Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public* > Gardening *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gardening *Public* A public forum.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 PM   #1
ShowersofBlessings
Rose Bouquet

ShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really nice
Default Questions about growing lettuce

What can you tell me about growing lettuce? I know it doesn't like too much heat and that is about it. How much lettuce does a typical plant yield? Can I grow it in pots? How much space does it need? Thanks.
Alana 2005 *God's blessing of Grace*
Matthew 2008 *God's blessing of Joy*
David 2010 *God's blessing of Love*

Elysha 2012 *God's blessing of Faith*
Caleb 2014 *God's blessing of Peace*
Olivia 2016*God's blessing of Kindness*
And
Benjamin 2020 *God's blessing of Patience*
ShowersofBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ShowersofBlessings For This Useful Post:
flowermama (04-14-2014)
Old 04-13-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about growing lettuce

Lettuce likes really cool weather. It's well suited to container gardening. In theory, each plant yields one head of lettuce. However, some people prefer to just pick a few leaves off of each plant when harvesting, rather than waiting for an entire head to form. I find that the plants bolt before actually forming a head, so I just pick leaves.

There are a huge number of lettuce varieties. I'm growing a Tom Thumb variety this year which is supposed to need very little space. Other plants require more space. The back of the seed packet should tell you how much space it needs.

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
flowermama (04-14-2014), ShowersofBlessings (04-14-2014), StoryOfGrace (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 12:16 AM   #3
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Hangin' on for dear life!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

We prefer baby spinach and leaf lettuce here. Mostly leaf lettuce (butterhead or buttercrunch....yum!) It does not need a lot of room, and you can cut the leaves and it will continue to grow. How much you get depends on the space you give it. I have found that I can extend the growing season for lettuce if I place it in an area that gets morning sun and shade from noon on. If grown in containers, you could move it inside during the hottest part of the summer and probably keep it going all summer long. Once it bolts, it's done.

Single Momma to LegoCraft May 2005
ReedleBeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
flowermama (04-14-2014), Johns_Gal (04-14-2014), StoryOfGrace (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
flowermama
Owner/Founder of GCM
Administrator

Run with endurance the race that is set before you. . . Heb. 12:1

flowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond reputeflowermama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad you asked! Reading this makes me definitely want to try growing lettuce this year. I love spinach. Maybe I could try that, too. I'd like to have kale, too. I wonder if that is hard to grow.

Okay, I have a question. . . what is bolting?

Vegan mom to my vegan kiddos DD1 (24), DS1 (21), DD2 (18), and DS2 (15)
And wife to my gentle DH for 26 years and counting

Instagram: gentleveganrunner
gentlechristianmothers
flowermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:48 AM   #5
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

ReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond reputeReedleBeetle has a reputation beyond repute

Bolting is when lettuces go to seed. It does NOT taste good at that point. It usually happens when the heat of the day increases as you get near mid summer. I typically do 2 seasons of crops on these. A spring and a fall. So, spring lettuce is usually done (here) around mid-late June. The fall crop would go in early Aug. Lettuce that matures in the colder temps is SOOOOO good! Also, if you always cut in the earlier part of the day, your leaves will taste sweeter.

I have never tried to grow kale. I have seen seeds for it. I'm certain it wouldn't be any harder, although, it might be getting a bit late in the season to start that. You could grab seeds while they are in the stores though and start it in Aug. and have a fall crop! Make sure your soil is very loose (I usually mix in peat moss and some compost/humus) and then sprinkle the seeds on and lightly cover with soil.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
Blue-EyedLady (04-14-2014), cro (04-18-2014), flowermama (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
doubleblessings
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Can I have this dance?

doubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond reputedoubleblessings has a reputation beyond repute

Yes to what they said. Although here in ga, my spring crop is usually done before june and i have never gotten a good head. Also, most of ours doesn't keep well. We pick it shortly before we will eat it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doubleblessings For This Useful Post:
flowermama (04-14-2014), StoryOfGrace (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Oh, yes, I pick the day of eating. Isaac will grab snacks from the lettuce bed when he is outside playing too.

The Following User Says Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
flowermama (04-15-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
ShowersofBlessings
Rose Bouquet

ShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really niceShowersofBlessings is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowermama View Post
I'm so glad you asked! Reading this makes me definitely want to try growing lettuce this year. I love spinach. Maybe I could try that, too. I'd like to have kale, too. I wonder if that is hard to grow.

Okay, I have a question. . . what is bolting?
I have never grown Kale. But apparently, it grows well in our area. I took a tour of a personal garden recently and she still has Kale growing. She planted it last year and it has grown all through the summer and winter except for about six weeks in the coldest part of the year. She only has to plant it once a year and then can eat Kale almost all year long.

I am interested in the leaf lettuce. So I was wondering if it would be worth it to buy the plants, bit it sounds like maybe not. They are on sale for $1.99 this week. But if I can only get one head/bunch, then it is much cheaper just to buy the lettuce ready to eat. Would I get more leaf lettuce than head lettuce? Or maybe I should just start from seed...
Alana 2005 *God's blessing of Grace*
Matthew 2008 *God's blessing of Joy*
David 2010 *God's blessing of Love*

Elysha 2012 *God's blessing of Faith*
Caleb 2014 *God's blessing of Peace*
Olivia 2016*God's blessing of Kindness*
And
Benjamin 2020 *God's blessing of Patience*
ShowersofBlessings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShowersofBlessings For This Useful Post:
flowermama (04-15-2014), ReedleBeetle (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #9
ReedleBeetle
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

I do leaf lettuce from seed. It is ready to start harvesting some in about 3 weeks, IIRC. I basically sprinkle it lightly all over the surface of the dirt and then kind of pat it to help it settle down in and lightly cover. It is probably one of the easiest things to grow.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReedleBeetle For This Useful Post:
flowermama (04-15-2014), ShowersofBlessings (04-14-2014)
Old 04-14-2014, 01:28 PM   #10
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedleBeetle View Post
I do leaf lettuce from seed. It is ready to start harvesting some in about 3 weeks, IIRC. I basically sprinkle it lightly all over the surface of the dirt and then kind of pat it to help it settle down in and lightly cover. It is probably one of the easiest things to grow.
I agree. Don't bother buying the plants. Lettuce grows really easily from seed, and it doesn't transplant well. I do the same thing as ReedleBeetle: I sprinkle the seeds over the surface and pat them down. Then I usually just pinch leaves off once the plant has enough that I won't be killing it by taking a leaf or two.

You can get started with very few supplies. You can even grow lettuce in the clamshell containers that you buy lettuce in at the grocery store - http://www.motherearthnews.com/homes...#axzz2ytVgcDtr

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
flowermama (04-15-2014), ShowersofBlessings (04-22-2014), StoryOfGrace (04-14-2014)
Old 04-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #11
cro
Rose Garden

cro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond reputecro has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReedleBeetle View Post
Bolting is when lettuces go to seed. It does NOT taste good at that point. It usually happens when the heat of the day increases as you get near mid summer. I typically do 2 seasons of crops on these. A spring and a fall. So, spring lettuce is usually done (here) around mid-late June. The fall crop would go in early Aug. Lettuce that matures in the colder temps is SOOOOO good! Also, if you always cut in the earlier part of the day, your leaves will taste sweeter.
Good to know! I grew leaf lettuce last year, but by the time we picked it, it was bitter and nasty.
E ~ born in America 12/08/08; natural bio miracle
cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cro View Post
Good to know! I grew leaf lettuce last year, but by the time we picked it, it was bitter and nasty.
Probably was already too hot for it. I had that happen the first year I tried to grow it, but have been successful since.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote