Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #16
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help me! Please

I think you're going to have to babystep.

I would suggest killing the soda/sweet tea and drinking more water. Definitely increase the veggies. Carry water with you.

Different things work for different people.

Do you have a grill? Homemade grilled pizza is the best thing ever. And grilled fish!

Really, I'd just work on cutting calories and sugar to start. SUgar mucks with every part of your body, it really does.
Atsirk (03-25-2014), Katigre (03-25-2014), Quiteria (03-25-2014), squiddles (03-26-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #17
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

You know me- real food is best.

DH has a soda problem and recently I got him the flavored carbonated water . Soooooo much better and he likes it. It's a coke product found it by the cokes.

Remind me what kinds of spices and things you like. For example instead of chicken fingers, do baked chicken with some homemade honey mustard or even some low sugar BBQ sauce. (Sticky fingers brand has no HFCS last time I checked).

Instead of fried fish do seasoned fish- we love lime seasoning. Frozen tilapia from freezer to done in 20 min. We also like it with lemon pepper on it (in the spice aisle by the black pepper).

A pizza snack me and the kids like is zucchini cut into rounds- put a dab of tomato sauce and a dap of cheese on it and bake for a few min.

Do you eat much HFCS?

I also think diet drinks make people gain weight.
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
Atsirk (03-25-2014), ForHim (03-25-2014), Katigre (03-25-2014), Quiteria (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 03:27 PM   #18
Atsirk
Rose Trellis

My sweet boy a few days after his 1st birthday!

Atsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't had diet coke in a long time... been drinking regular Dr Pepper

Any yes too much HFCS

We eat really badly. but I'm working towards better habits.

Tonight I'm cooking steak with zucchini and onions. DH wanted potatoes so I'm making some potatoes au gratin and a salad.
Baby C born 12/19/18!
Atsirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Atsirk For This Useful Post:
charla (03-25-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #19
RealLifeMama
Rose Garden

RealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond reputeRealLifeMama has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds like a good dinner!

I find that it really is easier to skip the casserole type sides. My go to vegetables and potatoes are just roasted. I like potatoes, and we eat them often, but I typically bake them whole (rub clean skins with oil of choice, add salt and wrap in foil, bake low and slow in oven. They are creamier that way.) or I roast red or sweet potatoes.
I roast all veggies w/ olive oil, salt and pepper, and other seasoning. All veggies taste good roasted, and it is faster and less hands on than other methods. (ie, if I forget about them, they usually are not over cooked and mushy/bitter/flavourless, just a bit, um, caramelized. )

Boy Wonder 19,
Mr. Cool 15, and
Ninja 13
Sunshine, 11, and 8 year old Joy

RealLifeMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RealLifeMama For This Useful Post:
Atsirk (03-25-2014), Katigre (03-25-2014), squiddles (03-26-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #20
Missus E
Rosebud

Missus E is a jewel in the roughMissus E is a jewel in the roughMissus E is a jewel in the roughMissus E is a jewel in the rough

I've really enjoyed the Eat This, Not That/Cook This, Not That and Hungry Girl books for ideas about how to revamp "normal" food.
ISTJ wife to my INTJ husband, TTC #1 since Nov. 2012

Enneagram Type 2 (The Helper) Married to Type 1 (The Reformer)
Missus E is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Missus E For This Useful Post:
Atsirk (03-25-2014), Snugglebugmom (03-27-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:32 PM   #21
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

I think that cutting the calories you drink is easier than manipulating the food you eat in terms of quick ways to cut calories. I mean, you want to make some food changes, too, but the beverages are truly empty calories, and your thirst will drive you to drink them whether you're full or not.

I like the Polar flavored seltzer...it's naturally flavored, with no artifical sweeteners. Takes a little getting used to, but it's fairly healthy. You could also try water with a squeeze of citrus...lemon, lime, etc. Another trick is to start cutting back the sugar in sweet tea by small increments. I used to drink hot tea with so much honey growing up that it was sickeningly sweet...and now I prefer it plain...you just have to do it gradually. Herbal teas and green teas can also help with that transition, since they aren't as bitter as black. Peach flavored black tea is pretty good, though.

You know that bananas are related to avocados, right? I haven't seen anyone mention banana recipies, because that's kind of random, but they often cause a reaction in people sensitized to avocados or latex.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Atsirk (03-26-2014), Johns_Gal (03-26-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 07:38 PM   #22
Atsirk
Rose Trellis

Atsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond reputeAtsirk has a reputation beyond repute

That's really interesting. He does eat bananas occasionally and he's never had a problem, but I guess we should keep an eye on that.

And I'm sure I'm drinking way too many calories/sugar. I did have 1 glass of water today which is a big improvement over yesterday
Baby C born 12/19/18!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:08 AM   #23
MudPies
I support GCM!

My kiddos

MudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond reputeMudPies has a reputation beyond repute

Another baby step would be to cut HFCS. You have to read labels- even things like bread can have it.
Wink 3/10 Pink 12/10
and Tink 5/16
Remembering
MudPies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudPies For This Useful Post:
Atsirk (03-26-2014), squiddles (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #24
Atsirk
Rose Trellis

I've only had 1 Dr Pepper today and I had a salad for lunch!
Baby C born 12/19/18!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atsirk For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (03-26-2014), Quiteria (03-30-2014), squiddles (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 04:33 PM   #25
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with some of the others that id focus first on eliminating the soda! Way to go today only having one dr pepper! My cousin used to drink several sodas a day and quit cold turkey, not changing anything else in her diet and lost like 20 pounds....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
Atsirk (03-26-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 04:43 PM   #26
Andi
Rose Bush

Andi is a splendid one to beholdAndi is a splendid one to beholdAndi is a splendid one to beholdAndi is a splendid one to beholdAndi is a splendid one to beholdAndi is a splendid one to beholdAndi is a splendid one to beholdAndi is a splendid one to beholdAndi is a splendid one to behold

Another baby step approach is to change one meal a week. So the first week you focus on one healthy meal, the second week two, the third three, etc. And cutting out the drinks would go a long way!
Andi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andi For This Useful Post:
Atsirk (03-26-2014), Quiteria (03-30-2014)