Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 07-01-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
Dtswife
Rose Bouquet

Dtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond repute
Default No waffle, no "coffee"

Is requiring a two and a half year old to eat a toaster waffle that she BEGGED for and NEEDED with CREAM CHEESE!!! before she has her "coffee" (milk with a touch of strawberry syrup) unreasonable? She's very verbal; she understands what the if/then process is.

Married since May 2010 to DT
Mama to Zoe 8/1/13
Baby number two due May 17th 2015

Dtswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
saturnfire16
Rose Garden

saturnfire16 has disabled reputation
Default Re: No waffle, no "coffee"

Being very verbal is not the same as the logic required to understand if/then. I've had 3 very verbal 2 year olds, and I know it's really hard not to think of them as older than they are.

Setting up food battles is a way to set them up with issues around food for life. I wouldn't make her eat it. She might truly not be hungry. Or maybe what she thought sounded appealing in the moment, doesn't look so good now that she sees it. Adults have that happen too.

Wife to D
Mama to:
E 12/05
L 7/08
Z 12/10
A 6/14
and J in heaven 2/10

Torah Keeping, Unschooling Family

My blog on unschooling and family life: Peace On Dark Nights.
saturnfire16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saturnfire16 For This Useful Post:
Johns_Gal (07-01-2014), MercyInDisguise (07-01-2014), Pragmatist (07-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #3
Dtswife
Rose Bouquet

Dtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond reputeDtswife has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to make her eat it, but I don't think I'm going to make the drink either. She doesn't want any food, so while the milk with strawberry wood be ok if she had the cream cheese in her tummy to slow down the sugar, she'll be a crazy person......

I want to be the fun auntie, but she's with me and mom so much, I feel like I have to be a parent figure.

Mama to Zoe 8/1/13

Old 07-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #4
Hermana Linda
Administrator

"air-mannah Leen-dah" it means Sister Linda in Spanish

Hermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond reputeHermana Linda has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good reason not to make the drink. She could have the milk alone or maybe she will want the waffle later.

Sent from my mobile device by Tapatalk

My pages:
Why Not Train A Child? and the FB Page as well as @WhyNotTrain on Twitter
Read about how my husband was Pulled From The River By God
Hermana Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hermana Linda For This Useful Post:
Dtswife (07-01-2014), MercyInDisguise (07-01-2014), Ramee151 (07-01-2014), Virginia (07-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 09:24 AM   #5
Little Forest
Rose Garden

Rich in girls.

Little Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Forest has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she is thirsty, or more thirsty than hungry?

I don't understand why she could have the waffle and drink but not just the drink or the drink before the waffle.

Mind you, I would not make the milk too sugary at any rate. The protein and fat in the milk slow down the sugar absorption in the bloodstream too.

Do her parents have any such policy on her eating and drinking?
Posted via Mobile Device
Little Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Dtswife
Rose Bouquet

Because the drink is special and she isn't allowed to have it all the time or before she has food of some kind. Yogurt, waffle, whatever, food before special drink.

She has water available to her all the time in a sippy cup.

I don't know what my sister's policy is. We don't really hang out together that much.

She ended up eating the waffle.

Mama to Zoe 8/1/13

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dtswife For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-01-2014), Virginia (07-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #7
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

I think there are two issues - do you give her the milk/"coffee" AND should she be able to understand.

As to the first - totally your call and I think whatever you decide to do is fine

If you decide to give it to her it's fine If you decide not to, it might give you a chance to reflect feelings and help her learn to name and own her feelings, or she might be fine and that's great too

As to the second, she is too young to be expected to really understand, but it can be good to share your reasons very simply and matter of factly.

Instead of choices I did a lot of "first X, then Y." So like "you can have your drink after you eat your waffle. Eat your waffle." (I consider these great opportunities to speak with words of logic so that as they develop pre-logic and then logic they start to understand what you've been doing and they already have the language )
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Hermana Linda (07-01-2014), melissa5317 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #8
Dtswife
Rose Bouquet

We did that. When your waffle is gone, I will make your coffee. . . Waffle, then coffee...... when your tummy is full of waffle, you can have pink coffee...... all interspersed by "NO! COFFEE NOW!"
Followed by me: "I know. Pink coffee is so yummy. But waffle first."

Mama to Zoe 8/1/13

Last edited by Dtswife; 07-01-2014 at 11:47 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dtswife For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-01-2014), momzilla76 (07-12-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

When I do offer treats, my quota for nourishing food has already been met so I don't fret. Like eh, you ate an avocado and chicken... sure, you can have a sorbet. At that age though, no treats with qualifiers. Either the kid can have it right then or I don't even mention it.

If she was accustomed to it, I would just do it and move on. Not my kid, not my problem. I'm not his/her parent and if that's how her family does it, I'm not going to change it up on a 2.5 year old.
melissa5317 (07-02-2014), Sparrow (07-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:44 AM   #10
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

gotta love the wee ones contribution to those discussions

I often had to remind myself that the best way to deal with them in those moments are the way I would deal with a drunk adult - can't reason with them, can't expect them to have logic, just tell them what we're doing and insist they do it (for example, pry keys out of their hand and stuff them into the backseat ).

Glad she ate the waffle sounds like you handled it great
Dtswife (07-01-2014), Johns_Gal (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #11
Johns_Gal
Rose Garden

Johns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond reputeJohns_Gal has a reputation beyond repute

Drunk adult. That is the most horribly perfect analogy for a cranky toddler.

Just be quiet and here's a deceptively nourishing muffin. We're leaving. Where are mama's earplugs?
Dtswife (07-01-2014), momzilla76 (07-12-2014), Virginia (07-02-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
Dtswife
Rose Bouquet

She may not be my child, but I love her very much and when she is here, she is my problem and responsibility.
It wasn't offered. She asked.

I don't know for sure what her family does. I know brother-in-law doesn't care and gives her snickers for breakfast sometimes. Idk what my sister's at home policy is.

She's here at the store 3 days a week. This is more like being at home for her than a fun visit to Grandma and aunt Chelse.

I use her as a GBD test pilot.

Lol, drunk person is a great description! Love it!

Mama to Zoe 8/1/13

The Following User Says Thank You to Dtswife For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (07-01-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #13
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

Sounds like she responds really well to your boundaries and I bet she feels really safe when she's with you

One of the things I love about gentle discipline is the opportunity to give the children who are in my life - even those not mine - tools they can use to navigate the rest of their world. If I share with a child the idea of taking a break, or even just reflect and name their feelings, that is something that they can remember when they are back in their every day and something happens. It can show them there is another way than what they usually experience (whatever that is). I think it's empowering for them
Dtswife (07-01-2014), rjy9343 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #14
rjy9343
Rose Garden

rjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond reputerjy9343 has a reputation beyond repute

You are in a strange position. You aren't quite the aunt, but not the quite the parent either. I am in that place with my niece and nephew. It is a very hard line to walk, but it does pay off in spades. My niece is nine and my nephew is eight, both children trust me and like to be around me. They believe me to be safe person and have chosen to let me be a part of their lives because I did a lot of what you are doing now.
Verbal does not mean understanding. My daughter spoke in complete sentences before her second birthday, but that did not mean she grasped what she said. It was really frustrating because she sounded and reasoned like a five year old, but had the emotional maturity of a two year old. It is still irritating at times to treat her like she is her age because she sounds like she is in elementary school when she speaks. The child has not even reached kindergarten.

Wife to my brilliant geek James iNtJ since 4/08
Mom to our angel boy Jay 5/08 our quirky miracle DD Ivy 6/10
mellow miracle DS Jacob 7/15
Often Please forgive my frequent typos

Standing firmly on Team Lioness!!! Roar!!!
I am ready for people to know I am a GCM find me on Facebook

Last edited by rjy9343; 07-06-2014 at 07:20 PM.
rjy9343 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rjy9343 For This Useful Post:
Dtswife (07-02-2014), Johns_Gal (07-03-2014), saturnfire16 (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #15
OatsandBran11
Rosebud

OatsandBran11 is a jewel in the roughOatsandBran11 is a jewel in the roughOatsandBran11 is a jewel in the roughOatsandBran11 is a jewel in the rough

Have you been around her pretty consistently when she was born? Other people's 2-year-olds always seemed older to me, but now that I have my own, I am more aware of her limitations.