Gentle Christian Mothers Community

Random Quotes from Wise Mamas

~* Please help keep GCM free by using our
Amazon.com affiliate link. Thank you! *~

Go Back   Gentle Christian Mothers Community > Specific Issues > Gentle Discipline *Public*
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Gentle Discipline *Public* A public forum.
GCM Webpage: Gentle Discipline

Old 11-21-2011, 03:40 PM   #211
ThreeKids
Rose Garden

ThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond reputeThreeKids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yelling Support Thread

I haven't yelled for 10 minutes.

And my kids were going to behave perfectly all the time and if they didn't, they'd be Dobsoned, but I was going to Dobson so perfectly that they'd know not to slip up but once or twice because I was going to be sooooooo consistent and awesome and wise.
ThreeKids is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ThreeKids For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (11-21-2011), nanookmama (11-21-2011), Soliloquy (11-22-2011), Tandem mama (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #212
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

I am the mountain. I am not the storm and the storm is not me. -Ian Cron

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

(((hug)) With AF past, I am MUCH MUCH calmer. Today I actually felt like a calm ocean Weird for me.

Prayer, deep breathing and diet have been my best defense against rage.

I also recently realized that a lot of times I get angry because I feel personally offended when my dc do not obey. I am trying to get over that to realize they are just kids

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
tempus vernum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
filmgirl2911 (11-21-2011), KLin (11-22-2011), kwisie (11-22-2011), movinforward (11-22-2011), nanookmama (11-21-2011), Soliloquy (11-22-2011), Tandem mama (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #213
filmgirl2911
Rose Garden

filmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond reputefilmgirl2911 has a reputation beyond repute

Iansmama - sometimes if I cannot get the babes reset, I reset me. Sometimes, that includes putting on a movie (even though it is way earlier than I'd like for a movie) and getting into the shower so that I can refocus and start the day again

It tends to help much of the time. Then, like you, I avoid my computer and get busy getting food into hungry bellies and we all move on from there.

way to go to all the mamas who are able to reshift in the moment

redeemed is a great concept for this thread, mellymommy. I tend to count on that daily

---------- Post added at 02:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonshineMama View Post
(((hug))
I also recently realized that a lot of times I get angry because I feel personally offended when my dc do not obey. I am trying to get over that to realize they are just kids
this is such a big shift for me, too. it's so hard not to fall into that mindset because it is everywhere it seems like some kind of fault if my children don't do what I asked. And yet they are 3.6 y.o. and 19 months

Loving the book Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline #nodsenthusiastically

It's really helping me work on shifting the way I view my world here at home
blessed with a sweet {but sometimes fierce} empathetic little girl since April 2010

word on the street is I am an ENFP

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
filmgirl2911 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to filmgirl2911 For This Useful Post:
jmom1984 (11-22-2011), nanookmama (11-21-2011), Soliloquy (11-22-2011), tempus vernum (11-21-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 07:21 PM   #214
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

tempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond reputetempus vernum has a reputation beyond repute

I wish I could say that Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline helped me with this. It's only been recently that I realized DEEP DEEP down I am still personally offended when my children aren't compliant. I have been gentle parenting for a decade now and have done the challenge in ETLDTD at least 2 or 3 times

Each season in our lives seems to bring out a new layer in my never ending deep emotions I've closeted away

Never imagined parenting to be this difficult

2 Corinthians 4:16 “ Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. ”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Daria_Aleksandrovna (11-29-2011), jmom1984 (11-22-2011), nanookmama (11-21-2011)
The Following User Says they are praying for tempus vernum:
KLin (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 04:04 AM   #215
swimming with sharks
Rose Garden

swimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond reputeswimming with sharks has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning Mommas! Here's your morsel for today (and I think it's EXCELLENT!!) Screamfree parenting while not always gentle is largely about learning to control YOUR reactions to things. I'm praying for all of us here as we struggle to remain calm in the face of large obstacles.

"If you do not wish to be prone to anger, do not feed the habit; give it nothing which may tend to its increase."
-Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD)

ScreamFree parents still feel anger. But instead of allowing it to control them, they can control it. Many times, people who say that they have a problem with anger are not quite ready to give it up yet. They may not like how they act when they are angry, but for a good portion of their lives, the anger has served them some meaningful purpose and it can be difficult to let go of.
Today, when you are with your children and you feel that familiar rise of anger take a pause. Tell yourself that just because you feel it, doesn’t mean that you have to feed it. And instead of replaying a scene of disrespect or looking for something to criticize in your child, deal productively with the situation at hand and look for something positive instead.
-Hal Runkel, LMFT, Author of ScreamFree Parenting
'Dragonfly' 6 yo ds
the new kid is 3.5 yo ds
always remembering the one I didn't get to hold

Mary has been healed by the blood of the lamb

swimming with sharks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to swimming with sharks For This Useful Post:
canadiyank (11-22-2011), celestial princess (11-22-2011), Dovenoir (11-30-2011), Emerald Orchid (11-22-2011), jmom1984 (11-22-2011), KLin (11-22-2011), kwisie (11-22-2011), marigold (11-22-2011), movinforward (11-22-2011), shaslove (11-28-2011), Soaring Eagle (11-29-2011), Soliloquy (11-22-2011), Tandem mama (11-22-2011), tempus vernum (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 06:11 AM   #216
tempus vernum
Rose Garden

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimming with sharks View Post
Good Morning Mommas! Here's your morsel for today (and I think it's EXCELLENT!!) Screamfree parenting while not always gentle is largely about learning to control YOUR reactions to things. I'm praying for all of us here as we struggle to remain calm in the face of large obstacles.

"If you do not wish to be prone to anger, do not feed the habit; give it nothing which may tend to its increase."
-Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD)

ScreamFree parents still feel anger. But instead of allowing it to control them, they can control it. Many times, people who say that they have a problem with anger are not quite ready to give it up yet. They may not like how they act when they are angry, but for a good portion of their lives, the anger has served them some meaningful purpose and it can be difficult to let go of.
Today, when you are with your children and you feel that familiar rise of anger take a pause. Tell yourself that just because you feel it, doesn’t mean that you have to feed it. And instead of replaying a scene of disrespect or looking for something to criticize in your child, deal productively with the situation at hand and look for something positive instead.
-Hal Runkel, LMFT, Author of ScreamFree Parenting
THAT IS PHENOMENAL.

The Following User Says Thank You to tempus vernum For This Useful Post:
Mom2tkh (11-24-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 06:58 AM   #217
movinforward
Rose Trellis

movinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond reputemovinforward has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, I sooooo needed this thread. Thank you so much. So much good information here. Esp. loved what SonShineMama said about feeling offended when DC do not obey. I am right there...I start yelling at them when they don't obey Makes me sad to realize how much I yell - yet I tell them not to yell at me! Parenting is so so hard. Why is it this difficult? I too like another poster mentioned...when I have my agenda and the kids are interrupting it, I become impatient and yell more easily. I don't want to yell. I am right here with all of you.
movinforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:26 AM   #218
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

I've started Screamfree Parenting several times - great motivation to read it again.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #219
celestial princess
Rose Garden

...sometimes I can't see it for the trees

celestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond reputecelestial princess has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I avoided this thread for a few weeks. but I've tried to think about it ... sporadically. Here's the main things I've noticed: 1) I yell when I feel angry (duh) or tired or unproductive or hindered. 2). I have a violently, almost sickeningly (as in I feel slightly nauseous) angry response to whining/tantrums/fighting/hurting each other. These realizations do not seem like forward progress. also, though, I have been recently, tentatively, typed a 3. I think there is a lightbulb in the warming up stage sover my head My mom is almost certainly a 3, but she's so ... ugh. Big feelings and baggage. Just think bad 3. And throughout my life I have HATED that about her, and HATED it about myself when it's come out. So I'm trying to run from it by putting on what seems to me to be the opposite energy type (more 2) but feeling stymied there as well, and so all that energy just comes erupting out because I'm just TRYING TO GET STUFF DONE! Like I said, the light bulb's just beginning to glow . I just wish that just WANTING to be a better parent realistically MADE you a better parent. : (
celestial princess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to celestial princess For This Useful Post:
justbreathe (11-23-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #220
canadiyank
Deactivated
I support GCM!

canadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond reputecanadiyank has a reputation beyond repute

Awful day today.
canadiyank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say they are praying for canadiyank:
Emerald Orchid (11-22-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #221
charla
Administrator

charla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond reputecharla has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I blew it earlier this afternoon.

Hugs and grace to us all.
and Hope Elizabeth, dancing for eternity
with babies: Micah Noel, Grace Anna, Andrew David

Save
Save
Save
Save
Save
charla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:57 PM   #222
mellymommy
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

mellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Did well today. As corny as it sounds, I frequently reminded myself of the SCC song that "everything ypu do, do to the glory of the one who made us..." I want to glorify God and do all as unto Him. That helps me when I am in a place where I have to help someone I am struggling to like (I won't mention any names *cough* 3.5yo *cough*).

Married since 1999, rebuilding since June 2013

Hybrid Mommy to
ds1 (12/02, SPD)
dd (9/04)
ds2 (10/07, C22 disorder)
ds3 (5/08)
ds4 (1/09)
dd2 (9/11)

http://www.themelodyward.com
htty://www.joplinmamaresurrected.blogspot.com
mellymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:09 PM   #223
Emerald Orchid
Rose Garden

Emerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond reputeEmerald Orchid has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing a lot better with the kids, but DH is driving me batty (pregnancy hormones) and I'm having a very hard time being kind with my words. He really dislikes me right now.

French-Canadian / Reader / TrailRunner / T4 / INTj / Wife to S
SAHM to 3 DS
Z (8.5) M (6.5) and T (3.5)
Adopting from China
Emerald Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #224
mellymommy
Rose Garden
I support GCM!

mellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond reputemellymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes life feels impossible when your dh doesn't like you...been there.

Married since 1999, rebuilding since June 2013

Hybrid Mommy to
ds1 (12/02, SPD)
dd (9/04)
ds2 (10/07, C22 disorder)
ds3 (5/08)
ds4 (1/09)
dd2 (9/11)

http://www.themelodyward.com
htty://www.joplinmamaresurrected.blogspot.com
mellymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mellymommy For This Useful Post:
Emerald Orchid (11-23-2011)
Old 11-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #225
Soliloquy
Rose Garden

Why climb a mountain? Because it's there!

Soliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond reputeSoliloquy has a reputation beyond repute

I've been doing much better. I stopped eating fruit for a week and felt so much calmer, then I took the whole family off fruit, officially yesterday but I tapered them down. They are like different kids. Well, the older two are.

Someone mentioned computer time. My internet access is my phone and I try not to touch my phone until afternoon. I'm not very g ood at that, but I'm trying, and it helps.
Soliloquy is offline   Reply With Quote