Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* You can share recipes here, talk about "what's for dinner," and ask all sorts of questions related to cooking and food preparation.
A public forum.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:58 PM   #16
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What oil is healthiest for baking?

All of my baking is gluten-free and dairy free. The only thing I use olive oil for is banana bread. Everything else I use coconut oil and/or shortening. It's made by spectrum, and I buy it at whole foods. It's actually just called vegetable shortening. I'll try to find find you a link.

What exactly about coconut oil is your daughter finding difficult to work with? I never melted. If I'm worried about clumps, I use electric beaters. Even then, it will still have small clumps, but I've never noticed any ill affects in my baked goods because of it. And I've been doing this for 8 1/2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
Soliloquy (04-08-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 07:59 PM   #17
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
How would I know (apart from trial and error) whether a recipe would substitute applesauce for oil well?

The primary things we bake (all gluten free) are muffins, cakes, cupcakes, cookies, bread, etc. Do these things in general accept the applesauce substitute well?
I have virtually no experience with gluten-free baking, so I don't know the answer to your question for that.

For baking with gluten (which may be the same as without, which is why I mention it at all, but it also might not be the same) , virtually all recipes do fine with applesauce. It's just that there is a difference that you will notice in texture. It is much less (often nonexistant) with cupcakes, cakes, and muffins and completely indistinguishable for bread. Cookies are more hit or miss, which is why I like to use peanut butter in cookies. But some cookies do really well with applesauce. Pumpkin cookies are excellent with applesauce instead of oil. I guess I would say the more fat there is, the more you will notice the difference without it. I've never had anything be inedible or even undesirable without oil, but it's just different. Your mom's chocolate chip cookies aren't going to be her chocolate chip cookies without the oil. They will still be good, but they won't be the same. But like I said cakes and quick breads fare much better. I never make bread with oil and no one can ever tell. In fact most of the fancy pants breads don't even use oil (for the purists, bread can only be flour, water, salt, and yeast) and they are SOOO good!!

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:55 AM   #18
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananacake View Post
All of my baking is gluten-free and dairy free. The only thing I use olive oil for is banana bread. Everything else I use coconut oil and/or shortening. It's made by spectrum, and I buy it at whole foods. It's actually just called vegetable shortening. I'll try to find find you a link.

What exactly about coconut oil is your daughter finding difficult to work with? I never melted. If I'm worried about clumps, I use electric beaters. Even then, it will still have small clumps, but I've never noticed any ill affects in my baked goods because of it. And I've been doing this for 8 1/2 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Her difficultly with using coconut oil is purely the melting point thing. Since we buy it in a huge 5 gallon jug, I separate it in to smaller jars to use. So she has a jar full of rock solid oil. So it's just more difficult to use than the ease of pouring a liquid oil from a bottle in to the recipe. Then sometimes when she is learning a new recipe and going a little slower than usual the oil will resolidify in the mix in chunks. Which is manageable, just not as easy as our pre-worried about toxic oil days when we could use the mainstream choices like vegetable or canola.

How do you not melt your coconut oil? Isn't it naturally in a very rock solid state for you or do you live in a warmer climate where it's softer? Do you just throw the hard chunks in and blend it like that? I've never even tried that.

Butter is similar but not nearly the same issue since it comes in pre-measured sticks so getting the right amount in the solid form is super simple, and it's just a matter of melting and dumping in the mix.

I wonder if there is some way that I could premeasure coconut oil in to the most commonly used measurements while melted and store in those premeasured chunks. That would make the whole process a whole lot easier too!

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynne View Post
I have virtually no experience with gluten-free baking, so I don't know the answer to your question for that.

For baking with gluten (which may be the same as without, which is why I mention it at all, but it also might not be the same) , virtually all recipes do fine with applesauce. It's just that there is a difference that you will notice in texture. It is much less (often nonexistant) with cupcakes, cakes, and muffins and completely indistinguishable for bread. Cookies are more hit or miss, which is why I like to use peanut butter in cookies. But some cookies do really well with applesauce. Pumpkin cookies are excellent with applesauce instead of oil. I guess I would say the more fat there is, the more you will notice the difference without it. I've never had anything be inedible or even undesirable without oil, but it's just different. Your mom's chocolate chip cookies aren't going to be her chocolate chip cookies without the oil. They will still be good, but they won't be the same. But like I said cakes and quick breads fare much better. I never make bread with oil and no one can ever tell. In fact most of the fancy pants breads don't even use oil (for the purists, bread can only be flour, water, salt, and yeast) and they are SOOO good!!
You know, I always knew about subbing applesauce for oil and have even done it a few times, but I forgot again. I think I will have her try this because I love the idea. Especially in things like muffins where that consistency could make them extra delicious.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:53 AM   #19
mipennsn
Rose Garden

mipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond reputemipennsn has a reputation beyond repute

Some of your issues with the coconut oil is our current outside temp. We do have our naturally liquefy sometimes in the summer. ("It is warm in the house. The coconut oil has melted.")
My GIRL H who is 7!

Full time mommy and breadwinner for my family

mipennsn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mipennsn For This Useful Post:
bananacake (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 AM   #20
bananacake
Rose Garden

I Am A BananaCake

bananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond reputebananacake has a reputation beyond repute

Our current house temp is 64-65. My EVCO is not liquid at that temp, but it's not hard as a rock. If I'm making bread, I liquify it.

3 kiddos (16 1/2, 14 & 9)
Praying for semi-son, age 35

I live by the motto: seek first to understand.

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions." Proverbs 18:2
bananacake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bananacake For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 05:32 PM   #21
ViolaMum
Rose Garden

ViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond reputeViolaMum has a reputation beyond repute

I buy the large jugs of coconut oil as well and sometimes store it in smaller mason jars (the jelly size or pint.) Those can easily be put into a a bowl of hot tap water to melt the CO. Alternatively, you can put a chunk in a glass measuring cup and stick that in hot water. I use a 4 cup glass measuring cup for all the wet ingredients when I'm baking because it's easier to measure that way. You can add solid CO to the liquid ingredients and just use the measurements on the cup. I do that in the 4-cup measure because I can use the hand mixer in it as well if I need to to beat everything together. That helps to incorporate the CO.

Also, if you have hot/warm melted co, mixing it into egg yolks helps form an emulsion and prevent the CO from solidifying and therefore clumping. (It's a pretty foolproof technique with melted butter, a little less so with CO.)
Prima, Secunda, Tertia, and Quarta

Youth and Beauty are fleeting, but the ability to bake a great chocolate cake lasts forever!
ViolaMum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ViolaMum For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (03-31-2016), Singingmom (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 06:01 PM   #22
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm glad to be reminded about using applesauce.

Do you bake with white sugar? I'm way more worried about that than I am about oil.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
bananacake (04-01-2016), squiddles (04-01-2016), tempus vernum (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 10:02 AM   #23
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECingMama View Post
I'm glad to be reminded about using applesauce.

Do you bake with white sugar? I'm way more worried about that than I am about oil.
I do bake with white sugar. After the research I have done I do not find sugar to be nearly the threat that oil is. I still try not to use very much sugar. I don't make sweet things often, and when I do I reduce the sugar that is in them by about a third from a standard American recipe (although last month we had three birthdays plus Easter so it was kind-of an exception). I still think people eat way too much sugar, but I do not believe that a low to moderate amount of sugar causes the same damage as a low to moderate amount of oil. A lot of the anti-sugar stuff is inaccurate and not based on science or based on poorly-interpreted science.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
deena (04-02-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #24
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

If oil is less healthy because it is not a whole food, what makes white sugar less damaging? It's very highly processed. Also some oils do contain vitamins, fatty acids and minerals, whereas white sugar offers none.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
bananacake (04-01-2016), squiddles (04-01-2016), tempus vernum (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #25
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I have a friend who bakes with sunflower oil. I know absolutely nothing about it. Any thoughts?
Old 04-01-2016, 01:40 PM   #26
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWithMyBabies View Post
If oil is less healthy because it is not a whole food, what makes white sugar less damaging? It's very highly processed. Also some oils do contain vitamins, fatty acids and minerals, whereas white sugar offers none.
I agree that neither one is good for you and neither one is a whole food- you are absolutely right. But when I look at scientific studies the conclusion I have come to from measuring the effects of both is that oil is more damaging. I do not claim that sugar is a health food and I never would. I eat it because I really, really like the way it tastes. If you want to do the same for oil, then that is okay, too, eat it because you like the way it tastes. But it is not and never will be a health food. Oil decreases the body's response to the insulin it makes (primary problem in type II diabetes, the most common type) It increases the risk for heart disease. It is a risk factor for many cancers. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...5B1F&FORM=VIRE

It is not my desire to get into a debate about it, though. I've looked at the science and I believe oil is worse than sugar. You may have come to a different conclusion. But to be perfectly clear neither one is good for you, and no matter which is worse, a really ideal diet wouldn't include either one. So if you asked me for healthy ways to incorporate sugar into your diet I would say "as little as possible, as infrequently as possible" and I would say the same for oil, except that since I think oil is worse, all the more "as little as possible, as infrequently as possible". For me I do not consume it at all. It is not worth the risk (or the migraines) to me.

married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
deena (04-02-2016), HomeWithMyBabies (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 01:57 PM   #27
HomeWithMyBabies
Rose Garden

HomeWithMyBabies has disabled reputation

Yes I don't want to debate it either. I understand better where you're coming from now, so thank you.
HomeWithMyBabies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeWithMyBabies For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (04-01-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 12:01 AM   #28
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree that neither one is good for you and neither one is a whole food- you are absolutely right. But when I look at scientific studies the conclusion I have come to from measuring the effects of both is that oil is more damaging. I do not claim that sugar is a health food and I never would. I eat it because I really, really like the way it tastes. If you want to do the same for oil, then that is okay, too, eat it because you like the way it tastes. But it is not and never will be a health food. Oil decreases the body's response to the insulin it makes (primary problem in type II diabetes, the most common type) It increases the risk for heart disease. It is a risk factor for many cancers. http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...5B1F&FORM=VIRE

It is not my desire to get into a debate about it, though. I've looked at the science and I believe oil is worse than sugar. You may have come to a different conclusion. But to be perfectly clear neither one is good for you, and no matter which is worse, a really ideal diet wouldn't include either one. So if you asked me for healthy ways to incorporate sugar into your diet I would say "as little as possible, as infrequently as possible" and I would say the same for oil, except that since I think oil is worse, all the more "as little as possible, as infrequently as possible". For me I do not consume it at all. It is not worth the risk (or the migraines) to me.
Thank you so much for this. I find it really fascinating. I'm about to buy the cheapest glucose monitor available for frequent testing. I do wonder how my newest eating plan is affecting me. I feel great, and I'm eating more fat! But I'm actually still a skeptic on whether or not it's good for me!
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
bananacake (04-06-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 04:32 AM   #29
deena
Rose Garden

deena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond reputedeena has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone here ever deep fry? I make homemade french-fries and egg-rolls on occasion and I hate that I have to use vegetable oil. Olive oil is too expensive in that quantity. What do you use?

26, 23, 19, 15, 12, 8, 2, <1
deena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:34 AM   #30
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by deena View Post
Does anyone here ever deep fry? I make homemade french-fries and egg-rolls on occasion and I hate that I have to use vegetable oil. Olive oil is too expensive in that quantity. What do you use?
We do on ocassion. We use a less expensive coconut oil that we get from country life.

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
deena (04-06-2016)