Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 04-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #31
elohcin
Rose Bouquet

elohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud of
Default Re: What oil is healthiest for baking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
It's just that there is a difference that you will notice in texture. It is much less (often nonexistant) with cupcakes, cakes, and muffins and completely indistinguishable for bread.
See, this is where I run into a problem. I use applesauce a LOT in baking, but my family always notices the texture difference (and actually, primarily in cupcakes, cakes, and muffins!). And they don't like it.

Does the type of applesauce make a difference? I almost always use my homemade canned sauce because I have a ton of it. Though I have used store-bought once and it didn't change the outcome.
11 very loved babies in Heaven
elohcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:22 AM   #32
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elohcin View Post
See, this is where I run into a problem. I use applesauce a LOT in baking, but my family always notices the texture difference (and actually, primarily in cupcakes, cakes, and muffins!). And they don't like it.

Does the type of applesauce make a difference? I almost always use my homemade canned sauce because I have a ton of it. Though I have used store-bought once and it didn't change the outcome.
A few things I have noticed:

sometimes using just a teaspoon to a tablespoon of oil and the rest applesauce gives a better texture

always allow stuff to cool. Right out of the oven the texture is kind-of gummy.

I use store-bought unsweetened applesauce and haven't tried it with homemade.

You can also try pumpkin instead of applesauce (obviously that doesn't work in everything, but I've had good success with it even with chocolate muffins/cupcakes).

You can also try mashed beans- white beans if it's something white, or black beans if it's chocolate. Those sometimes give more structure but can also be heavy. You can also use half beans, half applesauce or some other fraction.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (04-07-2016), deena (04-06-2016), elohcin (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #33
elohcin
Rose Bouquet

elohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud ofelohcin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
A few things I have noticed:

sometimes using just a teaspoon to a tablespoon of oil and the rest applesauce gives a better texture

always allow stuff to cool. Right out of the oven the texture is kind-of gummy.

I use store-bought unsweetened applesauce and haven't tried it with homemade.

You can also try pumpkin instead of applesauce (obviously that doesn't work in everything, but I've had good success with it even with chocolate muffins/cupcakes).

You can also try mashed beans- white beans if it's something white, or black beans if it's chocolate. Those sometimes give more structure but can also be heavy. You can also use half beans, half applesauce or some other fraction.
Yes, the gummy texture has definitely been the one consistency the whole time and that's what they hate, especially my DH. My applesauce at home is unsweetened, but it is slightly thicker (just barely) than the storebought one, so I don't imagine that would make too much difference? Do you always substitute the applesauce 1-1?
11 very loved babies in Heaven
elohcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #34
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elohcin View Post
Yes, the gummy texture has definitely been the one consistency the whole time and that's what they hate, especially my DH. My applesauce at home is unsweetened, but it is slightly thicker (just barely) than the storebought one, so I don't imagine that would make too much difference? Do you always substitute the applesauce 1-1?
I substitute it 1 to 1 but I'll add more (or more flour) if the dough/batter consistency doesn't seem right.

Another thing you can do is sub oats for some of the flour- that seems like it might cut down on gumminess.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
deena (04-06-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 07:18 AM   #35
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

To the deep frying question i dont at all, mostly because of the exact thing you said... good oil is far too $ to use in such a large quantity.

I bake all items that could be traditionally deep fried. I brush with coconit oil. It always tirns oit well, plus bonus cause its healthier.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
deena (04-07-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 07:49 AM   #36
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

We use peanut oil for deep frying. No idea if it's healthy, but we only do it a few times a year.
deena (04-07-2016), tempus vernum (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #37
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
We use peanut oil for deep frying. No idea if it's healthy, but we only do it a few times a year.
We rarely deep fry -- thanksgiving and christmas cuz I make green bean casserole (onion rings ). AND sometimes we make homemade tortilla chips Our coconut oil for frying lasts years and years cuz we do it so rarely

We have an epi for peanuts or we would've considered that option cuz it's tasty

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”

Last edited by tempus vernum; 04-08-2016 at 04:16 PM.
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #38
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

You deep fry in coconut oil? Does it leave a coconuty taste?

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:38 AM   #39
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Grass fed tallow is not too expensive, unless you want it kosher or already rendered. I don't deep fry but that's what I'd use if I did.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
deena (04-08-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #40
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
You deep fry in coconut oil? Does it leave a coconuty taste?
Expeller pressed coconut oil has a fairly neutral flavor.

Oil is mentioned multiple times in the Bible (olive oil) for making bread so I have zero concerns about it being unhealthy.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
tempus vernum (04-08-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 02:33 PM   #41
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
Expeller pressed coconut oil has a fairly neutral flavor.

Oil is mentioned multiple times in the Bible (olive oil) for making bread so I have zero concerns about it being unhealthy.
What about it being used in the Bible makes you feel it is healthy? Is it because people ate it in the Bible and God didn't tell them not to? Or do you just feel that because it was so long ago and they made it, it can't be too processed for people to eat? Just curious what your thinking is here.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

Old 04-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #42
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

There are passages (Lev 2 & 6 off the top of my head) where God specifically instructs them to make bread with flour and oil and to eat it. God wouldn't instruct them to do something unhealthy or wrong. So it's not a matter of God not telling them not to but that he specifically instructed it.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #43
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

11'Now this is the law of the sacrifice of peace offerings which shall be presented to the LORD. 12If he offers it by way of thanksgiving, then along with the sacrifice of thanksgiving he shall offer unleavened cakes mixed with oil, and unleavened wafers spread with oil, and cakes of well stirred fine flour mixed with oil. 13'With the sacrifice of his peace offerings for thanksgiving, he shall present his offering with cakes of leavened bread.…

Leviticus 7:12

Numbers 6:15

Thanks for those, Lisa.

I think for me, the issue is quantity, not whether or not it's good for me. I know it *is* good.

I've been cooking with multiple oils in the past few months. I've really enjoyed what I've been able to eat!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #44
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Okay, I can see that. For me I don't necessarily think that means it's a health food, but just out of what they had available at the time that is what he asked them to use a small quantity of. So I would say that just means there are circumstances where eating oil may be the best choice, especially if you don't have a lot of other food available (and I do believe that). If you've made regular bread you know that the quantity of oil in there is quite small compared to what is generally in muffins, cookies, or certainly anything deep fried, so I don't think that means any quantity of oil is okay, just that it is or can be acceptable (or even good) to use some in small quantities in some circumstances. That doesn't rule out the acceptability to the Lord of its use in larger quantities, but it doesn't say it's good, either. And we know he has commanded things in more desperate circumstances that he doesn't condone today in other cases in the Bible.

Since we're not under the law of Moses anymore I certainly am not required to use oil, and because of what science says today I choose not to.

But I can definitely see where you're coming from.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024