Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:15 PM   #1
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation
Default New Job Soreness

Last week I started as a cashier at a grocery store. My shifts are 4-6 hours long. I get a 15-20 min break which is the only time I get to sit and have a drink. By the time I make the 8 minute drive home, I can barely get out of the car b/c I am so sore and stiff. Then I sit through dinner and it just gets worse. Between the standing on bad flooring for so long plus the lifting of gallon jugs plus cases of beer and water...my poor body can't take it. I come home and pop two motrin, but it just takes the edge off. I wake at least once during the night in pain. I am over tired and sad/grumpy from pain. Is there anything I can do? I do try to stretch and move around instead of just standing in one place. I try to hydrate before and after my shift. I'm just tapped out on ideas and too tired to think much about it. Any help is appreciated.
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for Thia:
Quiteria (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #2
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Job Soreness

When I used to waitress, I found it really helpful to rotate between two different styles of very supportive shoes.

Work hard on posture and do gentle stretches reaching for your toes and breathing slow and deep. Oh, I used a chair pad massage thing a few years back when I was in college and it was a big help.

Epsom salt baths, or even a magnesium oil spray.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Llee (10-07-2016), OnAMission (10-08-2016), Quiteria (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #3
sweetpeasmommy
Rose Garden

sweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond reputesweetpeasmommy has a reputation beyond repute

If you can do stretches before and after work, as well as your days off it will help your body get more used to it. I find sitting after heavy activity prolongs the pain and even something like stopping at the store and walking around a bit rather than just driving straight home after a 10+ mile bike ride can really reduce the stiffness. And if I plop in a chair when I get home vs keep moving slowly I will be more stiff than if I slowly wind down.

If certain areas are hurting more, look up stretches for those. A heating pad can be helpful as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife to ISTJ DH 1997
Mom to one Sweet Boy 10/2004

sweetpeasmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeasmommy For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 12:26 AM   #4
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

I would seek a physical therapist. They have been invaluable for me on a few different occasions. It could be that certain muscles are too weak or inflexible. But, you need a professional to know which ones! They can tell you exactly what to do to actually help reduce the pain you get.

Sweet Pea-DD1, Jan 04, 1/4
Tiger Lily-DD2, Jan 06, 2/1
Buttercup-DD3, Feb 08, 2/4
Dandelion-DD4, Nov 10, 2/3
Honeysuckle-DD5 March 13, 2/4
And there is DH too, ISTJ, DYT 4/2, I think!
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
OnAMission (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 04:15 PM   #5
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Are you allowed to have a water bottle by you during your shift? It seems as if hydration might also help alleviate some of that.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
squiddles (10-14-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 11:31 PM   #6
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

Gentle movement helps a ton.

Compression socks make a huge difference for me when I have hours of standing at work. I like these: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...pression+socks

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

Oh and taking curcumin!
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FaithHopeLove For This Useful Post:
bananacake (10-10-2016), everybody's mother (10-09-2016), squiddles (10-14-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation

Thanks ladies. It seems like the truth of it is to suck it up buttercup. It has been a long, rough weekend, but once you are strapped into the roller coaster seat, there is no getting off.
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #8
OnAMission
Rose Trellis

Formerly kdhfly

OnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond reputeOnAMission has a reputation beyond repute

Using muscles in new ways or much more than they are used to will definitely lead to soreness, and unlike in a sport where you can ease into it, you are stuck doing your job the whole time.

Your body will adjust, and probably quicker than you think However, it would be good to look into the preventive things mentioned above. Be aware of your posture, have good shoes, gently stretch afterwards and do gentle movement afterwards. The problem could come over time if because of soreness you alter your posture and use your body in an inefficient way because you are trying to avoid using the muscles that are sore. Repetitive motion, especially poorly aligned repetitive motion, can lead to injuries. Ice can reduce inflammation and heat (Epsom salt baths!) can help relax aching muscles. Hopefully your body will adjust quickly
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OnAMission For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (10-09-2016), Llee (10-10-2016), MegMarch (10-10-2016)
Old 10-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #9
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Are you standing in one spot for a long time? Or do you get to do some walking? Try to move if you can. If you can take a quick walk around the store, or even just shifting weight between feet, marching in place when you have a sec, etc.

Also I would ask your coworkers.

Arnica could help, too.

And some of it will just be time and your body adjusting to it.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:19 AM   #10
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

For me, as a teacher, having really good shoes is the key to avoiding the soreness that comes spending a lot of time standing and walking around. The days I wear shoes that are cute but not good, my whole body aches after. Having a hot bath with epsom salts has also been really good about targeting potential aches and pains before they have a chance to really start.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
SansSouci (10-14-2016)
Old 10-10-2016, 05:23 AM   #11
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

I would not say to suck it up. I believe in listening to your body with regard to pain. It probably won't get better on its own.
Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Forest For This Useful Post:
everybody's mother (10-11-2016), Llee (10-10-2016), SansSouci (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 05:51 AM   #12
SansSouci
Rose Garden

SansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond reputeSansSouci has a reputation beyond repute

This has got to be something your employer is aware of. Surely they could provide cushioned mats to stand on, and other advice.

I sometimes shop at Wegmans, and I notice their cashiers have a poster at the cash register with stretches they're supposed to do every 15-30 min or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk
DS 12 y/o GF/CF/etc. & Recovering from Autism

I Juice Plus+ and sharing it with others. Fruits & veggies in a capsule or soft-chew!
SansSouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #13
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

How are you doing this week?

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote