Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:18 PM   #16
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Have a White Sink? I need some feedback

This is so fascinating!

I love mine. The scratches come right off for me.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 04:28 PM   #17
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

In high school we had a cream stone sink, no one but me ever scrubbed (my Mom did a few times a year I guess when it was a holiday) it but it came clean pretty easily. I am nervous about cast iron with the chipping issue. I cook a ton, we use stainless steel pots and pans.

I think I will need to research. Too bad they don't sell sinks in Amazon. I read the reviews on there for everything, even if I buy it locally.
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.

Last edited by ValiantJoy07; 02-06-2016 at 04:30 PM.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Dandelion (02-06-2016), ECingMama (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #18
Garland
Rose Trellis

Garland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond reputeGarland has a reputation beyond repute

White sinks are terrible. Never look clean. They scratch easily and show marks. My favorite kitchen sink was black granite/composite. Looked so nice and even after several years cleaned up perfect with no scratches or chips or marks.
Dandelion (02-06-2016), rjy9343 (02-06-2016), ValiantJoy07 (02-07-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

I hate enamel sinks. But my white sink is some kind of solid material, and it cleans up perfectly, couldn't chip or flake (unless I dropped a boulder in there or something), and looks bright and clean. I drink coffee, cook a ton, but can't use cast iron at this house because the type of stove I have isn't compatible.

I'd rather have something I can see the dirt on and know to clean it than something that "hides" it, and a dark sink just seems very odd to me. I would go with stainless steel (I like the modern designs with stainless) over a dark material, and probably choose the same kind of white I have if I had the option.

I don't use bleach because I'm on a septic, and clean my sink with either dish soap and a scrub brush (for quick cleaning) or Bon Ami for deeper scrubbing.
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FaithHopeLove For This Useful Post:
Llee (02-08-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #20
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post

I think I will need to research. Too bad they don't sell sinks in Amazon. I read the reviews on there for everything, even if I buy it locally.
Amizon does have sinks. http://www.amazon.com/kitchen-sinks/...8&node=3754181
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
Dandelion (02-06-2016), ECingMama (02-06-2016), ValiantJoy07 (02-07-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 06:55 PM   #21
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I love white sinks. We're replacing our sink & counters at some point and I will get a huge white sink. There are different grades/quality. The cheap ones will scratch & stain much sooner than the better ones. You can put a special mat or rack in the sink to prevent scratching, too.

My current sink is dark charcoal and it always looks dirty. It shows every hard water spot and just generally looks icky even when I've just cleaned it.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaithHopeLove View Post
I hate enamel sinks. But my white sink is some kind of solid material, and it cleans up perfectly, couldn't chip or flake (unless I dropped a boulder in there or something), and looks bright and clean. I drink coffee, cook a ton, but can't use cast iron at this house because the type of stove I have isn't compatible.

I'd rather have something I can see the dirt on and know to clean it than something that "hides" it, and a dark sink just seems very odd to me. I would go with stainless steel (I like the modern designs with stainless) over a dark material, and probably choose the same kind of white I have if I had the option.

I don't use bleach because I'm on a septic, and clean my sink with either dish soap and a scrub brush (for quick cleaning) or Bon Ami for deeper scrubbing.
Do you think it's Corian?

I am going to get an undermount sink. I want Quartz counters but we may go with white Corian, probably getting a Corian sink either way.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
Dandelion (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 07:13 PM   #22
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point. Mine was expensive.

I really think coffee would be hard on a sink though. The carpet guy told me coffee was the hardest to get out of carpet. Both grandmas drink coffee on my carpet and leave the cup on floor while playing with the kids.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:27 PM   #23
FaithHopeLove
Rose Garden

Follow That Truck!

FaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond reputeFaithHopeLove has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I love white sinks. We're replacing our sink & counters at some point and I will get a huge white sink. There are different grades/quality. The cheap ones will scratch & stain much sooner than the better ones. You can put a special mat or rack in the sink to prevent scratching, too.

My current sink is dark charcoal and it always looks dirty. It shows every hard water spot and just generally looks icky even when I've just cleaned it.

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

I am going to get an undermount sink. I want Quartz counters but we may go with white Corian, probably getting a Corian sink either way.
My guess is porcelain? It's solid, whatever it is. And you don't hear that metallic pinging sound when you pour a thin stream of water in it, similar to the sinks that chip. I don't think it has any metal other than the drain fittings.

It's a Kohler. I went and looked after posting earlier, lol.
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #24
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I have a white sink. I do not love it for all the reasons everyone mentioned. Except it hasn't flaked.

Our previous home had stainless steel. I liked that much better in the long run.

If I got a new sink I might do something different though.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #25
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post

Yes I want quartz countertops in a light bright grey with white specks. and I want a giant sink. That's the thing my Mom was saying the copper sink I was eyeing was too expensive. But 1) if we're going halvesies 2) I want some thing that will last and not be damaged. The cream stone sink we had in high school never chipped it did get a bit scratched if I recall correctly. I like the idea of copper because it is antimicrobial and while it isn't white, it wouldn't encourage gross things to grow in between dishwasher loads...
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Dandelion (02-07-2016), knitlove (02-07-2016)
Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #26
gerberadaisy
Rose Trellis

gerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond reputegerberadaisy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoy07 View Post
In high school we had a cream stone sink, no one but me ever scrubbed (my Mom did a few times a year I guess when it was a holiday) it but it came clean pretty easily. I am nervous about cast iron with the chipping issue. I cook a ton, we use stainless steel pots and pans.

Wayfair.com definitely sell sinks - all types. We're redoing our kitchen son so i've. Been looking
gerberadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #27
greendelight
Rose Trellis

greendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant futuregreendelight has a brilliant future

We have a white sink, and I don't love it.
greendelight is offline   Reply With Quote