Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #781
easygoinmomma
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Silence is golden unless you have boys. Then it means they're into something!

easygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond reputeeasygoinmomma has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kombucha 101 thread!

Stiina, since we started drinking kombucha we hardly ever get sick now and if we do feel something coming on it never gets to be a full on cold or whatever.
and momma to all boys
The Manatee
Lishy
Doodles
Goose
and Charlie the litter trained Chihuahua
easygoinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to easygoinmomma For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (10-02-2012), Stiina (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #782
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

When can my baby SCOBY become a big kid and make it's own batch? What should I look for to let me know she's ready? (yes it's a she, I'm surrounded by boys here, the baby SCOBY is a girl)
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (10-02-2012), easygoinmomma (10-02-2012), JenLovie (10-02-2012), Soliloquy (10-02-2012), SweetCaroline (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #783
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

That's fab, Norma!!! Looking forward to that in our home too

HWMB - bump for your question
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
HomeWithMyBabies (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #784
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

Is it thick enough to handle, or is it still very thin?
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #785
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

It seems fairly thick but I don't know what to expect if I try to move it. I put a straw in there to draw some tea out and it seemed kind of stiff.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #786
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

a little Attachment Parenting will fix that

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

i would say if its movable- its good to go ..like 1/4 in. thick?

does anybody else just pour off glasses of KT with the scoby just floating on top?

i used to do the straw thing to taste it..but i think i just like it at all stages..so from about the 5th day..im just pourin' glasses baby- till its gone
ISFP
SweetCaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SweetCaroline For This Useful Post:
HadassahSukkot (10-03-2012), HomeWithMyBabies (10-03-2012), solatido (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #787
solatido
Rose Trellis

solatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond repute

If that is the case, I am brewin' TOMORROW
solatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #788
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiina View Post
y'all are going to be so proud.

I drank kombucha yesterday.

I bought the GT's kind that starts with "S" (can't remember) and it was cranberry flavoured. I thought it smelled like my sister's old rental house - kind of musty and wine-y and dusty-sweet. I didn't especially like it but I found myself chugging it and then wondering why there was only half of it left. So i guess I like it! Except near the end I got some of the floaty scoby in my mouth and that was naaaasty. But I did it! I drank kombucha!! YAY KARISA!!! I'm going to take such good care of your scoby.
Cranberry GT Dave's (Synergy) is NASTY!!!! Seriously, if you were able to drink half that bottle you will down a gallon of the good stuff. Next time get mango or strawberry. Homemade is just amazing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
shekinah (10-03-2012), Stiina (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #789
Stiina
Rose Garden

Not Sharing Exuberantly Anymore

Stiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond reputeStiina has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!!!!! Ok, I`m glad I started out with the gross stuff. how hilarious that i pîcked it!!! Thanks Lisa!!! Yessssss ok, now I`m supa pumped to make my own!!!!!
Stiina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stiina For This Useful Post:
shekinah (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:23 AM   #790
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

I didn't mind the GT Dave's cranberry, that was the first of that brand I tried and compared to High Country (which was nasty) so I thought it was fine and sweeter than anything else I'm drinking on GAPS. GT Dave's Mango was way sweet for me. However I only got the cranberry once, the one I grab whenever they have it, over any other kind, is GT Dave's gingerade. It's like real gingerale.

Today I'm going to turn my starter brew and SCOBYs into two one gallon brews.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:53 AM   #791
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

SweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeSweetCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

the GTs Gingerade..oh.my.word.

i do a double ferment with apple juice & fresh ginger sometimes, really delicious!
ISFP
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SweetCaroline For This Useful Post:
Dovenoir (10-03-2012), HomeWithMyBabies (10-03-2012), JenLovie (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #792
zak
Administrator

Friend of the Fellowship

zak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond reputezak has a reputation beyond repute

I had some SCOBY text help from cobluegirl a couple weekends ago. I let my gallon jar sit for like.... 18 months maybe. The scoby was huuuuuuge. To get it out of the jar was like birthing a placenta!

I got a couple chunks of it and tossed the rest. I restarted the process (I actually need to jar it today).

Hoping that monster scoby mess doesn't kill me.

Dedicated GCMer since 2003

Administrator and Moderating Cradled, Babes, Breastfeeding, Beautiful Mothers and Circumcision
zak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zak For This Useful Post:
backtobasicsmum (10-03-2012), blondie (10-03-2012), easygoinmomma (10-03-2012), shekinah (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:26 AM   #793
SweetCaroline
Rose Garden

ISFP
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SweetCaroline For This Useful Post:
2TMama (05-20-2013), blondie (10-03-2012), Dovenoir (10-03-2012), easygoinmomma (10-03-2012), HomeWithMyBabies (10-03-2012), JenLovie (10-03-2012), shekinah (10-03-2012), solatido (10-03-2012), zak (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #794
HadassahSukkot
Deactivated

being oppressed means the absence of choices - bell hooks

HadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond reputeHadassahSukkot has a reputation beyond repute

I never thought of it until now... but
HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HadassahSukkot For This Useful Post:
SweetCaroline (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #795
solatido
Rose Trellis

solatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond reputesolatido has a reputation beyond repute

Allllllrighty, I tossed my SCOBY and the very vinegar-ish liquid into a gallon jar with fresh sweet tea! The house is in the mid 60s, so should I give it a full week before sampling?
solatido is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to solatido For This Useful Post:
shekinah (10-03-2012)