Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post]
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Homeschooling & Unschooling (Support) *Public* [Open--Join Forum to Post] A place for both current homeschoolers/unschoolers and those who are considering homeschooling to find support.
A public forum. A read-only forum unless you join the corresponding usergroup here.

Please Note: Everyone can read this forum, and everyone is welcome to seek and offer homeschooling/unschooling support in this forum, but to post you must join the corresponding usergroup.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:42 AM   #1
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Math suggestions?

Dd needs a new math program. She needs something very hands on. She's about a year behind.

I looked at Math-U-See but I don't like to use media for the core of our schooling, and I know there is an instructional DVD. However, if it's a small part of the program, it would be okay.

I've looked at Schiller and RightStart. They are expensive, too. I don't know anyone who uses them, though.

Ideas?

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
LovinBeingMommy
Rose Garden

The many faces of Monkey

LovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond reputeLovinBeingMommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Math suggestions?

We use Horizons math. The lessons are straight forward and easy to understand and the amount of work isn't overwhelming (each lesson is one page, front and back, no matter what). They're not super expensive, compared to many others. I think I paid less than $50 for the two workbooks. There is a teacher's manual, but it's not 100% necessary in the lower grades because it's easy enough to check for yourself and you can figure out the new skills to teach without a lot of guidance. (I have it, but really don't use it.)

Most definitely INFJ

Be my friend?!
(Just let me know you're a GCM )
LovinBeingMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LovinBeingMommy For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:14 AM   #3
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Miquon Math is an option. I haven't used it, personally.

I know many people who love Math U See. It's very popular so there's a good chance you might be able to pick up a second-hand package. I don't think the videos are a predominant part but hopefully some people will chime in who use it.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Miquon Math is an option. I haven't used it, personally.

I know many people who love Math U See. It's very popular so there's a good chance you might be able to pick up a second-hand package. I don't think the videos are a predominant part but hopefully some people will chime in who use it.
I use miquion and mammoth both might be options. They are very different. Miquion is a discovery cuisnare rod based.

Mammoth is much more 'normal' and workbooie. But does a wonderful job of introducing almost everything graphicly and then introducing the numbers and forms.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Math U See is supposed to be you (parent) watch the video, then use the instruction manual to teach the lesson. It is about one five minute video for every six days of math. The video is just a teacher standing in front of a classroom- no fast action or cartoony stuff. I let my kids watch the videos. It is very hands on and all my kids do well with it.

The Good and the Beautiful has extremely hands-on screen-free math, but it only goes up to first grade- they will release others over time.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-25-2019), HuggaBuggaMommy (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
twentysixcats
Rose Garden

twentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond reputetwentysixcats has a reputation beyond repute

I started with RightStart. It's an awesome program, in theory. But it was too much on me, the teacher, especially in the throes of PPD and toddlers/babies. I needed something open and go and Horizons has been a much better fit. But RightStart is very hands on and manipulatives driven, so if that's what your daughter needs then it sounds like a great fit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
DD2 (7/2012)
DD3 (9/2014)
twentysixcats is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twentysixcats For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I've used Miquon, Math-U-See, Singapore, and Beast Academy.

Beast Academy is for seriously math-y kids. It's awesome! But I wouldn't use it unless she really likes math. It goes into much more depth than any other elementary program. Except there's no graphing.

Singapore is okay. Too many books for me, though (Text book, workbook for student, Teacher guide. Plus the answer key is sold separately). It's a bit of a funky mix of spiral program vs mastery program. My dd who uses it hates the textbook. We have issues with her "losing" it regularly. The wording can sometimes be a problem in that word problems are often not phrased the way we speak in the US. I've had to work problems backwards a few times - find the solution in the manual first - to figure out how to explain just what they're asking in the workbook. Maybe it's just me, though.

Miquon is discovery-based math. The worksheets don't necessarily have to be done in order. You give the student Cuisenaire rods to play around with andto figure out the concepts, find patterns, that sort of thing. It's great for kids who are more intuitive and need hands-on learning or like the challenge of figuring things out themselves and really seeing the concepts take shape. The worksheets tend to be hand-drawn, mimeographed pages, very low-tech graphics.

Math-U-See is probably my favorite. Like Aerynne said, the video is about 5 minutes per day and is supposed to be for the parent. I let my kids watch the video, mostly because I've got four of them at different levels all clamoring for my attention. I'm there to explain anything that doesn't sink in. I don't use the Teacher's manual all that much, at least for the younger levels. (I had to keep it handy for Algebra this year though. He explains things a little differently than I learned them.)

I have friends who LOVE Saxon. It's pretty traditional. The one thing is that they say is that there are many, many more problems for each lesson than most kids need. One friend who used it with her four said that it was designed for classroom use; the first page for each lesson was to be done in class and the second done at home as homework. She just used the one page with her kids and found it to be sufficient; they were more than prepared for upper level math.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
HuggaBuggaMommy
Administrator

HuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond reputeHuggaBuggaMommy has a reputation beyond repute

Ds1 was a mathy kid, and so we used two complementary curricula a year, so I have experience with Miquon, Singapore, Saxon (ugh!), Horizons, Life of Fred, and various public school textbooks.

Dd has used Miquon and I think it was mostly a good fit for her, but she doesn't know facts or anything, and that makes me a bit...I don't know...like maybe she should. She hates working math problems but loves logic and manipulatives and puzzles; we tried Mathematical Reasoning this year, and she flew through the shorter pages but really struggled with any sort of longer work. I was considering trying Miquon and Horizons together, but then thought something like Math-U-See might be more all-inclusive.

So maybe I will look into MUS now. Thanks!

Oldest, 22
Middlest, 13
Youngest, 10
HuggaBuggaMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #9
Maleldil's daughter
Rose Bouquet

Maleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud ofMaleldil's daughter has much to be proud of

I tried out a couple different curricula last year searching for something my ds would understand and not hate. We tried MEP, Singapore, and Lif of Fred. We finally landed on Rightstart and I love it. I found level C used on ebay and that was a big savings. Also getting just the games kit to play their math games would be a great supplement if you wanted something else for the day-to-day.

Wifey to the Husby 9/6/2006
Mama to The Littlest Man in all the Land 5/31/2012
and The Littlest Girl in all the World 1/28/2016

Counseling is like cleaning out your fridge. Mostly it's rearranging things so they make more sense. Now and then you come across some really nasty thing that's been stuck in the back way too long.
Maleldil's daughter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maleldil's daughter For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 07:33 AM   #10
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

Math-U-See's DVD is designed to be watched at the beginning of a lesson and a lesson takes about a week to complete. So it's not like you are watching the dvd every day. Just once a week. Once a lesson. In the early years, the teaching lasts maybe 5 minutes and increases to 15-20 by high school.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Last edited by heartofjoy; 06-25-2019 at 10:33 AM.
heartofjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heartofjoy For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (06-25-2019), HuggaBuggaMommy (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #11
Lady Grey
Rose Garden

Lady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond reputeLady Grey has a reputation beyond repute

My struggling math student had a year of Right Start (level B). While I like it, I struggle to recommend it because of the cost. My cost on the manipulatives was reduced because I already owned about 1/3 of them, and my friend who occasionally works as a RS rep told me which ones I could skip from the rest of the kit. I can'r speak for the other levels, but in A and B there is very little writing and a lot of it is on a whiteboard.

Otherwise he has used Singapore standards edition. It has been slow and steady, but he has progressed. I use the home instructors guide and the workbook for most levels. (answer key is in my guide in the version I use) It uses manipulatives but not as much as RS.

I also used Math Mammoth topical books for multiplication and division with him.
HuggaBuggaMommy (06-25-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #12
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

I love Math U See. We use the video a couple of times a month, usually when I'm struggling to remember some concept. Lol

My kids like to watch it, but it's 2% of the curriculum.

We are doing two levels with my oldest. Division was taking too long, and we both needed to start something new while finishing the other book.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2019, 03:01 PM   #13
Tasmanian Saint
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Go Team Lioness!

Tasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond reputeTasmanian Saint has a reputation beyond repute

I use MEP with my older two because it's an excellent program with plenty of solid problem-solving and it's FREE. It's not immediately obvious that it's quite hands-on - you need to use the lesson plans to get that benefit, which takes time to get a flow that works in your home because the plans are designed for classrooms. For me, that had been worth it because I really love FREE There's a really supportive FB group ('The MEP Group') and the blog posts linked in their pinned posts are very helpful.

I also have to give a plug for Gattegno.
You don't get any more hands-on than this. But it's quite a learning curve for the parent. Personally, I'm having a ball You can use Task Cards from Play, Discover, Learn to make it more open-and-go, and the blog posts there and at Arithmophobianomore help me to see what I'm supposed to be doing. The Arithmophobianomore lady used to do free online trainings for parents but I'm not sure if she is at the moment. I think if you join their forum you can get access to the recordings.
Myth Busting over at Dare to Disciple
"Believe in yourself. Trust your instincts. Unless your instincts are terrible." Vitruvius, The LEGO Movie.
Tasmanian Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tasmanian Saint For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #14
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

I really like Saxon, the repetition and building on concepts was great for my daughter who struggles with math. She was WAY behind, just didn't get it at all, until we started Math 2 halfway through her second year. She finished Math 3 on time. We do a lot of the work, because she really needs to do the same thing three times before she'll admit she doesn't know what to do and then to do it three times to cement it. My son did Saxon also but we used it as a rough guide because he really understands it and just didn't need all the explaining and all the practice.
You need the teachers manual, which provides you with a scripted lesson (we did not do all of the daily meeting every day, just whatever she needed some reminders on) and the student workbooks. You really don't need the meeting book.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (06-26-2019), Virginia (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 06:40 PM   #15
JoyGal
Rose Garden

JoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond reputeJoyGal has a reputation beyond repute

We started with Math Lessons for a Living Education from Masterbooks last year. They have placement tests and sample pages. I found it great except that it seemed a little behind for grade level. We ended up switching to Saxon during the year, but I think it gave great lessons that were engaging, sort of fun, and esthetically great at keeping interest. You can make it very hands on and the work load is light.

This is the one we used to start 3rd grade: https://www.masterbooks.com/catalog/...t/view/id/2734
This is the miracle of life. ~ Maureen Hawkins

My Hygge Page
JoyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoyGal For This Useful Post:
HuggaBuggaMommy (06-26-2019)