Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Someone teach me how to clean a toilet

Seriously. I think I'm doing it wrong

Especially people with husbands and coordination-impaired boys - how do you keep the hinges on the seat clean? Do I really have to dismantle the whole thing every 5 minutes to keep it clean???

And those with hard water; what gets those stupid marks under the rim away?? We have so many different minerals in our water that our 'limescale' looks like a rainbow.

I don't know anyone who has this much trouble keeping their toilet clean
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Earthmummy07 For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #2
MaySunflowers
Deactivated

MaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond reputeMaySunflowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Someone teach me how to clean a toilet

Bleach and a toothbrush is what I have for hinges.

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:31 PM ----------

I bleach everything really. I coat in bleach, let it sit then come back and scrub hard.
MaySunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaySunflowers For This Useful Post:
Elspeth (03-23-2015), MercyInDisguise (03-27-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #3
Earthmummy07
Rose Garden

Earthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond reputeEarthmummy07 has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is allergic to bleach

I think this is one of my major road blocks.

I just learned a cool tip for cleaning the mineral marks around the rim using toilet paper and vinegar that I am excited to try. Except that I only have ACV and worry it might make staining worse.
Earthmummy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
bliss
Rose Garden

NEUROSPICY!

bliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond reputebliss has a reputation beyond repute

Baking soda with a little vinegar sprayed or poured on it makes a nice foam that fizzes away the yuckies. You can add a drop or two of a disinfecting essential oil as well. I would do white vinegar, it's cheaper for one thing and won't stain for sure. And definitely teaching those boys to grab some potty paper and quickly wipe any misses will help a bit.
greengirl19 (03-23-2015), Llee (03-23-2015), Quiteria (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
Elspeth
Rose Trellis

Hold on tight and pretend it's a plan.

Elspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond reputeElspeth has a reputation beyond repute

I use Lysol all purpose spray and paper towels for the outside, toilet brush and toilet bowl cleaner for the inside. You could try one of those tank tablets to help keep the bowl cleaner in between deep cleans.

Breathe in peace, breathe out love. And drink coffee. Lots of coffee.
Elspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elspeth For This Useful Post:
Llee (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #6
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

Just going to admit in a house of 3 boys I am not very good at this

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #7
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

I use vinegar spray for cleaning everything except the bowl. For the inside I use "the works" it's the only thing that gets all the stains off and it's almost instantaneous. Plus it's cheap.

For the hinges I just spray and wipe and that seems sufficient.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #8
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

We get a lot of mineral build up too and I have to use a pumice stone to get the marks to go away. Regular scrubbing doesn't work for our water.

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sunflowermom For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #9
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

a pumice stone is the best way to get the stain away. I hate this because the sound is awful to me, but it really does work. Usually I trade my mom some chore so she will do the pumice stone and I'll do something for her that she hates

and spraying on and around and in the hinges should sort of float out any nasty. I like the idea of baking soda and vinegar. Might need to try that. You can also use diluted hydrogen peroxide the same way.

I like baby wipes for the outside because they grab everything - and make sure you get around the base every single time - not only the outside of the base and the bowl, but the floor around the base. If you wipe down daily, it's less often that you have to be scrubbing it out.

If it's already very stained and soaked in with urine, you might need to redo the caulking around the base.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
blessedwithboys
Rose Garden

blessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond reputeblessedwithboys has a reputation beyond repute

I just switched to the easy off hinges so that I could just remove the whole seat every time. Way easier than unscrewing it. It's like this- you just twist the hinges to take them off, then twist to put back on. http://t.homedepot.com/p/BEMIS-Lift-...-000/100058606. I use a toothbrush and bleach to clean in the tiny crevices of the hinges when they need it (not super often since under them is typically the worst). If your husband is allergic, you could take the seats outside to do that once in a while, then rinse them.
blessedwithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #11
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

All of the above, plus sometimes you have to just go get a new seat/lid. Not too often or anything, but we've had a few we've had to replace because the humidity in the bathroom eats at the enamel or whatever the coating is until it's all bubbly and then you can't keep it clean.

Also maybe try this http://www.collegehumor.com/post/670...rt-mode-toilet

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
Elspeth (03-24-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #12
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Plastic toilet seats instead of wooden ones. Bar Keeper's Friend is the best for getting rid of hard water or rust stains. (It's also the best for cleaning a ceramic/glass cooktop and the glass of fireplaces and woodstoves.)

I try to make my boys sit to pee. My husband does because I told him he'd be cleaning the toilets if he didn't.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #13
Dovenoir
Rose Garden

Dove - noir

Dovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond reputeDovenoir has a reputation beyond repute

So you're seriously pumice scrubbing the escape hatch regularly?
Old 03-23-2015, 09:00 PM   #14
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

D

Last edited by Mother of Sons; 03-24-2015 at 05:41 AM.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (03-23-2015), Chaos Coordinator (03-23-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 09:09 PM   #15
Chaos Coordinator
Rose Garden

They need freedom to just be fluffy mashed potatoes and feel their fluffy feelings.

Chaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond reputeChaos Coordinator has a reputation beyond repute

The last time i cleaned toilets i decided replacing them must be easier and only slightly more expensive.

Joy
Progressive Methodist
Enfp mama to
Sparrow, 10
Zion, 7.5
Baby Gus, 4.5

Preschool teacher. Musician. Timelord.
Www.justicemercymayhem.wordpress.com

"What you plant in the kingdom will surely grow, and what you grow with love will surely bloom, and the fruit of the spirit will come back to you."

Chaos Coordinator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chaos Coordinator For This Useful Post:
Earthmummy07 (03-24-2015), Elspeth (03-24-2015)