollowed her so I didn't have to see the daily updates.

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

Thank you. I didn't want to say "don't do it, it's so sad for baby", but something from my experience.
Maybe if you check back in a few week s you’ll find she gave up. But not seeing daily updates seems smart.

I never thought of cio as like half the orphanage silence, but it makes sense, especially for those who ignore them for 12 hours- half their childhood!

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (07-31-2019), Hermana Linda (07-31-2019), kiloyd (08-01-2019), SewingGreenMama (08-13-2019), Virginia (07-31-2019)