Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:15 AM   #1
Trixie
Rose Blossom

Trixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura about
Default Ring-A-Round-The-Clutter

This is probably a common problem so I wanted to see if anyone had tips on how to combat this. It seems like every time I get one part of the house picked up and decluttered, another part of the house gets beyond messy. Its like a horrible messy game. I spent the better part of the last two days seriously decluttering the two girl bedrooms. While that happened the living room got ridiculously messy. I'm focusing on decluttering and not just picking up so that is helping. Are there any tips to keeping a house organized so I don't just feel like I am chasing piles of stuff around? I am going non-stop from morning to night, but rarely feel like I am able to relax and enjoy because there is always another mess to clean. The kids are pretty good at helping when prompted (mostly), but Spiff is pretty messy. Yesterday I pulled piles of socks out from under the couch and most of them were his. I think its harder to convince the kids to put things away when they are done because they see him leaving stuff every where.

Mother to
David 2006
Sunshine 2007
Dragon 2008
Mario 2009
Happy 2014
Josiah 2015
Sirena 2016
Trixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trixie For This Useful Post:
sunflowermom (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 08:02 AM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ring-A-Round-The-Clutter

We're minimalists here (well as much as you can be with four kids) so I don't know if this idea will be too overwhelming if you have a lot of stuff, but when things are out of control I do what I call a big sort. I go into every room in the house and gather up everything that isn't where it goes. I take it to the living room in laundry baskets and sort it all out into piles- kitchen, office, upstairs, playroom, garage. I have the kids help me take things and put them where they do go. Some things that they can't put up I then put away, and then the whole house is picked up. This usually takes about 20 minutes to complete.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
SalH (11-22-2016), Trixie (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
sunflowermom
Rose Garden

sunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond reputesunflowermom has a reputation beyond repute

I'll along because this is something I struggle with too.

Married my DH in 2/2008
Gave birth my DS 3/2012
sunflowermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping kids out of bedrooms during day or at last not having toys and cluttery things or acivities in there can help.If you are all pretty much in one space or outside during day then there is that main room to keep up with.When my kids were littles they didnt go in bedrooms during the day unless for naps (ha!)and I kept all toys and games in one area of a room for usit was an end of a front room that is supposed to be a more formal sitting room area. It would be ideal to have those in cupboards that can be closed.Also tried to inforce one set being picked up and put back before another st of things came out.Like if they played with Legos they had to be put back nto covered box and back inbefore the dinosaurs and animals came out or whatever. Trying to get everyone on board with throwing things away like wrappers and bringing used dishes into kitchen right away helps also

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mamacat For This Useful Post:
Trixie (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 09:01 AM   #5
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

The absolutely only effective way to manage clutter is to purge, purge, and purge some more. Otherwise you're just moving clutter around and organizing clutter.

I also don't get stuck on a deep clean of any area until the basics of the house are picked up. So my first cleaning task of the day includes a quick sweep of the house, picking up everything that is out of place (and/or assigning to kids). Then I delve in to the deep clean of a particular room.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (11-22-2016), SalH (11-22-2016), Trixie (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #6
Beth1231
Deactivated

Beth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond reputeBeth1231 has a reputation beyond repute

To beat clutter I:
Purge
Put away half of toys that are available and rotate when kids get bored.
For clothes,I watch to see what is actually being worn and put everything else in under the bed bins for emergencies and or strange weather.
I do similar things with dvds,my counter appliances and other extras,bedding that rarely gets used and so in. I either chuck it or put it high up/out of sight.
Then there is only what you truly need to work,play,get dressed etc available and it helps so much!
Beth1231 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beth1231 For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (11-22-2016), Quiteria (11-23-2016), SalH (11-22-2016), sunflowermom (11-22-2016), Trixie (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 05:26 AM   #7
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that has helped me is the book The House That Cleans Itself. It's about setting up your house to make it easier to keep neat...the more effort it takes to put things away or clean, the more people will tend to leave a mess. So, when you see an area that repeatedly tends toward clutter, the book talks about how to problem solve why so that you can make it easier to be neat. There were a whole bunch of posts the year it was published...maybe three years ago? Try searching HTCI as an abbreviation.

Common example: People don't want to get back up to put away dirty socks. They're probably under the couch because that's where he sits to get comfortable. Possible solution might be tucking a small wastebasket next to the couch as a mini-hamper for socks. Another option is adding one near the door so they can be peeled off when the shoes are taken off, but that involves either doing that standing up or the extra step of sitting on a bench and getting back up...so less likely than finding a solution in the living room. The path of least effort is usually the one with best compliance.

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.

Last edited by Quiteria; 11-23-2016 at 05:37 AM.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (11-23-2016), Llee (11-23-2016), sunflowermom (11-23-2016), Trixie (11-23-2016)
Old 11-23-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
greengirl19
Rose Trellis

For G

greengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond reputegreengirl19 has a reputation beyond repute

I feel like some part of the house being a disaster area is part of my job description with 3 little boys. I'm working on purging everything. And setting things up so they don't accumulate clutter, ie removing clutter landing spaces.

Mom to G since 8/10/09 my crazy 10 yo
Z since 9/10/13 my wild thing 6 yo
Surprise! N born 2/8/16 terrific 4 yo

*my help comes from the Lord above*
greengirl19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greengirl19 For This Useful Post:
Trixie (11-23-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 12:45 AM   #9
ChristmasGirl
Rose Garden

love~joy~peace

ChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond reputeChristmasGirl has a reputation beyond repute

When my kids were younger i used to say that only one level of my house is ever clean lol.

It does get easier! Hope you find some good solutions!

❀married to my sweetie for 26 years
❀mom to Lizzie 24 and Eli 20
ChristmasGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ChristmasGirl For This Useful Post:
Trixie (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 01:46 AM   #10
mummy2boys
Moderator in We'd Love to Meet You, Let's Talk, High Need/Spirited Children, Joyous Homekeeping, and The Cookbook

mummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond reputemummy2boys has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to declutter one room totally at a time. Am trying to be more minimalistic but the rest of the house don't agree
Waiting to meet 3 in heaven 2/2005, 5/2007 & 8/2011
Striving, with God's help, to be a gentle mother each day
mummy2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mummy2boys For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (11-25-2016), Trixie (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 07:44 AM   #11
Trixie
Rose Blossom

Trixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura aboutTrixie has a spectacular aura about

The clutter has been a bit less pervasive the past few days. I've purged 4 large garbage bags worth of stuff and have 2 more bagged and ready to go. My next big decluttering will be our bedroom which I am looking forward to. I don't like my room always being the dumping ground for everything. Hopefully getting the rest of the house under control will help. I am still having problems with the shoe bench. We have a bench by the front door with shelves for shoes. I limit the kids to one pair of dress shoes and one pair regular shoes because that will fit in their place. Spiff takes up 1/3 of the space by himself and still has several pairs thrown in front of the cabinet. He gets upset if I take the excess to our room because it isn't handy as he is trying to rush out the door for work. I probably need to find out which pairs he wants to keep and relocate the rest. Whenhis shoes are on the floor the kids don't put their shoes away either.
My other issue is laundry. When I get in declutter mode the laundry piles up. I need to keep up folding and putting away.

Thanks for the ideas. I still have a lot of purging to do then I can focus on keeping things organized.

Mother to
David 2006
Sunshine 2007
Dragon 2008
Mario 2009
Happy 2014
Josiah 2015
Sirena 2016
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trixie For This Useful Post:
Beth1231 (11-26-2016), mamacat (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 10:36 AM   #12
Quiteria
Rose Garden

Quiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond reputeQuiteria has a reputation beyond repute

Can you give him an extra basket or crate or something near that cabinet? Or at least still downstairs somewhere?

Homeschooling mama to five:
a young adult (graduated!), two high schoolers, a big kid, and a kindergartner

And yes, they've all aged overnight since the last time you read my out-of-date sigg.
Quiteria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Quiteria For This Useful Post:
Trixie (11-28-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #13
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

several of us enjoyed a read through together of A House That Cleans Itself a few years ago. it had a lot of great ideas.

I'm doing my seasonal decluttering as well and I find that I have to keep in mind that the house looks worse before it looks better, or set a timer to make sure I have time and energy to straighten the areas that are still important to me to look good every day.

It would be better if I could do the decluttering regularly but with a large family it seems people bring in or create clutter and then I find it later
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
rjy9343 (11-25-2016), Trixie (11-28-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 05:51 PM   #14
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

And I do think it's important to remember that you are in a difficult season of life. Life with littles is very time consuming. My house is very much under control and orderly right now, BUT my littlest is 7. I didn't always have this much time to dedicate to maintaining the house. It's ok and a season of life.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
MaybeGracie (11-25-2016), Quiteria (11-25-2016), Trixie (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 01:01 PM   #15
Trixie
Rose Blossom

I've been giving myself some slack about some of the clutter while I am getting things in order. For instance, I am not worrying about the empty boxes in the hallway until I am sure I won't need them to store things as my room gets worked on. I'm disciplining myself more which is making it easier to direct the kids. It also makes it more tolerable to help pick up after Spiff. Honestly its easier to pick up a few socks and shoes than nag. I am blessing him without him increasing it! I also put a laundry basket in the bathroom to corral clothing taken off at bath time. It keeps the floor clean and once a week or so I can direct everyone to take their own clothes to their bedroom.

I've found taking breaks is actually helping. I've been following a pattern of declutter, laundry, break and it makes it seem to come together quicker without letting the laundry pile up.

Decorating for Christmas hasn't been a big stressful messy event it normally is. It took me very little time to pull down all the old decorations and put up most of the Christmas stuff. It even gave me a built in need to declutter and clean a few surfaces! The boxes are still out since we haven't decorated the tree, but they are regulated to the shoe bench until we get it done. Then the boxes will go right back to the storage area. I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and it is giving me hope.

Quote:
And I do think it's important to remember that you are in a difficult season of life. Life with littles is very time consuming. My house is very much under control and orderly right now, BUT my littlest is 7. I didn't always have this much time to dedicate to maintaining the house. It's ok and a season of life.
I understand and appreciate the sentiment, but I'm at a season of life where it is time to be more organized. I am not working full time so I am home more and I want to enjoy my home. I notice how badly visual clutter changes my mood and makes things more hectic. Sunshine has been begging to have her new friend spend the night and I am glad that I can say yes without being embarrassed at the state of the house. I feel like I finally have some time and energy to work towards the life I want and that definitely includes a clean house. Plus it doesn't require any money so it is something I can work on while we get our finances in order. It is nice to be reminded that it doesn't have to be perfect, and that this will be an ongoing task.

Mother to
David 2006
Sunshine 2007
Dragon 2008
Mario 2009
Happy 2014
Josiah 2015
Sirena 2016
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trixie For This Useful Post:
Quiteria (11-28-2016), sunflowermom (11-30-2016)