Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
Virginia
Rose Garden

Don't mind my faces. They usually don't mean anything.

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rental House- Yard Questions

DH and I are moving from an apartment to a rental house in a fairly wooded/shady area. We're responsible for yard upkeep, so I have some questions...since we've never ever had to keep a yard before

1) What lawnmower would you suggest?
2) How can we get weeds out of our gravel driveway?
3) When winter comes...how do we deal with snow removal on the gravel driveway?
4) What other tools do I need? What else do I need to think about?

I loved yardwork as a kid. Not so sure I'm going to love it as an adult...but I'll give it a shot!
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 PM   #2
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental House- Yard Questions

We have an old Groundsmaster for mowing the lawn. A walk behind would take forever. We've never had weeds in the gravel so no issues there. We have a plow so that's how we usually clear the driveway but sometimes the kids use snowblowers. Over time it will removes some of the gravel. The bigger issue with gravel is the mud in the spring.

You will need a weed whip.
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

We have an electric corded mower that I love. It is less expensive and lighter weight. It might not be practical for a very large yard, however.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_506579-53393...uctId=50129046

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
Virginia
Rose Garden

Virginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond reputeVirginia has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Mother of Sons (I just typed "Songs" first, haha). We only plan to be here for one winter, so I'm thinking a snow blower will be more practical than a plow for us.

I didn't even think about mud Any advice?

Sara, thank for that link! Since it's electric, does it have to stay plugged in...? It looks from the reviews like it does. Doesn't the electric cord get the in way? I like the price and the reviews I'm seeing on Lowe's, though.
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 07-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #5
Pragmatist
Rose Garden

Pragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond reputePragmatist has a reputation beyond repute

It does have to stay plugged in. I start mowing closest to where it's plugged in and move farther away and I'm fine.

Strawberry Shortcake- 3/07

Huckleberry Pie- 9/11
Pragmatist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pragmatist For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-01-2015)
Old 07-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #6
Mother of Sons
Rose Garden

My kid shoots laser beams from his hands

Mother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond reputeMother of Sons has a reputation beyond repute

The mud depends on how much gravel there is. If it's well graveled right now you won't have trouble with mud. You really mainly run into that when the gravel wears away and it's more dirt than gravel. Here we have some low spots and get big puddles but not sticky mud. At our old house I got stuck a few times!
Mother of Sons is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mother of Sons For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-01-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 05:08 AM   #7
FaithnPraise
Rose Garden

AKA Dr. Duh!

FaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond reputeFaithnPraise has a reputation beyond repute

We just bought this mower from Lowe's, we used the 10% off coupon we got in our movers packet from the USPS. Our yard is too big for a plug in so this was just right for us.

DH has cut the yard twice with it, no complaints!
FaithnPraise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FaithnPraise For This Useful Post:
kiloyd (07-02-2015), Virginia (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #8
squiddles
Climbing Rose

squiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond reputesquiddles has a reputation beyond repute

weeds in gravel can be burned with a weed-burner, or killed with vinegar and then dug up...
squiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiddles For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 06:30 AM   #9
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a moderately sized yard (double city lot) and we have a rotary mower. I pushed for it because I prefer to do the yard work and large power tools (essentially) intimidate me...At least when I'm working with them around my kids.

The mower is fantastic as long as we are consistent to mow every week. I love it because I can just pull it out and get going, no worrying about trying to figure out why it won't start, or fumes. The newer ones take a lot less sweat to "go". We've had it 2 summers and it still cuts as well as it did when we bought it (and we mow 1-2x a week depending on rain levels).
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ValiantJoy07 For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 06:43 AM   #10
Thia
Rose Garden

Thia has disabled reputation

The best thing to do with a gravel driveway is to scrape it off and smooth it back out. My husband does it a few times a year and it always looks great.
Thia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thia For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #11
esperanza
Rose Garden

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not much help in the mower department, but you will need a rake for leaves in the fall.
The Following User Says Thank You to esperanza For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-02-2015)
Old 07-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #12
Virginia
Rose Garden

Thanks for all the advice, y'all!

We actually went to the house today to start moving stuff in and happened to run into the owner, whom we had not met before. He told us he had sprayed the driveway with Roundup on Sunday and was coming back to do a few more rounds. He was very, very helpful and told us that if there were any changes to be made to the yard, let him know and he'd either do them or let us do them. "Make it look however you want it to look" was his phrasing, haha.
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 07-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

How big is the yard? I have a Yard Machine push mower that I love. I have to mow over 2 acres so it's a lot of work but that thing can handle whatever.

You can kill weeds in a driveway with a homemade, vinegar-based weed spray. Lots of recipes online. Get a pump sprayer (they're about $10) or you'll wish you had.

For a gravel driveway, you must have a 2-stage snowblower, not a 1-stage. Or, shovel. If the driveway isn't that big you can just shovel.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #14
Virginia
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
How big is the yard? I have a Yard Machine push mower that I love. I have to mow over 2 acres so it's a lot of work but that thing can handle whatever.

You can kill weeds in a driveway with a homemade, vinegar-based weed spray. Lots of recipes online. Get a pump sprayer (they're about $10) or you'll wish you had.

For a gravel driveway, you must have a 2-stage snowblower, not a 1-stage. Or, shovel. If the driveway isn't that big you can just shovel.
The yard's not that big I know the entire lot size is half an acre, but that doesn't take into account the house, deck, and driveway.

Thanks for the pump sprayer advice- we'll look into that for sure.

I didn't even know there was a difference in snowblowers, haha Good to know!!
DD1 "KO" born 8/2017
DD2 GIRL born 1/2020

Old 07-02-2015, 11:41 AM   #15
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

I love it when landlords don't care what you do with the yard The only sad thing is that when we plant something awesome (like our two fig trees!), we might not be around to see them at their best (or most productive).

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Virginia (07-02-2015)