Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #1
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

JoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really nice
Default Unused room

So...this is weird. For the last three years or so, we haven't really used the living room. Except for Christmas. Yes. Weird. Everyone here spends time in the kitchen or in their own rooms. Dh and I have chairs and a tv in our bedroom. So we congregate there. We usually use the living room to put up the tree and then on Christmas morning it is used. Other than that, no. It's very small, 9x12, so not much space.

My kitchen is super cramped and I feel like we can't turn around in there as it is. I'm considering just making the living room into a dining room. What do you all think? We dont entertain and when someone does stop by, we sit at the table.
Here's a pic of my sad living room.

Amy
Happy & blessed wife for 24 yrs.
Joyful mom to five girls, and one boy.
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7
JoyfulMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #2
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unused room

I think that would work if you're not using your living room.

Would knocking down a wall and making the whole thing into one large room work? I love houses with a kitchen/dining/family room.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

There's a blog that's not active anymore but they turned their living room into a dining room. Young House Love, I don't have the link it might just be younghouselove .com but I don't know. You should look over there if you're not sure it can work. Is the couch the only furniture in the room? I have a friend who has a living room that looks very similar and they use theirs as a sort of office.

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
ValiantJoy07
Rose Garden

"Take Joy Home, And make a place in thy great heart for her...Joy is the grace we say to God." ~Jean Ingelow~

ValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond reputeValiantJoy07 has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering that as well, a way to make it more "open concept" to the kitchen at all possible?
Homeschooling Mama to my 5 Joys...
dd1 RJ (12/07), dd2 AJ (08/09), dd3 PJ (01/12), ds1 Ziggy (09/15), ds2 Sunny (05/18)
Enjoying a Healing Diet to manage SPD and other health challenges.
Sorry for the typos and sloppy grammar I don't have a good excuse anymore.
ValiantJoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #5
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

JoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really niceJoyfulMom is just really nice
Default Unused room

Dh says its a retaining wall (I think that's what he called it?) so we couldn't knock it out. That was my first thought. He wants to turn it into a bedroom. We don't need another bedroom.
I need s p a c e. I feel cramped and it stresses me out when everyone is at home on the weekends. (College kids and sometimes their friends + everyone that still lives at home.

I will look for the blog you mentioned. It's sad to me. We have FOUR tvs. It stupid really. When #4 came along he would not sleep with out tv (still won't). When he was diagnosed with autism, I understood why he never slept with out it. So, it's a bad habit we can't get rid of. I've tried everything. He will not sleep with out it. If I get up and turn it off while he's sleeping, I get up to find he got up and turned it back on during the night. So, each of the bedrooms have a tv now.

I told Dh last week that I wish we could go back to the way things were before autism. It changed everything. That sounds bad when I read it. What I mean is, I wish I knew how to parent differently back then. We knew nothing about autism and what we were creating by giving in. We didn't have anyone to guide us KWIM? I feel like we are just a weird family that no one gets.

Amy
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7

Last edited by JoyfulMom; 02-04-2015 at 09:48 AM. Reason: for typos and adding content
Old 02-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

So right now the table where you eat is either in the kitchen or ust off the kitchen in a nook? I would totally make that your dining room then and leave the piano in there too.If there is an alcove off the kitchen where table is now you culd even move the sofa there to make an area for reading or whatever

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
mamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:46 AM   #7
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

Had to get on the desktop so I can participate better.

The living room has:
the sofa, a coffee table, a small table and chair set for the little kids (they rarely use it, so I'm considering getting rid of it), a piano, a book shelf and another little shelf that holds a tv for the wii.

The table is in my small kitchen and takes up most of the space in the kitchen. Once it's clean, I'll try to remember to snap a pic and share.
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7

Last edited by JoyfulMom; 02-04-2015 at 09:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:02 AM   #8
sara1215
Rose Blossom

This is my story

sara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to beholdsara1215 is a splendid one to behold

That seems like it would make a perfect dining room!
Old 02-04-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
mamacat
Rose Garden

mamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond reputemamacat has a reputation beyond repute

Would most def move the table in there then and just take out the sofa and coffee table and the little table if you dont use it.Is there a wall in itchen where little table cpuld go in case kids want to be in there while you are?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 02-04-2015, 11:05 AM   #10
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

Pretty sure it's a go, now that I feel better about not having an actual living room.

Yes, the kid sizes table can go on the kitchen for the littles.

Amy

---------- Post added at 12:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 AM ----------

The dining area of the kitchen.

Amy
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7
Old 02-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #11
purple_kangaroo
Rose Garden

purple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond reputepurple_kangaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Hubby and I were just talking about how we never use our dining room and don't envision ever actually using it to eat in on a regular basis (we have a giant dining table in our kitchen, that's not over carpet). So we want to make our dining room into a sitting room/living area. LOL.

Seeking truth and understanding.

I have 4 precious children: A (born Feb 2001), M (June 2002), E (Aug 2005) and N (Dec 2013). AMEN!
purple_kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #12
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I would totally turn your living room into a dining room! Plus thats so easy - if you end up not liking it, its easy to go back. Doo it! Do it today! (Unless you already did it yesterday!)
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #13
mamacat
Rose Garden

From looking at size of table seems like may even be able to leave couch in that other room and get rid of coffee table?Is that white appliance in one corner a freezer?

Mama to 5:

C
W
C
J
S
And Grandma to 3:

A ,K and baby C
Old 02-06-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
marbles
Rose Garden

Our Family

marbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond reputemarbles has a reputation beyond repute

I think that will look great! You could switch them even, put the couch in the kitchen oh unless that's a door?

mom to 13 year old the Girl
and 11 year old the Boy
and 8 year old Tiny

Almost always posting from my phone.

marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marbles For This Useful Post:
ECingMama (02-06-2015)
Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #15
JoyfulMom
Rose Bouquet

We haven't done it yet (I'm having a fibromyalgia flare )
Yes that's a freezer.

Amy
Breanna~18
Madison~16
Christopher~12
Emma Grace~10
Jenna Kate~7