Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Unprepared for Parenting (Ezzos, Pearls, Etc.) *Public* Support and information for those affected by the Ezzos, the Pearls, and other punitive and adversarial methods of child-rearing.
A public forum.
Before posting here, please read this sticky and keep guideline 23 in mind:

23. No posts harshly dissecting parenting moments of others since we desire to humbly cultivate a heart attitude of grace and not judgment towards other mamas. We all struggle at times as parents and have much to learn, and GCM's focus is to provide tools and information for each of us to parent more effectively. Posts voicing some frustration regarding choices made by others can be okay, but it needs to be within the overall context of seeking understanding or ideas for better responses in the future.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:49 AM   #1
NovelMama
Rose Garden

Our sweet family, 2017

NovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond reputeNovelMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Paul David Tripp?

Anyone know about his parenting advice? A friend just posted that she found a parenting video series by him that she really loves. Wasn’t sure if he’s connected to Ted Tripp and shared the same dangerous parenting beliefs or not.
Inspirational Women's Fiction author
Children's storybook author
Homeschool coach
NovelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #2
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paul David Tripp?

He’s more gracious. Don’t know if there is anything bad.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

Yeah, they're connected. Paul is Ted's brother, iirc. My old church did a parenting video series from Paul Tripp and I attended several to see what they were like. The basic philosophy and theology were completely the same as in Sheparding a Child's Heart. There was slightly less emphasis on spanking in that he did not go on and on with detailed instructions, but it was definitely an expected component of the child-rearing model.
When I discussed the material with others at the church, I did not mention spanking at all, since everyone there accepted it. What I did talk about was how focusing solely on the parents' authority distorts the parent-child relationship - kind of a connection before correction idea. I also shared how I believe the Holy Spirit is the one who changes people's hearts. (Honestly I didn't challenge it much because most people in that church had teens or grown children, and I was already being marginalized and on thin ice in that church anyway, so I didn't really think anyone would listen.)

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (10-05-2018), Quiteria (10-05-2018), Soliloquy (10-05-2018), tempus vernum (10-07-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #4
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

My mom found him really gracious (coming from Dobson-ish parenting). In particular, she really enjoyed Paul Tripp’s teen parenting book because it emphasized (in her view) that teenagers are not a lost cause, that relationships with teens *can* be good, etc. Given that her relationship with her parents was terrible when she was teen, it was helpful. From my perspecive my parents were actually really good parents of teenagers.

That being said, I have skimmed his teenage book since it meant so much to my mom. From a gentle parenting perspective it could seem punitive or authoritarian, and all of the advice that is good is already known by people who read regularly here. So I think Paul Tripp parenting info could be useful with a filter, but is likely not earth-shattering to Moms here.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (10-06-2018), kiloyd (10-08-2018), Soliloquy (10-08-2018), tempus vernum (10-07-2018)
Old 10-07-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

I came back to say, actually the video I saw on teens was pretty good - and I see someone else has already mentioned he has good things to say for the older crowd. So I amend my negative review to say that I would definitely avoid his material for the under-5 ages, but his perspective on teens is encouraging and does actually encourage connection.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (10-08-2018)