Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:49 PM   #466
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation
Default Re: Decluttering thread!

We are about the tear down the nasty drop ceiling in the addition and get it drywalled. Therefore the room needs to be emptied. What a fantastic opportunity to delutter! It's the current play room and family room. So I've been working on the playroom and eliminating all the stuff we no longer need/want/have space for. Today I pared down all our stuffed animals and board games.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:54 PM   #467
Michele123
Rose Trellis

Michele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond reputeMichele123 has a reputation beyond repute

Spent the day cleaning out DD's room. Too much junk. Unfortunately I can't throw any of it away. I was able to clean and reorganize. We moved most of the toys to the playroom. She just has bedroom stuff and books and a couple dolls in there now. Her tiny room looks spacious and she kept explaining, "my room looks brand new!" She's really happy with it now. She will be allowed to take one or two quiet toys in at rest time each day must they must be cleaned up and put back in the living room or playroom before she does anything else after rest time. Hopefully I can keep that part up.

The next couple days I hope to tackle my room. At least there I'll actually be able to get rid of stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ENFJ, please excuse my stream of consciousness posts.

Battled infertility for 3 1/2 years before DD (PCOS)
TTC #2 for 6 months (3 ovulations)

Married to DH since Aug 2004
DD born Feb 2012
DS born May 2014
#3 due Aug 2016
Michele123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 02:14 PM   #468
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

I just pulled out all the clothes out of my bedroom with the exception of Jacob's since I just went through his. I also left the dirty ones alone since I figure if they are dirty, we are wearing them. But everything else is now in the living room. I suspect James is going to be surprised by just how many clothes he has. He is forever in telling me I have more than him. I will sort mine, but leave his alone until he gets home.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #469
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't posted in this thread for awhile. Towards the end of my pregnancy I had a strong desire to declutter but not the mental energy to actually do it. Now I'm trying to fit in little spurts of decluttering when I can. I've made progress on my closet. The next step is F's wardrobe. She has 3x the number of clothes she needs. Dh finally agreed to put the bins of his childhood toys back into the garage because the kids rarely play with them.

I'm so excited to get rid of more STUFF.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #470
KarenBoo
Rose Garden

KarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond reputeKarenBoo has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa, you are an inspiration! I think it took me a year or more to get back into things after having each baby! LOL!

crunchy, homeschooling, and focused on healing with diet, homeopathy, and QRI cold laser reflex integration
KarenBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarenBoo For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (02-14-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #471
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

We got the worst of it done. I pulled out every single item of clothing in the closet and dresser and he was surprised at how much he has. He culled about a third of his clothes and I cut out about a quarter. We will tackle shoes tomorrow and I will handle our bathrooms. So far I have four boxes to go and more will come. I have a lot in mind to get out of our room and get out of the house.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
KarenBoo (02-13-2016), Michele123 (02-14-2016)
Old 02-13-2016, 10:15 PM   #472
Elibellamiah
Rose Trellis

Elibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond reputeElibellamiah has a reputation beyond repute

I've been trying to declutter a lot recently too. It's frustrating because almost everything in this house isn't mine and no one else is willing to go through stuff or get rid of things. But, today I went through some bins of art and school stuff. Yesterday I pulled everything out of linen closets and bathroom cabinets and got rid of a bunch of stuff. I'm also reorganizing toys and games so that I have lots of large clear bins for things, I'm hoping that will make it easier to clean up but also have things be seen and used.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

I'm also finding all kinds of stuff we didn't know we had. Canvas paintings that aren't framed and aren't signed that we have no idea where they came from, a box full of really old books that I think were my grandfather's and great grandfather's, a watch with my grandfather's name engraved on it (he died in 1957 when my dad was a little boy so anything of his has to be pretty old), and a class ring that I think must be my dads. It just says Kemper Military School 1844 on it which made me think I'd found an extremely old antique at first, but it makes more sense for it to be my dad's and 1844 is probably the year the school was founded.
Sorry if I'm writing too much.
Elibellamiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:18 PM   #473
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I just threw out all the travel mugs that aren't Contigo.

Which leaves us with two. I'd love to get a few more Contigo but I'm also hoping that only having two for awhile will help dh to stop leaving his in the car for a week.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:53 PM   #474
rjy9343
Rose Garden

Aside from the stacks of papers in our room, I am done. The papers are his and I think he has some sort of deal where people send him all their paper and he stores it until I slip, trip and fall on it enough to threaten to have him charged with attempted homicide. If James ever goes missing, I will follow a literal paper trail and find him. No police involved, his papers will bring him home.
The bathrooms will have to wait, the bedroom was a lot more than I thought.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (02-14-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #475
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjy9343 View Post
Aside from the stacks of papers in our room, I am done. The papers are his and I think he has some sort of deal where people send him all their paper and he stores it until I slip, trip and fall on it enough to threaten to have him charged with attempted homicide. If James ever goes missing, I will follow a literal paper trail and find him. No police involved, his papers will bring him home.
The bathrooms will have to wait, the bedroom was a lot more than I thought.
at the literal paper trail. I'm glad you're making progress in your home! I need to tackle Mt. Paperwork at our house too.

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:13 PM   #476
rjy9343
Rose Garden

I crammed a week into two days and cleaned out both bathrooms and threw out a bag full of junk. I cleaned out the fridge and then the kids clothes. Then I got rid of a lot of old photos that I hate. I decided I have dragged these things around for nearly twenty years and each time I hurt more looking at them. So I pitched them. Ivy was with me and thought all of them were weird or ugly. I should have done it years ago.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:16 PM   #477
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

I'm itching to do a major round of decluttering, but I can't seem to get into that mental space. I did purge a handful of board books, but hardly enough to count.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 10:27 PM   #478
rjy9343
Rose Garden

A handful is how it starts. Just ask my family, first it's just this corner and suddenly everything has been hauled away.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (03-01-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 09:55 AM   #479
Blue-EyedLady
Rose Garden

The Lion Cub

Blue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond reputeBlue-EyedLady has a reputation beyond repute

I just spent a bunch of money on organizational stuff for the new shed we got this summer. We've decided to use it as a workshop for DH's new woodworking hobby/business, and he asked me to help him organize it. The idea is that if it's better organized, we can make some room out there to put storage totes of Christmas decorations etc. Right now, all of that is in a bedroom closet.

Hopefully, this is the first domino to fall causing a chain reaction of decluttering. Getting the totes out of the closet means I can get into the closet easier to go through stuff and get rid of it. Making room in one closet leads to reorganizing and more decluttering.

That's the plan, anyway...

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Sister to BlessedBlue forever

Co-Founder and Lead Writer at Food Allergies On Ice

Blue-EyedLady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blue-EyedLady For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (03-04-2016), rjy9343 (03-04-2016), sunflowermom (03-04-2016)
Old 03-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #480
rjy9343
Rose Garden

I pitched a pair of shoes that never really fit and got rid of a few things that don't fit the kids. I also found some other random junk to throw out. I am finally getting my house back. I am getting happier by the day.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (03-05-2016), sunflowermom (03-04-2016)