Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > General Category > Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Let's Talk (Chit Chat that Doesn't Fit Elsewhere) *Public* A public forum.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute
Default What little thing(s) brought you Shimmers of Joy during quarantine?

I think we all can agree that so far 2020 has been tough.

What little thing(s) brought out glimmers of joy in your life to make you smile?

This might not bring you the same feeling, but for me, Starbucks was my little oasis of smile and just a place to unwind and have a treat. Our Starbucks closed very early on in the quarantine and even now, you can't go there to sit.

I bought a battery operated Milk Frother from Amazon (since I am not going out) and from a tip on Delanga coffee here on GCM, I have pretty much been able to make myself a coffee treat and I smile every time I use it. (I don't need to go out, I can have more frequent treats for less cost. ) This morning, I used it with my Half and Half and have a pretty good Latte substitute instead of just a plain hot coffee with cream.

We have not been able to get our ice maker hooked up to the sink since we got it in the early part of this year, but I bought some ice trays that have lids so I don't spill the water all over the floor putting it in the new on the bottom freezer drawer.

Those are simple things that cost me about $20, but I get a daily smile when I use them.

I have ordered new yarn and normally that would make me grin from ear to ear, but due to the quarantine and shut downs, it has been sitting somewhere in customs for over a month and I look to see if the postman brings it every day.............. when it doesn't come, I go make a cold coffee.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-09-2020), hollybells (06-11-2020), Llee (06-11-2020), MegMarch (06-11-2020), Quiteria (06-11-2020), SewingGreenMama (06-09-2020), Singingmom (06-10-2020), Virginia (06-11-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What little thing(s) brought you Shimmers of Joy during quarantine?

I had my son 4 days after our state shut down. I was able to move in with my mom. We put the money into buying some major bulk food like I've been wanting to for years. When you buy gluten free flour in 50lb bags you can get it for just over a dollar a pound rather then $5 a pound from the store.
I created the perfect edible cookie dough recipe. And I'm eating too much of it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
hollybells (06-11-2020), knitlove (06-09-2020), Llee (06-11-2020), Maedchen (06-09-2020), MegMarch (06-11-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 09:44 AM   #3
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingGreenMama View Post
I had my son 4 days after our state shut down. I was able to move in with my mom. We put the money into buying some major bulk food like I've been wanting to for years. When you buy gluten free flour in 50lb bags you can get it for just over a dollar a pound rather then $5 a pound from the store.
I created the perfect edible cookie dough recipe. And I'm eating too much of it.

What are the ingredients in the GF flour mix?
and... where did you find it?

I have to usually make up my own to avoid corn. It is pretty expensive here. I do order online.

Congratulations on the new little one! That is a scary thing to consider having to give birth in the middle of a pandemic. I am glad you all are healthy and recovered.
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #4
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewingGreenMama View Post

How do you store it? I have been looking at this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
SewingGreenMama
Rose Trellis

Deuteronomy 11:19

SewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond reputeSewingGreenMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
What are the ingredients in the GF flour mix?

and... where did you find it?

I have to usually make up my own to avoid corn. It is pretty expensive here. I do order online.

Congratulations on the new little one! That is a scary thing to consider having to give birth in the middle of a pandemic. I am glad you all are healthy and recovered.
Thank you, I would have been terrified if I didn't already plan a home birth.
I didn't buy a mix. I use buckwheat flour, in spite of it's name it is gf and almost s perfect sub. I use it almost exclusively in my baking.
I buy it from a local Amish market. You can get it from Bread Becker's, shipping is insane so you'll want to find a local co-op to share shipping costs with.

---------- Post added at 01:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
How do you store it? I have been looking at this.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I bought 3, 5, and 7 gallon food grade buckets and gamma lids off Amazon

"If punishment were necessarily reformative, and able to cure us all of those 'sins we have a mind to,' why, the world would be a very good world;" -Charlotte Mason, Parents and Children pg. 172

W&C 8/4/06; G 15yo , M 11yo , S 8/29/13 , V 8yo , Baby 2yo
SewingGreenMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SewingGreenMama For This Useful Post:
knitlove (06-09-2020), Llee (06-11-2020), Maedchen (06-09-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 03:55 AM   #6
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

My monsoon flowers bloomed early, the lychees are wonderful this year and watching the sunset up on the roof and counting the birds have been the highlights of the last month.

Note: We've been in quarantine for more than a month but that seems like years ago. I can't remember any highlights before mid-May.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to arelyn For This Useful Post:
hollybells (06-11-2020), Llee (06-11-2020), Maedchen (06-11-2020), MegMarch (06-11-2020), SewingGreenMama (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 04:17 AM   #7
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

My house is the cleanest/most decluttered it has EVER been.

The joy of taking DD1 to the playground and then to get ice cream... her whole face lights up!

Being able to snuggle my baby and see her laugh and giggle and learn to roll over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:
Llee (06-11-2020), Maedchen (06-11-2020), MegMarch (06-11-2020), SewingGreenMama (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 06:53 AM   #8
The Tickle Momster
Rose Garden

previously mlrowley

The Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond reputeThe Tickle Momster has a reputation beyond repute

Walking nearby trails & listening to my kids discuss books.

Really working to maintain & build friendships as we are isolated. One newish friend has become berry dear to me.

Having the extra time with my adult dd home. She's able to spend time with her siblings she would bot have had otherwise.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

wife to Tom ('95)
Momma to:
DD (A) 21 and her DH (YM) 21
DS (T) 19
DD (C) 17
'07
DS (N) 14
Save
Save
The Tickle Momster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Tickle Momster For This Useful Post:
hollybells (06-11-2020), Llee (06-11-2020), Maedchen (06-11-2020), MegMarch (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
hollybells
Deactivated

hollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond reputehollybells has a reputation beyond repute

Dinner as a family has been one of the things I've been so grateful for during all of this. Prior to all of this, our older two (dd17 and ds20) were often working (both), in class (20 y/o in college) or with friends (both) or ds's gf.

And I so agree with The Tickle Momster - I've looked at the extra time ds8 has had with his older siblings and see what a gift that has been.

We've created a peaceful space in our backyard and took money we won't be using for a trip / day trips this summer to buy *nice* furniture and a gas fire table. We have never purchased anything like this - our prior decor was fine but consisted of plastic adirondack chairs and a small metal fire pit. With a burn ban in effect, that wasn't likely to be usable. We've been enjoying evenings with various combinations of us (ds20 gets up between 2 - 3 AM! for work so he goes to bed early), also knowing under normal circumstances, it would likely just be dh, ds8 and me hanging out.

While we are all missing life outside of our home to varying degrees, I remind myself of the blessing we have of extra time together. I've been finishing the Life Giving Home (Sally Clarkson) and the companion book and that's fit really well with where I am at the moment.
hollybells is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hollybells For This Useful Post:
Llee (06-11-2020), Maedchen (06-11-2020), MegMarch (06-11-2020), The Tickle Momster (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 10:57 AM   #10
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I have loved being able to just be home With no pressure to be somewhere else. I have LOVED not having to worry about someone knocking on the door. I have always wanted contactless delivery and I hope that stays.

We built a dance floor for dd so she could still dance and she uses it every day.

I trained my rabbits to come when called.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
hollybells (06-11-2020), Llee (06-11-2020), Maedchen (06-11-2020), MegMarch (06-11-2020), SewingGreenMama (06-11-2020), The Tickle Momster (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #11
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I have felt very loved by friends reaching out.

We used some of the stimulus money to make our backyard nicer. I got deck tiles (plastic snap in place squares basically) since we haven't got the money to redo the deck and it was too rough to use. Then added a picnic table and umbrella and large deck box for kid toys. It's made things look so much nicer and more inviting.

I have barely worn a bra and that is worth celebrating!

I got to mow once a week while it was still not terribly hot. It's my favorite chore and I listen to podcasts and it's just nice. And now that it's oppressively hot, I have found a teenage who will do it for me.

A mom group I'm in has started doing Wine Fairy gifts. Basically you ding dong ditch anyone in the group and leave them a little treat. It's typically got some wine or coffee but also general gifty stuff. It feels so, so nice to have someone drop off a surprise and is so fun to pick something out for someone.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
hollybells (06-11-2020), Maedchen (06-11-2020), SewingGreenMama (06-11-2020)
Old 06-11-2020, 08:57 PM   #12
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute

Getting my son caught up on algebra

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
Maedchen (06-12-2020), ViolaMum (06-14-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 07:36 AM   #13
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Creating a living space in our backyard has been the highlight.

Family dinners were wonderful. Starting to miss these again as my girls have gone back to work.

My house getting organized from top to bottom!

Having the time to pay attention to the birds and creatures and green growing things in the yard. I haven't had a nice slow spring to enjoy these simple things in many years.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Maedchen (06-12-2020)