Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 01-11-2018, 01:07 PM   #1
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cough with TONS of mucous

We are all sick with a nasty cough and a ton of thick thick mucous (no fever, no cold symptoms). We have tried everything I can think of and nothing is helping. DS2 is throwing up during coughing fits multiple times a day and during the night so we even went to the doctor. She gave us antibiotics, super strong expectorant and something to open up his lungs but nothing has changed. We are so frustrated!

Things we tried:
-steam
-more fresh air
-less fresh air
-sleeping elevated
-honey
-honey ginger tea
-cough drops
-clapping on back
-gaufenesin
-ayurvedic cough syrup
-and of course the meds mentioned previously

Does anyone have any ideas?

Note: We live in a small Asian city so we probably can't get special brands or Western herbs but put those ideas out there anyway. Everyday there seems to be something new available.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cough with TONS of mucous

Maybe not available in Asia nut:

Chestal
Rosemary essential oil to breathe in steam

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #3
Love_Is_Patient
Rose Trellis

Love_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond reputeLove_Is_Patient has a reputation beyond repute

Did they give you a mucolytic along with the expectorant? The mucolytic is for thinning the mucus.

Also, large doses of vitamin C.
Quiteria (01-13-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

I would try and order the liposomal vitamin C

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #5
camperjen
Rose Trellis

i love life!

camperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure it's not pertussis? Thick, clear mucous with coughing, lots of vomiting with coughs. I don't know the age of your kids, but it's possible to have whooping cough without the whoop (my then-4yo didn't have a whoop while my 2yo would start turning blue once every 2-3 days.

If it's pertussis, high, high doses of vitamin C is recommended (check online for dosage instructions). A Z-pack type of antibiotic will kill the virus in you so it's not contagious, but it doesn't really change the after-effects of the virus which last for months.
camperjen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camperjen For This Useful Post:
mamacat (01-13-2018)
Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 AM   #6
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

albuterol?

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #7
arelyn
Rose Trellis

Soli deo Gloria

arelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond reputearelyn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by camperjen View Post
Are you sure it's not pertussis? Thick, clear mucous with coughing, lots of vomiting with coughs. I don't know the age of your kids, but it's possible to have whooping cough without the whoop (my then-4yo didn't have a whoop while my 2yo would start turning blue once every 2-3 days.

If it's pertussis, high, high doses of vitamin C is recommended (check online for dosage instructions). A Z-pack type of antibiotic will kill the virus in you so it's not contagious, but it doesn't really change the after-effects of the virus which last for months.
It might be. It only lasted in DH for about 2 months though...assuming this is what he had. The Dr did give us azithromycin but didn't tell me what she thought the problem was. Local Drs usually don't. She said if it didn't get better we could bring him in for nebulizer (sp?) treatments but then her mother went into critical condition and the office was closed. It might be open now but his coughing fits are so sporadic. For two nights now he's been able to get through the night without throwing up so we are really happy about that. He is still coughing all the time and vomiting phlegm a few times a day. Right now it's more annoying and much less scary. Still I'll be really happy once this stops.

And the expectorant she gave us has bromohexine hydrochloride in it which I think is a mucolytic. It seems to do nothing though.

arelyn
World traveling mama to my star my sunshine and the monsoon baby
Wife to my crazy ethnomusicologist

This road that we travel, may it be the straight and narrow. God give us peace and grace from you all the day through.

Last edited by arelyn; 01-17-2018 at 10:31 AM.
arelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says they are praying for arelyn:
Quiteria (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Pertussis used to be called the 100 day cough.When my dd had it it got less and less and less intense rather than 100 days of the intense kind. Vomiting on musous gradually stopped and then it got to a point where she would hve days of no coughing.Like that

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #9
camperjen
Rose Trellis

i love life!

camperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond reputecamperjen has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacat View Post
Pertussis used to be called the 100 day cough.When my dd had it it got less and less and less intense rather than 100 days of the intense kind. Vomiting on musous gradually stopped and then it got to a point where she would hve days of no coughing.Like that
Yes, definitely this was our experience with pertussis as well.
camperjen is offline   Reply With Quote