Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Soups *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 04-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

You know how we say, "It works both ways!"

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute
Default WIC Stew

This is a rich soup my daughter prefers to call a stew than a soup. Made from WIC ingredients for mom and baby in the second half of the first year.

2 lbs red or fingerling potatoes
1/4 lb carrots (WIC)
5 or so celery stalks (WIC)
2 onions (WIC)
1 bunch radishes with greens (WIC)
1/3 bag lentils, rinsed (WIC)
1 can prepared red or kidney beans or 1/3 bag beans, pre-cooked to desired texture (WIC)
1 48 ounce bottle of V8 (WIC)
Water or broth
2 jars babyfood carrots (WIC)
2 jars babyfood squash (WIC)
1 jar babyfood green beans (WIC)
1 jar babyfood peas (WIC)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp ground thyme
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

You'll need a large stock pot. Chop the vegies into whatever size piece appeals to you, from diced to large chunks. I prefer large chunks myself. You'll need enough potatoes to fill the bottom fourth to third of the pot. Top with the carrots, celery, onions, radishes (chop the radish greens in there, too), the lentils, and the beans. Pour over with the V8. Add the jars of babyfood, then refill the V8 bottle with water, and use to fill the pot to within two or three inches of the top. Add the seasonings.

Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Cook until the vegies are soft. I cover my pot so that it will heat faster.

Great with homemade bread. Reheats wonderfully. Baby can eat the soft vegies as finger food. I add red pepper to my own bowl.
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rabbit For This Useful Post:
abh5e8 (04-02-2010), curlymopmom (04-02-2010), DancingWithElves (04-02-2010), newday (04-02-2010), Quiteria (04-02-2010)
Old 04-02-2010, 05:50 PM   #2
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WIC Stew

What a great use of WIC items....especially the juice. I didn't realize that you could get V8 as the "juice"

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
thomer
Rose Garden

thomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond reputethomer has a reputation beyond repute

If you put it in your blog, I could send it to some friends of mine on WIC.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! That's sounds yummy. I know I read about you using the baby food to cook with, but wasn't sure how. I just have to remember to do that at the beginning of the month, before I blow through my produce credit.
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Rabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond reputeRabbit has a reputation beyond repute

V8 makes an excellent soup base. And you can use any of the approved flavors, but I've only used the regular, not low sodium or spicy.

I was in the mood for minestrone, and had recently watched Anthony Bourdain experience two kinds of traditional Portuguese soups, and from that came up with this soup. I've tried it with noodles, with or instead of potatoes, but they lose texture fast, and this soup stretches over three or so meals. That's a lot of time in the fridge.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

We use V8 spicy for Tortillia soup base that turns out similar to El Chico's

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

Though this section of the board is public, I'm a little shy about telling the entire world we're both on WIC and using the babyfood for real food.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I add jars of babyfood to all kinds of other dishes. Spaghetti does well with some carrots or squash. Oatmeal does great with any of the fruits, or sweet potatoes. Chicken soup can handle a jar of carrots. I add sweet potatoes to the egg mix for french toast. I use the fruit in making creamy popsicles (yogurt + fruit, topped off with milk).
Old 04-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Synesthesia
Rose Garden

Synesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond reputeSynesthesia has a reputation beyond repute

That's a great idea. I always love fruity baby food, but I've never thought of doing anything with the vegetables and I'd like to try my hand at making soup.
Like the day I learned to swim?-Kate Bush, The Fog

Wielder of the Katana of Lepidoptera and General Randomness.
Synesthesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #9
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

It's expensive if you're not getting it free from WIC. Better to just use a stick blender to puree real vegies.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #10
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Though this section of the board is public, I'm a little shy about telling the entire world we're both on WIC and using the babyfood for real food.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

I add jars of babyfood to all kinds of other dishes. Spaghetti does well with some carrots or squash. Oatmeal does great with any of the fruits, or sweet potatoes. Chicken soup can handle a jar of carrots. I add sweet potatoes to the egg mix for french toast. I use the fruit in making creamy popsicles (yogurt + fruit, topped off with milk).

Thanks for the suggestions. I think there are a lot of misconceptions about what WIC is and who qualifies for it, etc. WIC is NOT an entitlement program and it helps fill the gap for all types of families. I have been on WIC for a long, long time... I remember going to the WIC office with my mom as a small child (for the finger pricks..youch!). Thanks again for sharing those yummy recipes.
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #11
Rabbit
Deactivated
I support GCM!

The Peaches and Cream popsicle recipe was scheduled to post on my blog today. I had hidden that my half cup peach puree is really a 4 oz jar of baby food.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #12
momyshaver
Rose Trellis

Grace is for mamas too!

momyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud ofmomyshaver has much to be proud of

Quote:
The Peaches and Cream popsicle recipe was scheduled to post on my blog today. I had hidden that my half cup peach puree is really a 4 oz jar of baby food.
momyshaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 PM   #13
newday
Deactivated

newday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond reputenewday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
if you put a different label on it you could sell it for twice as much as a "quick kitchen help: Chef's additions"

I cook veggies and puree them to add body and flavor to soups and sauces. It works really well.
I love your recipe. Thanks for sharing.

When we want pasta in a soup we cook it separately and spoon it in at the table. That way it doesn't go mushy and soak up all the juice.
newday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
DancingWithElves
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Blissed out in the January sun

DancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond reputeDancingWithElves has a reputation beyond repute

ooooooooooooooh, *great* ideas!!

(and honestly, i'll go ahead and say it'll do more good putting baby food into my food and letting my kid start solids when she's ready, which by then she'll be having table food )
my belongs to the babywearing 'Architect'
Dancing with my three Magical Elves Smiles the Stampede Sugar Plump & Double Dimples

Kissing each elf 1,000,000 times a day, and when there's time left tracking gnomes, singing folk songs on the porch, befriending dragonflies, and bopping sun-frosted 'fros through the dandelion fields.

DancingWithElves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #15
abh5e8
Deactivated

abh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond reputeabh5e8 has a reputation beyond repute

can you not get potatoes with WIC?

awesome recipe mama!!
abh5e8 is offline   Reply With Quote