Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:23 AM   #1
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default When to keep your child home????

Dd was invited to go swimming (south texas) at a friend's house today but I declined the invitation because she has symptoms of a cold. I'm pretty sure it isn't allergies because she takes allergy medicine every night. She has had the symptoms for almost a week. It started out just sneezing and runny stuffy nose. She seemed better yesterday but this morning her nose was runny and stuffy again and she was coughing. The cough went away about an hour or two after waking, but her nose is still stuffy. She never had a fever. Anyways, I said all that to ask if it were you would you let her go? Also if you were the friend's parent would you want her to come over like that? FYI she is 10 and friend is 10 so no babies or toddlers in the house.
rdsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
joyinthejourney (11-03-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When to keep your child home????

I might check with your friend and see if she is comfortable having her over

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
MamaRachel
Rose Bouquet

MamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to beholdMamaRachel is a splendid one to behold

I would check too; that's what I usually do when my kids seem like they are coming down with something but don't have strong symptoms. If the other parent doesn't mind then we go.

married to J since 2010

E ~ 8.5 yr
A ~ 7 yr
C ~ 4 yr
B ~ 7months
MamaRachel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MamaRachel For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

rdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond reputerdsmommy has a reputation beyond repute

I sent her a text earlier that was sort of open ended. I told her dd' s symptoms and said I thought we should stay home. I didn't know if it was appropriate to ask her outright, but I tried to leave it open so she could let me know if she would be ok with it. She just tested back that we could try getting together when she's better, so we aren't going today. I just wanted opinions for future reference.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rdsmommy For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-20-2016), mamacat (10-20-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 12:47 PM   #5
november
Rose Trellis

november has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond reputenovember has a reputation beyond repute

I would not send my child on an outing like that w/ friends if she was sick. I hate when people expose my kids to illness, especially when it comes to sinus/airway stuff (coughing,congestion) because my kid is highly susceptible to pneumonia and that really scares me. I always figure I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for someone else's kids getting sick so I ere on the side of caution. I am probably a little too cautious, but I'm ok with that, I just wish everyone would extend the same courtesy. At the very least, I agree that asking is best prior so you know for sure.

Married to the love of my life
Mama to (7) & (2)

Save
november is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to november For This Useful Post:
rdsmommy (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 02:09 PM   #6
rdsmommy
Rose Trellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by november View Post
I would not send my child on an outing like that w/ friends if she was sick. I hate when people expose my kids to illness, especially when it comes to sinus/airway stuff (coughing,congestion) because my kid is highly susceptible to pneumonia and that really scares me. I always figure I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for someone else's kids getting sick so I ere on the side of caution. I am probably a little too cautious, but I'm ok with that, I just wish everyone would extend the same courtesy. At the very least, I agree that asking is best prior so you know for sure.
That is how I felt, but then I know people send their kids to school like that so I started second guessing myself. I also kinda felt bad because this is a new friend and the last time she invited her we couldn't go because we were going out of town. I didn't want them to think we were making excuses not to come and dd was upset too.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Asking is always the safest bet. There is SUCH a wide variance on thoughts on this, which is precisely why you see such a wide variance from other parents around you. I think you handled it perfectly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
bananacake (10-23-2016), rdsmommy (10-21-2016)
Old 10-21-2016, 11:18 PM   #8
DahliaRW
Rose Garden

DahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond reputeDahliaRW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsmommy View Post
That is how I felt, but then I know people send their kids to school like that so I started second guessing myself. I also kinda felt bad because this is a new friend and the last time she invited her we couldn't go because we were going out of town. I didn't want them to think we were making excuses not to come and dd was upset too.
If it's a cold with no fever and no (persistent) cough, I have no problem with them going to school. I'm a teacher, and if kids with colds were kept home they'd be way behind academically. I have one such child in my class this year. 35 days of school so far and she's missed 16!

For other people's houses with mild symptoms, I ask.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Llee (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 01:51 AM   #9
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
If it's a cold with no fever and no (persistent) cough, I have no problem with them going to school. I'm a teacher, and if kids with colds were kept home they'd be way behind academically.
Yea, school is a different category than a playdate with friends. My state just dramatically tightened up the truancy policy (which is a whole nother tangent because I am not impressed) which makes absences from school even more difficult. Not to mention many parents don't have alternative child care options if a child stays home, so lots of times kids are at school with lesser sicknesses...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
CelticJourney (10-22-2016), DahliaRW (10-23-2016), november (10-22-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 08:26 PM   #10
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

I always ask the other parent because you just never know. I know some parents don't mind at all having their kids around other kids who are coming down with this or that, but maybe they might have that big vacation coming up and they don't want to risk it "this time."

So I go by my kid first - do they feel great except for being a little gunky? OK, then step 2 is to run it by the other parent. "Hey, Kitten has a sore throat and is a little gunky today. Just wanted to let you know. We are fine for a playdate but we'll leave it up to your comfort level if you want to be around us today. We totally get it if you'd like to reschedule! "

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (10-23-2016), rdsmommy (10-22-2016)