Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Blessing our Family > The Cookbook (Recipes, Cooking, & Food Prep) *Public* > Pressure Cooker Recipes *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Old 02-24-2020, 08:48 PM   #16
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Instant pot Questions

^^

I don't even use the pre-programmed functions. I use manual every single time.

jasmine rice, 8 minutes
quiona, 4 minutes
broth, 2 hours
pot roast, 90 minutes
wild rice, 30 minutes

Oh, and it's great for hard boiled eggs, if you make those. The peels come off so well compared to stove top boiling. IIRC it's 8 minutes and you use the rack and an inch of water.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-24-2020), mariposa (02-26-2020), SewingGreenMama (02-25-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #17
knitlove
Rose Garden

knitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond reputeknitlove has a reputation beyond repute

I also only use the Manuel setting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
How do I have a teenager?! I don't feel ready for this.
knitlove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knitlove For This Useful Post:
SewingGreenMama (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #18
heartofjoy

Assign positive intent

heartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond reputeheartofjoy has a reputation beyond repute

On mine, the presets change. So if you mostly do chicken and you like it at 24 minutes or whatever, when you hit the poultry button, you can change it to 24 minutes and next time you use it, it'll be at 24. That's kind of cool.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Llee (02-25-2020), mariposa (02-26-2020), SewingGreenMama (02-25-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 11:47 AM   #19
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartofjoy View Post
On mine, the presets change. So if you mostly do chicken and you like it at 24 minutes or whatever, when you hit the poultry button, you can change it to 24 minutes and next time you use it, it'll be at 24. That's kind of cool.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
On my newer one, it remembers the last setting used. On my older one, it doesn't. I think that's how I got into the habit of using manual.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
heartofjoy (02-26-2020), mariposa (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #20
mariposa
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

A picture of me taken by J. :)

mariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Just agreeing with everyone. Definitely do the 6 qt. And yea, you can do multiple things but honestly, that's more of an infommercial thing. Like when they show these gadgets that *can* do a million different things but for the most part people tend to not use them that way. So yea.... you can.... but I've never actually wanted or needed to.
Cooking (planning, prepping, preparing) is not one of my favorite things (yet eating fresh, healthy food is). And I'm not great in the kitchen...I tend to be messy and forgot important steps, so thanks for the reminder about the infomercial-like hype around the IP!

I joined the IP group on FB and now my feed is filled with pics of cheesecake and yogurt.

wife to R
mama to J (10-07)
mariposa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mariposa For This Useful Post:
2sunshines (02-27-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 02:22 PM   #21
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

I don't understand making desserts in an IP. Why?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
mariposa (02-26-2020), mommychem (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #22
Llee

Dancing stands with all seahorses who are journeying to freedom

Llee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond reputeLlee has a reputation beyond repute

The cheesecake is really good. So is the lava cake.

Lead the children to see in every pleasant and beautiful thing an expression of God's love for them. Recommend your religion to them by its pleasantness.
Let the law of kindness be in your lips.
~Ellen G. White

Llee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Llee For This Useful Post:
mariposa (02-26-2020), mommychem (02-26-2020), Soliloquy (02-26-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 03:18 PM   #23
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

But is it any better than those items baked in an oven? That's what I'm curious about. It seems like so much more hassle to bake a cake in an IP compared to an oven. I use my IP because it's so convenient and easy. I must be missing something.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

I think the only cake pan I have that would fit would be a single layer, 9-inch round. Would that even fit? In my regular oven I can bake 2 layers, a springform, a brownie pan, etc. It doesn't seem any easier or more convenient to use an IP for a dessert.

Also, I'm not big on desserts, anyway. I don't get excited about cheescake or lava cake. But I do make them for other people. Usually parties. So I need a large size because if I'm making dessert, I'm probably bringing it to a party.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #24
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I don't understand making desserts in an IP. Why?
Never understood this either. It seems it would be almost single serve (maybe serve 4 at the most but we have six so ). And seems like there are more pans and more prep than necessary for a smaller serving.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:27 PM   #25
mariposa
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

mariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond reputemariposa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping it will be helpful with situations like tonight...
I needed to cook a 16 bean soup for dinner. But because there's an Ash Wednesday service tonight and I wasn't home for enough time to cook them on the stove, I'm using the crock pot on high so we can eat when we get home. If I had an IP, then we could have eaten before the service.

wife to R
mama to J (10-07)
The Following User Says Thank You to mariposa For This Useful Post:
knitlove (02-26-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 05:07 AM   #26
2sunshines
Moderator in Celebrations, Cloth Diapering & EC, Empty Arms, Prayer & Praise, and Swap n' Shop

2sunshines has disabled reputation

I actually make cheesecake regularly in the IP. It's quicker and easier than in the oven. And although it does make a small cheesecake (the recipe takes 16 oz cream cheese), it is such a rich cheesecake that honestly, even with my family of 6 we sometimes have leftovers. It's one of those delicious rich cheesecakes that you can really only eat a small piece of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposa View Post
I'm hoping it will be helpful with situations like tonight...
I needed to cook a 16 bean soup for dinner. But because there's an Ash Wednesday service tonight and I wasn't home for enough time to cook them on the stove, I'm using the crock pot on high so we can eat when we get home. If I had an IP, then we could have eaten before the service.
Yep. Quick and last minute is the specialty of IP. It has let me still feel like a fantastic well prepared mom even on those days that I forget even thinking about dinner until shortly before dinner time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sunshines For This Useful Post:
mariposa (02-27-2020), mommychem (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #27
mariposa
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sunshines View Post
Yep. Quick and last minute is the specialty of IP. It has let me still feel like a fantastic well prepared mom even on those days that I forget even thinking about dinner until shortly before dinner time.
I have A LOT of those days that I forget even thinking about dinner until shortly before dinner time!

I probably won't attempt yogurt, but I am curious about the egg bites people are posting. I like the egg bites from Starbucks, and so does ds. A quick breakfast with protein would be great for busy mornings.

wife to R
mama to J (10-07)
Old 02-27-2020, 02:31 PM   #28
mommychem
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

Butterfly on my face :)

mommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond reputemommychem has a reputation beyond repute

I made yogurt twice in my older pot before I had one with a yogurt button. The first time was amazing. The second time, I must’ve done something wrong because the texture was not right. I haven’t tried with the yogurt button yet. I make the egg bites. They are yummy. I didn't buy special equipment. I just happened to have silicon muffin cups and cooked them in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommychem For This Useful Post:
mariposa (02-27-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 03:28 PM   #29
mariposa
Rose Trellis
I support GCM!

Okay, I'm ready to buy an instant pot.
Target has a 6 quart Duo Nova for $30 off ($75 with tax). BB&B had a 6 quart Duo Evo on sale and I had a coupon (It would have been $75ish), but the sale is over. I could watch and wait for another sale...
Any thoughts on which is a better choice?

wife to R
mama to J (10-07)
Old 02-29-2020, 04:27 PM   #30
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Check Amazon.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

Also, Amazon has a deal that if you load a gift card, they give you $10 off.

Also check Costco, if you have a membership.

I'd also check Walmart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Soliloquy For This Useful Post:
mariposa (02-29-2020)