Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-16-2015, 12:15 AM   #16
Amber
Rose Garden

Amber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond reputeAmber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you grocery shop?

I go once a week while DS1 is at youth group. I have about 2hrs to hit Costco and another crocery store. I leave the other kids at home with dh. If I didn't have to pick up DS I would spend longer shopping
Big M (6/03) Forever ours Dec 2012
C (6/04),
Little M (10/05) Forever ours Dec 2012
K (5/06)

Missing our foster daughter Miss A
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amber For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 12:38 AM   #17
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Major shopping on pay days Thursday's every two weeks. One store I bring a list shop alone when possible. Then sometime before the weekend ill stop by Wal-Mart which is around the corner from our house for some top off stuff or needed household items.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:43 AM   #18
BriansLovie
Rose Garden

Striving to be a gentle mama and enjoying my littles.

BriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond reputeBriansLovie has a reputation beyond repute

We shop Martin's every Sunday morning.

We shop Whole Foods for some things every two and a half weeks.

Trader Joe's once a month.

We have a produce box delivered weekly.

Mama to J - 11, J - 9, & A - 5
&
Two angels
9/2007 & 1/2008
BriansLovie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BriansLovie For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 03:50 AM   #19
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

How do you get your produce to last for 2 weeks? that was my first thought.

I try to tie grocery shopping to other things. Once a month, I have a meeting on Saturdays in the city, and I hit Whole Foods on the way home. Once every week, I go to Weight Watchers to weigh in, and there's a Market Basket next door. The Trader Joes is next to a mall with an arcade and DH's favorite secondhand store is up the street, so we tie that together.

I wish there was a way we could just go to one store, but that would add about $300/month to our bill because it'd have to be Whole Foods. Trader Joe's isn't close enough to go to regularly. Eggs and meat are the main issue. WF has (by far) the cheapest cage free eggs. They are almost double everywhere else. And we spend $100 a month on eggs from WF. But I get almost everything else at other stores where it's cheaper.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2

Last edited by bananacake; 03-16-2015 at 04:50 AM.
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:17 AM   #20
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah just using one store would be impossible here.

I could double what I get at Aldi and natural grocers and only go once a month, alternating, and I've considered that, but I'm not sure I have the storage space in my house. Even with two upper cabinets devoted to food, a deep freeze, a side by side fridge, and mil has a mini fridge and a couple big baskets in her room. And on shopping day it's all full to overflowing except the deep freeze. It's about half full though.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:26 AM   #21
mom23sons
Rose Bouquet

mom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to allmom23sons is a name known to all

I buy all my meat in bulk and that is once every month or two. I usually shop at Save a Lot to buy the essentials once/week. Then top off produce and such once/week at another store. Like others have said the kids are older so they stay home and do lessons while I shop. When they were younger though it was hit the store right after breakfast and try to get home get everything put away, lunch and nap for all.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:51 AM   #22
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

As for produce there is not a lot we can eat in the winter anyway. A big bag of oranges and a few pounds of carrots gets us through.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #23
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I just remembered you can't eat much raw produce.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:51 AM   #24
Elibellamiah
Rose Trellis

Elibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond repute

We're pretty random about where we go and when we go. Sometimes I shop at Meijer for hours, sometimes my husband stops at a store on his way home from work. Sometimes I check ads and use coupons, other times I just go wherever I feel like going and have no idea what's on sale. I always avoid taking children which means I usually go out at night. I always bring a list or else I would have no idea what we need, but I usually buy a bunch of things that aren't on the list too. I don't know, it's not helpful, but I'm just adding in what we do.
Elibellamiah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elibellamiah For This Useful Post:
MercyInDisguise (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 06:32 AM   #25
Elspeth
Rose Trellis

Hold on tight and pretend it's a plan.

Elspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond repute

I always have my complete list made before I go, with my meal menu on the list as well for reference and double checking. I don't use grocery stores, really. I used to, but my favorite one (Harris Teeter, they had the best deals and the nicest staff) left our city. So now I either go to Target or Walmart. I prefer Target because it's cleaner and has a Starbucks, especially when I have to take all 4 kids with me. I don't always get coffee, but on rough days, that $3 is worth some sanity to get through the shopping-with-kids.

Sometimes I hit up multiple stores, because if we (me and the kids) are out, then we make a day of it. I try to streamline the stops and make it efficient so I don't have to go into a store with groceries warming up in the car. It's too much hassle for me to go to one store, go home, go back out, repeat. Heck no. If we're going to be out during lunch, we either eat out (we don't have allergies to accommodate anymore) or pack something. Though honestly, I don't pack a lunch very often because if I'm going grocery shopping, chances are that we're out of bread and peanut butter so there's not much to pack for a lunch anyway.

Lately, I've been doing the grocery shopping after DH comes home from work. I take the baby and maybe my 5yo, and it's so much easier and faster.

I really want to check out ordering groceries from Amazon and online shopping through a local grocery store. I think it'd be helpful, at least in my situation.

Breathe in peace, breathe out love. And drink coffee. Lots of coffee.
Elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elspeth For This Useful Post:
Sparrow (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 06:40 AM   #26
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

It helps that I'm pretty far out from many options. Trader Joe's is over an hour away. The Wal-Mart by us has hardly any of the foods we eat. We buy grass-fed beef in bulk for cheaper than Wal-Mart meat. I cancelled my Costco membership because it's over an hour away and I never stayed in budget when I went there. We do have a small, locally owned HFS and I go there for raw milk, as needed, but it's not planned and my dh will often do it as he is the one who drinks milk.

Last edited by Soliloquy; 03-16-2015 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:57 AM   #27
milkmommy
Rose Garden

sisters!

Location: Sunniest place on Earth and hotter than Phoenix! Might as well be sitting on the sun...
milkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond reputemilkmommy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
How do you get your produce to last for 2 weeks? that was my first thought.

I try to tie grocery shopping to other things. Once a month, I have a meeting on Saturdays in the city, and I hit Whole Foods on the way home. Once every week, I go to Weight Watchers to weigh in, and there's a Market Basket next door. The Trader Joes is next to a mall with an arcade and DH's favorite secondhand store is up the street, so we tie that together.

I wish there was a way we could just go to one store, but that would add about $300/month to our bill because it'd have to be Whole Foods. Trader Joe's isn't close enough to go to regularly. Eggs and meat are the main issue. WF has (by far) the cheapest cage free eggs. They are almost double everywhere else. And we spend $100 a month on eggs from WF. But I get almost everything else at other stores where it's cheaper.
Yea most produce lasts maybe 3 days so does milk and often bread... We do top off trips every few. Days. But tend to just get the above... I do tend to buy like apples onions potAtoes carrots and citrus in bulk which will take us two weeks... or should.
We have limited store choices. No whole foods t.j etc... basically just our local grocery a fry's which prices pretty well and Wal-Mart. I find our fry store a. Overall better quality. Wal-Mart win s in house hold stuff though.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #28
Sparrow
Rose Garden

Immerse your soul in love.

Sparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond reputeSparrow has a reputation beyond repute

I'll tell you how I shopped when the boys were littler because I don't bring them now.

First I'd check the flyer for our main store to see what meat was on sale. I'd meal plan around that. Then I'd look to see what staples needed to be topped up.

Since I only ever shopped at one store I know the layout. I know pasta is aisle 4. So I'd right my list in order.

We'd go after a hearty meal, usually mid morning. Our bakery gives free cookies so we'd stop there. And then I'd move like lightening. Stop at a park on the way home. Unpack while I gave them coveted cheese sticks and tv. Make lunch.

Then we'd go to our green grocers. I'd get our produce and natural meats (they did there're own pepperoni there) sometimes we'd get ice cream after.

Then we go home. Shopping day was kids choice dinner (within reason) as a celebration for making it through the day.

Now though... They don't come, I hardly meal plan on prices since all meat is expensive, I still breeze through the store so I can enjoy a Starbucks before I go home and DH is none the wiser. I mean groceries always take two hours!

Mama to:

Bear 16.75 Funny and Tender. Larger than life. ENFP
Max 14 Affectionate and Spirited. Artist
Chickadee 8! She's Sunshine and Song. Born in the caul

We have a fur baby. A cat called Charlie
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
Carini (03-16-2015), RiverRock (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 07:38 AM   #29
AngelaVA
Rose Garden

AngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond reputeAngelaVA has a reputation beyond repute

Usually I send DH to Costco with a list and then I do the big grocery store on the weekend or evening when he can stay with the kids. We used to do the whole day thing like you are describing but now the kids are older and have HS group, sports ect during the day and they get really mad about missing those things for grocery shopping.

Wife to David since July 2005, Mama to Genevieve born June 2006 and to Gabrielle born February 2009

AngelaVA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaVA For This Useful Post:
Chaos Coordinator (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 07:59 AM   #30
Elspeth
Rose Trellis

Hold on tight and pretend it's a plan.

Elspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Since I only ever shopped at one store I know the layout. I know pasta is aisle 4. So I'd right my list in order.
I thought I was the only one who did that! Yay, I'm not totally weird.

Breathe in peace, breathe out love. And drink coffee. Lots of coffee.
Elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elspeth For This Useful Post:
Lady Grey (03-16-2015), MaySunflowers (03-16-2015), OnAMission (03-16-2015), Soliloquy (03-16-2015), Sparrow (03-16-2015)