Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Health and Wellness > Natural Health & Nutrition *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Natural Health & Nutrition *Public* Discuss herbs, homeopathy, home remedies, etc., and healthy eating.
A public forum.

Please Note: A variety of opinions and ideas are shared on GCM. Personal experiences, suggestions, and tips found here are in no way intended to substitute for medical counsel from a healthcare professional. Always use your own good judgement and seek professional advice when in doubt about a health concern.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #1
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default My anxiety has disappeared with Paleo/Primal eating...but questions inside

Ok, I have always dealt with mild anxiety/obsessive worrying to some degree or another. This pregnancy it was pretty bad during my 1st trimester and gradually got a little better during the 2nd. A month or so ago I got really committed to cutting out/reducing refined sugar consumption as well as trying out paleo/primal eating.

At first I wasn't going to cut out grains, but I ended up doing so and the biggest change I notice is that I'm no longer anxious!!! This is huge for me and has continued for just over a month now. I was having to do major journaling/CBT exercises to help with my anxiety and now don't have to at all. I still have the same thoughts pass through my mind that everyone has, but they don't trigger the anxiety/obsessive thinking cycle like before. It feels like part of my brain chemistry has regulated and the only thing I changed is my diet.

So....what does this mean long-term? Anyone got research articles or links about this that has more 'how exactly does this work' details? I am wanting to make sourdough bread with an authentic starter to have some bread available in the house for the kids and DH as they want it (we're not huge bread eaters though) and I'm nervous about whether it's something ok for me to eat or whether I just need to be hardcore no-grains forever in order to keep a happy brain.

Thanks for any insight!
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Katigre For This Useful Post:
PrincessAnika (05-12-2012), racheepoo (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
Marsha
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Marsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond reputeMarsha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My anxiety has disappeared with Paleo/Primal eating...but questions inside

That is amazing! Do you think it might be wheat/gluten? If so, you can eat quinoa or rice and hopefully have the same benefits.
Katigre (05-12-2012), racheepoo (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Katigre
Rose Garden

Why thank you, it is naturally blue...

Katigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond reputeKatigre has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My anxiety has disappeared with Paleo/Primal eating...but questions inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
That is amazing! Do you think it might be wheat/gluten? If so, you can eat quinoa or rice and hopefully have the same benefits.
I feel so good I'm scared to mess it up by adding anything back into it...if that makes sense. I want to get a better understanding of the WHY behind it before I start experimenting with different foods and potentially feeling anxiety triggers again.

[Note: I think one reason my anxiety was so much worse the 1st trimester was b/c I ate a LOT of bagels each day to help with the nausea, definitely carb-heavy and that probably tipped my brain chemistry over to the anxious side more strongly than normal. Obviously hormones were a factor too . But my brain probably wasn't able to cope with the hormonal shifts as well due to the disregulation].
Katigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #4
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmm. When I was reading about celiac disease a couple of years ago, I learned that the intestional damage caused by the disease can result in malabsorption of nutrients - essentially malnutrion - which causes anxiety and depression.

Could you have a mild wheat allergy? (The two nationalities/ethnicities with the highest celiac rates/wheat intolerance are Italians and Norwegians, oddly enough.)

Wish I could be of actual help.
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
allisonintx
Rose Garden

Some Cal/Mag will probably fix that.

allisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond reputeallisonintx has a reputation beyond repute

The enteric brain, when not coated in goo, works much better.

allisonintx
Wife to Stephen
Mother to Elizabeth 19, Andrew 17, Abigail 14 & Evelyn 12

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the world. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down. Tells you she's hurting before she keens. Makes her a home.
. . . . . . .

allisonintx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to allisonintx For This Useful Post:
3boysforme (05-12-2012), Eowyn (05-12-2012), Katigre (05-12-2012), mamaeffie (05-12-2012), mommychem (05-12-2012), PrincessAnika (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
3boysforme
Deactivated

It's the Peanut!

3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute3boysforme has a reputation beyond repute

That's amazing and very interesting. I know from my own experience that my rage and anger issues have stopped since cutting out wheat. I would be interesting to see if there has been any research on that subject.
3boysforme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3boysforme For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

one sign that I have gotten gluten is panic attacks. I would guess you're probably sensitive/allergic to at least one grain, possibly gluten. See how you feel when you re-introduce glutenous grains or other grains. Maybe introduce them as you would for a baby.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a similar experience. I dealt with two strangers coming to the house unannounced yesterday without having a near panic attack. The third one did tip me over the edge though and ruined my evening.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #9
MaiMama
Rose Garden

MaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond reputeMaiMama has a reputation beyond repute

That is fantastic! I'd stay primal for a while if it's working for you. Eventually if i added carbs in, I'd save gluten stuff for last. I'm just gf and haven't noticed similar benefits. I feel too overwhelmed to go grain-free right now, but maybe I'll manage it. I'm happy for you, though!
Trinity Rain - The Matrix, 2004
Jackson Atreyu - The Neverending Story, 2006
Bella Adalyn - Twilight, 2009
and introducing:
Lincoln Ambassador - Fringe, 12/16/2012
remembering Aviva Ata '08
MaiMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaiMama For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
LilacPhoenix
Rose Garden

E's newborn feet; G's 3-yr-old feet

LilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond reputeLilacPhoenix has a reputation beyond repute

My anxiety is virtually nil since being GF I still eat other grains, but limit them to 1 1/2 to 2 (cooked) cups a day.

INFPs are a FiNe SiTe to behold!
DYT 1/2
My recipe blog! Recipes

"I need to live life like some people never will... To ride the wings of dreams into changing horizons." Dream Theater
LilacPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LilacPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
mellifera
Rose Trellis

mellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond reputemellifera has a reputation beyond repute

Julia Ross, who wrote the books "The Diet Cure" and "The Mood Cure" talks about wheat being one of the worst foods for messing with people's mental well-being.
mellifera is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mellifera For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-12-2012), mommychem (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #12
GraemesMomma
Deactivated

GraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond reputeGraemesMomma has a reputation beyond repute

How great!

I've been putting this off for so long for myself. Thanks for sharing...it reminds me how worth it simply giving it a go would be
GraemesMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GraemesMomma For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

I recently went grain free and am working towards totally sugar free. I have noticed my anxiety is almost gone. I was gluten free before without any noticeable difference, so for me, I need to be grain free.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-12-2012)
Old 05-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
julbug
Climbing Rose

julbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud ofjulbug has much to be proud of

This was in my inbox this morning and the transformation is of course amazing, but I think the part about her having panic attacks while driving you might find relevant.

http://paleononpaleo.com/hot-healthy-paleo-weight-loss/

wife to an amazing man

happy mama to

10 yo DS "When can we fight bad guys on an island?"

8 yo DS "I just love being human!"

2 yo DS, born in water, into mama's hands

BFF and SIL to happyhippimama
julbug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to julbug For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-16-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
Zoesmama

Interesting stuff here. I dislike meat and just can't eat much but try to stay to whole foods and get quinoa noodles when cost is effective.

Interesting to know links with anxiety/depression to wheat/gluten. Sugar I know is a big reactor on anxiety as well as caffeine(at least for me).
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Katigre (05-16-2012)