Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:51 PM   #31
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making Do

Charla try fried cornmeal mush! We ate it growing up. Basically you make cornmeal hot cereal but you pour it into a loaf pan and let it cook over night. The next day it is sliceable and you just give it a quick fry in a frying pan and serve with syrup or honey or fruit.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
charla (03-23-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 08:59 PM   #32
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother of Sons View Post
Charla try fried cornmeal mush! We ate it growing up. Basically you make cornmeal hot cereal but you pour it into a loaf pan and let it cook over night. The next day it is sliceable and you just give it a quick fry in a frying pan and serve with syrup or honey or fruit.
How is this different than polenta? This is very much how I make polenta.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:31 PM   #33
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by knitlove View Post
How is this different than polenta? This is very much how I make polenta.

Polenta isn’t something I’m familiar with so I googled. It’s essentially the same except polenta is made from coarser grind and takes longer to cook. It’s usually served savory. Corn meal mush is silkier, cooks quickly and is usually served as a Sweet breakfast.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
charla (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 12:53 AM   #34
Vicki_T
Rose Garden

Vicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond reputeVicki_T has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

What do you call ground up corn that looks like this?

Umm, I'm not sure Maybe corn meal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolaMum View Post
British cornflour = US cornstarch

(I read a lot of International cookbooks and watch FAR too much cooking TV. )

Vicki, what other flours do you have on hand?
Plain and self raising white flours, and strong white and whole meal bread flours. Just not much of each.

Thank you for all the recipe ideas!
Vicki_T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vicki_T For This Useful Post:
knitlove (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 09:44 AM   #35
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My corn bread recipe
1c corn meal
1/4 c flour
1 1/2 tea spoon baking powder
1 egg
1/2 c milk
1/4 c of bacon drippings and/or butter melted

Mix together dry Ingredients before adding wet.

Cook at 425 foe 15 to 20 min in a size 5 cast iron skillet

What do you call ground up corn that looks like this?

I call that corn meal!
Old 03-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #36
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
I call that corn meal!
I grew up calling it corn meal in Texas and could get doffrnet levels of courseness but when I moved to Vermont things were labeled as corn flour, a fine grind, and polenta as course grind.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:22 PM   #37
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I love this thread! Thanks for starting it (and sorry that I'm SUPER late to the game! ).

Subbing
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
twoplustwo (03-24-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 02:31 PM   #38
JoannaV
Rose Trellis

JoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond reputeJoannaV has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering about using spaghetti and baked beans together...googled and there were actual recipes. So we did that the other day!

DH (ISFP) 07/09
DS1 01/12
DS2 06/14
DD1 01/16
JoannaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:00 PM   #39
MegMarch
Rose Garden

MegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond reputeMegMarch has a reputation beyond repute

I have my kids do cereal in yogurt rather than milk. They throw away or spill a lot of cereal milk but will finish up yogurt. I also add MCT oil and probiotic powder and sometimes chia seeds or hemp hearts as a boost.

When my kids leave fruit half-eaten, I trim and freeze for a smoothie the next day.

Sprinkles or chocolate chips are great to get buy-in on toast with PB, oatmeal, etc.

My husband will pretty much eat any leftovers if I put them on rice and melt cheese on top. Or in a calzone.

My kids are still pretty little and I can sometimes get them to try something new if we "happen" to see a show or read a book where characters eat something.
MegMarch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MegMarch For This Useful Post:
Laurlor (03-23-2020), Singingmom (03-23-2020), twoplustwo (03-24-2020), Vicki_T (03-26-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 05:37 AM   #40
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I realised there are still parsnips in our veggie draw from the 20p Aldi deal at Christmas

So, parsnip and apple soup for lunch

I can't stand parsnips but for some reason quite like parsnip and apple soup

Isabel
Mama to BB, 13
S, 4
T, 2
And Miss A 27/3/2020

Always missing my 5 9/10-1/12
My new venture! www.facebook.com/dizzyknits

Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
Llee (03-24-2020), Maedchen (03-24-2020), MegMarch (03-24-2020), twoplustwo (03-24-2020), Vicki_T (03-26-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 07:13 AM   #41
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I am just amazed but the knowledge and talent on this board. That is all I have to add to this thread.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (03-31-2020), simplegirl (03-24-2020), Singingmom (03-24-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 08:17 AM   #42
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maedchen View Post
Charla, if you can do chickpeas and have those in the can, save the liquid. It can be added to baking products as egg whites. It can be whipped. (There are lots of videos using the liquid faba (I think that is what they call it) It can even be whipped into a topping similar to meringue cookies)

If you do not have the canned for ease, you can soak and rinse and then cook chick peas and save the liquid in the fridge to use.

You can also use flax meal with water as an egg sub in baking..........just note that you will not get the general height you are used to with eggs.

At least it is edible and your taste buds do adjust when you are gluten free.

When I went to the India market, the lady informed me that the gram flour (which I was concerned about) is ground lentils.

You can also find chickpea flour.......if nothing else you could make Falafel that is safe.

You can use the above to make a patty for a sandwich.

She also told me to get water chestnut flour. It is one of their fasting approved foods....... you boil 1 potato and mash it and add water chestnut a little along to make a dough that you press out and can cook in a tiny oil amt to fry similar to a tortilla. Limited ingredients (which I am sure you could do with most any flour and the potato) I prob. would add a tiny pinch of salt just to be okay with my western tastebuds.

Some people may dump the liquids out of canned goods, but that can be drained and used as a soup base starter.

If you have instant potato flakes, I add an egg to the mashed potato and seasoning, I fry those in small patties. (you could add onion or peas......whatever you have that you like the taste of. Add some nutritional yeast for added vitamins.) Sometimes that is all my husband and I have for a meal at night.

I take a 5 oz can of tuna and add 2 heels of bread crumbs, 1 egg, and I add chia, hemp seeds and nutritional yeast and no more than 1/3 cup bisquick/flour............ I make patties and fry those in a small amount of oil (just enough to keep it from sticking) We then make a sandwich or eat it as a meat with veggie side. We make 2 meals off of the patties. So it should cover a family of 4 for 1 meal. (You could do that with tuna if you like tuna patties to make it go further)....... If you can sneak onion or peas or even grated carrot, it adds to the food value.
How does the chickpea water work as an egg sub in cookies? Any experience with that?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Vicki_T (03-26-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #43
knitlove
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
How does the chickpea water work as an egg sub in cookies? Any experience with that?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
It gets all gelatinous line flax mixture does. I haven't ever made cookies with it

Old 03-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #44
Maedchen
Rose Trellis

Maedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond reputeMaedchen has a reputation beyond repute

My nephew has used the chickepea faba in cookies and they looked like a slightly different consistency and color, but they enjoyed them. He also uses it in other baking they made meringues from it by whipping it into a stiffer foam similar to egg whites.

There are some youtube videos you can watch that show you how and what the outcome is like. (We still eat a lot of eggs, but I may soon be doing the subs.)

---------- Post added at 01:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 PM ----------

For those that need a refresher on how to make their own plant based milk for baking (or if you are used to the thinner consistency, milk for your cereal) here is the link to a web page for how to make the 'milk'. In case you can't purchase any locally.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/d...r-own-oat-milk

I can't post pictures here any longer, but I have a chart of egg subs.......maybe I can find a web page link with the amounts and come back and update.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

I found a link on a webpage for the quick chart of egg substitutes. You will have to scroll a little bit to reach the chart. (I don't know how to 'fix' that)

Just remember in baking.......subbing 2 eggs seems to work okay. So if you are trying to bake a 3 egg cake or more, it isn't going to work and will be flat. Think a flat Angel Food Cake.

It still will be slightly different, but it is workable for casseroles and biscuit type things.

https://www.eatbydate.com/egg-substitutions/
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maedchen For This Useful Post:
charla (03-24-2020), domesticzookeeper (03-24-2020), MegMarch (03-24-2020), Quiteria (03-31-2020), Vicki_T (03-26-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #45
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

In baked goods such as muffins and cakes, seltzer, soda, or any bubbly drink can sub for eggs, too.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
charla (03-24-2020), Lady Grey (03-25-2020), Singingmom (03-24-2020), Vicki_T (03-26-2020)