Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #151
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Decluttering thread!

I went through our bookshelves and pulled some to give away. I gave my son's "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books 1-5 and some cute grammar books to a woman who is giving them to her sister who teaches 2nd grade. I also gave away some other books. I listed quite a few other items and had one no show - someone who said she was going to get some things and then could not make it. I have a donation bag out in the garage and I will call the next group that sends me a postcard asking for donations. I also have a box of books for my old church that I need to get to someone.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
http://becauseisaidsothathswhy.blogspot.com/
believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:21 AM   #152
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you bumped this. I'm working on rearranging things a bit in the kitchen and finally decided the tiny glass spice jars I received over 10 years ago as a gift were ready to go. It's a baby step, but since I have a baby, I guess that makes sense!

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
believer (12-23-2014), ShangriLewis (12-23-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #153
ShangriLewis
Moderator in Vegetarianism & Veganism

Arrange whatever pieces come your way. ~VW~

ShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond reputeShangriLewis has a reputation beyond repute

I got rid of 6 garbage bags of things from our loft. I have another van load and tossed 3 bags of trash this month as well. I am getting a shredder and getting rid of old paperwork.

Heather
The Prophet 23yob, The Peacemaker 20yob, The Warrior 17, The Little Flower 11yog and The Surfer 9yob and our little birdie girl 4yo.

ShangriLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShangriLewis For This Useful Post:
believer (12-23-2014), sunflowermom (12-25-2014)
Old 12-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #154
RiverRock

Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

I filled the back of my vehicle (last row of seating and cargo space) with bags of clothes, household items and toys. It feels good to have a little extra space in my home. It also feels good to be able to let go. In the past I often tried to find people to pass toys and clothes on to, but it was a lot of effort and I usually felt ashamed when people didn't want the things. I don't know why I felt ashamed, but it became a stumbling block for me to pass things on. It was nice to donate a lot of awesome quality things to the thrift store instead of picked over items.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
Married for 25 years to a rugged boulder
and resting together on the one true Rock.
RiverRock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
believer (12-23-2014), ShangriLewis (12-23-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 01:49 AM   #155
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

About a week ago I filled up 3 of those big, black, outdoor trash bags! It was all junk from our project room. Half finished projects (from over a year ago), cheap little craft kits that will NEVER get used, and other random things that were just in the way. Then I went through the living room toy bin again. (I do that about monthly).

Next on the list is MY closet. I am going to get rid of all of my cloth diapers.

A co-worker told me that he calls their closets full of junk their "tumors." They're like growths that weaken the whole organism. Surgical removal is the way to health! And prevention, of course.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
believer (12-25-2014), bentlaj11 (12-29-2014), sunflowermom (12-25-2014), WanderingJuniper (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #156
RiverRock

RiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond reputeRiverRock has a reputation beyond repute

Good work, Lisa.

I have a tumour closet, too. Maybe a few of them. It would be so nice to have space in closets to put things, instead of having already full closets that hardly seem functional. My closets are like inconvenient attic spaces because the the things that should be easily accessible are hard to get to.
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
believer (12-25-2014), Soliloquy (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #157
believer
Rose Garden

believer has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond reputebeliever has a reputation beyond repute

I want to keep getting rid of stuff and only keep what we really use and enjoy having. This morning I went through some old boxes of family photos - we have some from my grand parents and treat grandparents. I threw out the negatives. I started sorting photos and am going to get ds to help me scan the great ones.
It is amazing that no matter how much old junk I get rid of, there is always a lot more.
It feels good to get rid of things though. I just got a postcard in the mail from a group that will pick up stuff in my neighborhood Jan. 10. I need to get more stuff together for them.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (12-25-2014), Soliloquy (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #158
WanderingJuniper
Rose Garden

WanderingJuniper has disabled reputation

Ugh. We have a closet like that too. I have been meaning to tackle it for months but it will be such a job! Part of the issue is sports gear storage in that closet. We are avid cyclists and so all the repair equipment is in there. Trying to find an organizational system for that...
WanderingJuniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #159
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

I just read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing and it helped give me a good kick-in-the-pants. I am always happy to declutter, but she's obviously more intense about it than I've ever been. I am going to try her method, though, and start on my clothes this week.

While reading it, I cleared out a few bags of clothes from our various closets. They're loaded in my car and just need to go to the thrift shop.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
believer (12-25-2014), Soliloquy (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 05:56 PM   #160
RiverRock

Punkie, can you share a few of her tips that stood out to you? I need a kick in the pants, too!
19 year old pearl, and
16 year old tiger eye.
The Following User Says Thank You to RiverRock For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #161
believer
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
I just read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
I had not heard of that book. I found it listed at the library. They have 5 copies - all out - and 36 holds on it. I am number 36. It will be a while before I get the book.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
The Following User Says Thank You to believer For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (12-25-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 07:02 PM   #162
Punkie
Administrator

Punkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond reputePunkie has a reputation beyond repute

I read this article before reading the book, and it really sums it up well. She is certainly quirky (and maybe a bit OCD ) It should give you a good idea of whether or not you might like the book.

Still... I like the way that she treats each object with thoughtfulness and care. I appreciated the idea of thanking the objects before you get rid of them, even if it is just to thank them for teaching you what you don't like. I haven't gone so far as to do that for everything I touch, but I like the general idea of acknowledging the good that has come from each thing, rather than the guilt/frustration/shame that so many decluttering experts teach.

She has a really cool way of folding her clothes so you can see all of them in the drawer. I'm really digging that.

I like that she is all about finding objects that you love, rather than searching for objects to toss. I've read that elsewhere, but I like how focused she is on the positive in that way.

I also like her suggestions for how to work through your house, starting with stuff that is non-emotional, going by category (instead of by location - so, for example, you'd gather all of your shirts... or books... or jackets... or whatever from around the house (or car ), bring them to one place, and then declutter them all at one time.)

She also is of the mind that you should do a giant declutter, rather than just a few items a day. Her argument is that you need to feel a change in the energy of the room if you want to be able to maintain without rebounding. That makes sense to me.

If you like reading organizational blogs/books, it is an interesting one to add to the list. Some of the stuff will be familiar, but a lot of it has her own twist. She is certainly a fan of herself and quite sure that she knows the best way. I don't think she and I could ever be best friends, but I think there is good information to be gathered from her book, so I can overlook the personality stuff.

Homeschooling mom to 4, certified herbalist, homesteader, and overly ambitious crafter
Punkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Punkie For This Useful Post:
believer (12-25-2014), blondie (12-29-2014), Carini (12-26-2014), Hannah Elise (12-29-2014), Leslie (06-04-2015), RiverRock (12-26-2014), Soliloquy (12-25-2014), staceylayne (12-28-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #163
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

We did a bit of decluttering before Christmas, but now that boxes are unwrapped, I know we need to do more.

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #164
believer
Rose Garden

Now I am looking forward to getting that book. I love the idea of gathering all of the same thing together into one place. One problem that I have is that stuff is so scattered that I can't find it when I need it and then I buy another one - and later find the ones I already had.
mom to:
B. - 16 y.o. dd
J.-19yo ds
M.- 25
(MIL to) A - 24
2 white cats, 3 dogs
Old 12-26-2014, 05:29 AM   #165
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

My parents bought us an old,wonderful dresser from a thrift store for Christmas. Lots of drawers of various sizes!
My bedroom is horribly,massively cluttered as a result of a teeny tiny closet and no dressers until now. EVERYTHING has to come out of my bedroom today except the bookshelves and bed.
Whimper.
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote