Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > Joyous Homekeeping *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Joyous Homekeeping *Public* A public forum.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #31
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

"You are on the path...exactly where you are meant to be."

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you have read Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

My dh is reading it and I've listened to a bunch of interviews about it as well as snippets from dh as he reads. Last night we finished with most of our office supplies. I'm not doing the kids' art or office-y supplies yet, so pulled out all the crayons and markers and things that were in with our things and put them in a box to do later. Dd1's closet was packed full of boxes from before we moved to this house and now it's halfway done! I knew there were a bunch of office supplies in those boxes so I had to get them out and did!

Books will be later in our game than she recommends because they are one of the hardest things for us to get rid of. On Saturday we started our clothes, but a bunch were dirty so we'll have to finish them today or tomorrow.

I'm feeling so incredibly thankful for having a relatively small house right now. As scattered as our categories are, at least there's not a dozen rooms for them to be spread out into!

---------- Post added at 11:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 AM ----------

Oh! For items that you need, I don't know what Ms. Kondo recommends, but my thinking has always been, "How often do I use this?" and if you use it pretty often (or you enjoy using it for something special - like I use my potato ricer for sweet potato pies and I love making them so it brings me joy too) then of course you should keep it.

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
BarefootBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-23-2015), Delaluz (02-23-2015), Hopetobe (02-23-2015), JoyfulMom (02-23-2015), TraceMama (03-04-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #32
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

BarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond reputeBarefootBetsy has a reputation beyond repute

This was a good article about what to do, decluttering-wise, if you're creative, DIYer, homesteader, or a prepper (or all of the above). It references the Konmari method from the book and adapts it for those of us who aren't single 20-somethings I think that could be very applicable to parenting and homeschooling things as well.

http://www.rootsimple.com/2015/02/de-cluttering-for-diyers-homesteaders-artists-preppers-etc/#more-18000

Unless explicitly stated otherwise, any views or opinions presented in the above posts are solely those of BarefootBetsy, the GCM member, and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone else in the entire world.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Delaluz (02-23-2015), ECingMama (03-01-2015), knitlove (02-23-2015), Lady TS (03-02-2015), TraceMama (03-04-2015)
Old 02-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #33
Delaluz
Seedling Rose

Delaluz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootBetsy View Post
This was a good article about what to do, decluttering-wise, if you're creative, DIYer, homesteader, or a prepper (or all of the above). It references the Konmari method from the book and adapts it for those of us who aren't single 20-somethings I think that could be very applicable to parenting and homeschooling things as well.

http://www.rootsimple.com/2015/02/de...tc/#more-18000
Great! I'm going to check it out too!
Delaluz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delaluz For This Useful Post:
JoyfulMom (02-23-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #34
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

So, we've done clothes and office supplies and I guess books/papers are next

Since starting we've donated a good five or six trash bags of stuff and thrown away about as much trash Our house is 1200sq/ft so not a lot of space to declutter at least. Our bedroom looks SO MUCH BETTER already

The Following User Says Thank You to BarefootBetsy For This Useful Post:
Aerynne (02-28-2015)
Old 02-28-2015, 08:39 PM   #35
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

That's great! We've done a lot but right now we are experiencing the Lifechanging Magic of Not Being Able To Park In Your Own Garage Even If It Is Snowing Because Of The Stuff That You've Listed On Craigslist But Hasn't Sold Yet So It Is Just Sitting There Sticking Its Proverbial Tongue Out At Your Wet Snowy Vehicle When You Are Not Looking.

In all sincerity, though, I am liking the results INSIDE our house very much. I just got a little sidetracked in that I had to inventory all our kids' clothes and shoes (this is, or was, 36 boxes of clothes and shoes, all organized by size and gender, that takes up a wall of my garage, but is not the reason I can't park in there). I did that yesterday and today, and found a ton to sell.

I've actually sold quite a bit- 2 desks, a dresser, some end tables, a door, some shelves. I've made some money but not a whole lot. Going to do a yard sale with my neighbor in a few weeks here. I think I'm feeling brave enough to let the baby clothes go.

Most of our toys and books are packed up. We don't miss them. Dd1 says she's happier with less stuff and ds1 doesn't care either way. And they didn't have a whole lot of personal possessions to begin with. We're still somewhat in limbo mode here, though, even 2 weeks after our big move out. I don't want to be in a hurry to bring stuff back into our lives- I think I'll bring back too much that way.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (02-28-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 05:09 AM   #36
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm up to #16 for the hold list.

Luckily, we can both park in the garage with this weather so its not a rush.
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #37
SillyMommy
Climbing Rose

SillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond reputeSillyMommy has a reputation beyond repute

I love this thread! I don't have time to read paper books these days - I mostly read while the baby is napping on me so I use my kindle or phone. So I might give the youtube version a go.

DH got me The House That Cleans Itself for Christmas but I got stuck at "look at the room and figure out why it is messy" LOL

Part of my issue is that this house is not home - we are renting. Lease is up in Sept and we may or may not buy (depending on finances) so there are things that don't really work in this house but they MAY work in our next one, yk?

When we moved I purged SO much. But of course we have re-accumulated junk. I think my issue is less needing to get rid of things and more needing to organize them and figure out how to get the kids to keep them picked up...
and Mommy to R1 (12) T3, R2 (8.6) T4, R3 (6.9) T1 and R4 (13m)
PaperbackSwap | Goodreads

SillyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SillyMommy For This Useful Post:
RiverRock (03-01-2015)
Old 03-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #38
nursesarah
Seedling Rose

nursesarah is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of decluttering by category. I think I need to start doing this.

My biggest problem with decluttering is that weve moved twice in two years and have stuff still in boxes, so I don't actually know what I have. Part of me is tempted to just donate the boxes because if we haven't used the stuff in them in a year, do we really need it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nursesarah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nursesarah For This Useful Post:
Delaluz (03-01-2015), SillyMommy (03-01-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #39
Aerynne
Rose Garden

Aerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond reputeAerynne has a reputation beyond repute

I totally get that temptation.

SillyMommy, I wouldn't worry about the fact that you won't be there forever. None of us knows how long we will be anywhere. Things happen. Your home is home for now, and you should make it so you can feel comfortable there.

born of water and of the Spirit 4/96
married 5/02

Mama to:

Jan 2, 2024

And many I hope to hold in heaven one day
Aerynne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerynne For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-02-2015), ReadingMommy (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #40
ECingMama
Rose Garden

ECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond reputeECingMama has a reputation beyond repute

Did she mention how lovely it is to have an empty shelf?

I have many empty drawers and a couple of empty shelves.

Knowing that I've chosen to keep them empty brings peace (I do need a drawer or the top of the furniture).

I liked this review/comments.

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2015/02...of-tidying-up/

I still prefer House That Cleans Itself. I loved the blog post Barefoot Betsy shared.
12 DS mountain biker and 5 DD calico critter and dolly mommy
12/2014 8/2015 11/2015 9/2016
ECingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ECingMama For This Useful Post:
BarefootBetsy (03-02-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 10:39 AM   #41
BarefootBetsy
Rose Garden

I liked that blog post! I heard in a podcast that the anthropomorphism is a cultural thing And I'm a huge believer of take what works and ignore the rest with organizing/decluttering methods so those oddities don't bother me.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #42
TraceMama
Rose Garden

TraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond reputeTraceMama has a reputation beyond repute

I'm on a long list of people waiting to get it from the library.

I am determined to be invincible until He has finished His purpose in me.
TraceMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:46 PM   #43
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I like the way Carol Tuttle states it. Don't buy something unless you LOVE it. (Non-necessities, obviously.) I'm in the store, I see a piece of clothing that is probably T4 but I'm so I do not buy it, even if it's on super mega clearance for $3, marked-down from $300, famous label, good quality, etc.

I broke my own rule a few weeks ago. Some pots were on clearance and I needed pots for the cuttings I'm propagating. So I bought them even though I didn't love them. Now, every time I look at those pots I think, "I wish I had waited until I had the money to buy the full price pots that I loved, rather than these that I don't really like."

These pots will go to goodwill as soon as the plants need repotting.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
ArmsOfLove (04-12-2015), FaithnPraise (07-26-2015), TraceMama (03-04-2015)
Old 04-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #44
twoplustwo

twoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond reputetwoplustwo has a reputation beyond repute

This book is finally waiting for me at the library. Ill pick it up sometime this week!
Cherished (dd, 12/2005)
Warrior (ds, 07/2007)

saved & baptized (2004)
Simon Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” Matthew 16:16
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to twoplustwo For This Useful Post:
FaithnPraise (07-26-2015)
Old 04-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #45
ArmsOfLove
Rose Garden

ArmsOfLove has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I like the way Carol Tuttle states it. Don't buy something unless you LOVE it. (Non-necessities, obviously.) I'm in the store, I see a piece of clothing that is probably T4 but I'm so I do not buy it, even if it's on super mega clearance for $3, marked-down from $300, famous label, good quality, etc.

I broke my own rule a few weeks ago. Some pots were on clearance and I needed pots for the cuttings I'm propagating. So I bought them even though I didn't love them. Now, every time I look at those pots I think, "I wish I had waited until I had the money to buy the full price pots that I loved, rather than these that I don't really like."

These pots will go to goodwill as soon as the plants need repotting.
yes yes yes

I've been learning this

It is so true

Also, I have stopped buying only the cheap thing and when i *can* afford the nicer one I really love I get it. Or I watch and wait for it to go on sale - or try to find it somewhere else I can afford it.
ArmsOfLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArmsOfLove For This Useful Post:
Hannah Elise (04-12-2015), Soliloquy (07-26-2015)